Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Proof that BA’s IT is stuck in the 1970s (or earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

Just wow….
NoY, MaxFlyer, the810 and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
wow - that is not good. My wife is just about to become "Dr" and I daren't show her this as our summer hols will get cancelled!!!

Is it definitely the combination of pronoun and gender that is causing the fail? EDIT: Yep, just looked more closely at the screen. wow

UK Newspapers would have a field day with this!
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by wanderingjock; Jul 1, 2022 at 12:56 pm Reason: spotted the error description
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:17 pm

Unless she’s the first female Dr to ever fly BA I would guess something else is going on! 😆
SxMan likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Yes, it's nonsense. Dr (Mrs) Bisonrav has no such issue.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
UK Newspapers would have a field day with this!
They are already. See the BA in the Media thread.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:40 pm

It is a problem, but IIRC not one of BA’s making. Some countries require mandatory submission of gender in API. If a gendered title is used, it is taken from there. If not, it has to be added separately. Admittedly the error message above is hideous and could be phrased much better.
nancypants, becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Are people jumping to conclusions? Title and gender don't match each other, or probably what's happening is she input a title and a gender that didn't match the title and gender that was on the booking or already in her profile or whatever. And it's just saying that the gender field and the title field do not match the gender field and the title field on record. Not that's it's trying to match gender with the title.
nancypants and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:40 pm

It is genuinely not an issue, or at least not a general case issue. But unfortunately once an idea has outraged a few people, it snowballs out of control. BA will have a job trying to keep a lid on this, and the irony is they're one of the most genuinely diverse and inclusive business you could find.
dddc and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
It is genuinely not an issue, or at least not a general case issue. But unfortunately once an idea has outraged a few people, it snowballs out of control. BA will have a job trying to keep a lid on this, and the irony is they're one of the most genuinely diverse and inclusive business you could find.
It literally is an issue, as the screenshot impediment demonstrates
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by skipness1E
It literally is an issue, as the screenshot impediment demonstrates
OK, I'll try again. It is not an issue in the way that is being suggested, i.e. evidence that "BA's IT is stuck in the 1970s". It's confected outrage. I think districtRich is probably on the right lines, something else has been misinterpreted.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
Earlier today I tried to enter the API for our forthcoming trip to the USA only to be given the same error message when submitting my wife's details - Title and Gender do not match.
In this case there's no 'Dr' involved, just 'Mrs' and 'Female' so I suspect there's a general fault somewhere in the system at the moment (how unusual ).
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:31 pm
formerly JackDann

I know some people think that identifying with your title is silly, but if you are to enter ‘Dr’ as a title, could this potentially be used by crew in the event of an emergency?

Regardless, if you’ve put the studying in to earn your title and the option is available then you should be allowed to select it, you earned it.

Add
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by JackDann
I know some people think that identifying with your title is silly, but if you are to enter ‘Dr’ as a title, could this potentially be used by crew in the event of an emergency?
If they're able to match the type of emergency to the doctorate topic, then maybe
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
If they're able to match the type of emergency to the doctorate topic, then maybe
If I am travelling with colleagues, the immunologist amongst us might be useful, but the historian (once they get theirs), dentist and archaeologist won't be much help
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by SpurMan
If I am travelling with colleagues, the immunologist amongst us might be useful, but the historian (once they get theirs), dentist and archaeologist won't be much help

I have Dr instead of Mr as my preferred title, so that I cannot be mistaken for a surgeon- that very thought makes me shudder

(Medical doctor humour- "do you know why surgeons are Mr, Miss or Mrs? It is to hide the fact that some of them give the impression they did not to go to medical school!)
stewardo, mrow and Tiffywren like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.