Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Proof that BA’s IT is stuck in the 1970s (or earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proof that BA’s IT is stuck in the 1970s (or earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
This remains an issue, and not just for titles like Dr etc. I'm trying to submit API for an upcoming flight for the family. Mr and Mstr Oaxaca are accepted without issue, but apparently the title and gender of Mrs and Miss Oaxaca (both female) do not match. Ironically they are already there and accepted in the API from their BAEC profiles, but when I try to update with the US address details, they get re-submitted somehow and this bug fails them. Hoping BA fixes this soon, as I would like to be able to OLCI when it opens, though guess I can call BA to have it added manually. Tedious.

Interestingly, that tab and option seems to have disappeared, at least for me. Online chat is possible, but I don't quite have the energy to copy and paste "speak to an agent" 50 times...
It should be halfway down the right of the screen on the web version of BA.com (I don't use the phone app) - its on the main page when I try both Safari and Chrome at the moment.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by camdentown
It should be halfway down the right of the screen on the web version of BA.com (I don't use the phone app) - its on the main page when I try both Safari and Chrome at the moment.
Indeed, that’s where I was expecting to see it, but not appearing for me in either Chrome on laptop, or Safari on iPad. Strange, but in any case I’ve solved the issue by going into MMB from the iPhone app (thanks to a tip in another thread here), where the API submission accepted that Mrs/Miss O are female…
camdentown likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It is incompetence. Just had to state my wife's gender as Male as the API collection screen wouldn't accept that Female matched the title Mrs!!!
camdentown likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:41 am

Any idea how to fix this? I'm getting an error with "Mr" and "male" for a flight on Wednesday and it won't allow me to complete API.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:46 am

If this helps anyone else - I went into Manage My Booking but without logging in to my account and it was accepted this time.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Keep the Mr and self identify as Female
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
Originally Posted by lemonpie
If this helps anyone else - I went into Manage My Booking but without logging in to my account and it was accepted this time.
I was getting the error entering my wife’s API while logged into my account. Logged into her account and API accepted without any problem.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Cluster One
I was getting the error entering my wife’s API while logged into my account. Logged into her account and API accepted without any problem.
Useful information, I believe that this narrows down indications of the source of the problem to be a cookie/session management problem in the web interface.
A pretty basic IT error by BA's outsourced IT provider.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
…I’ve solved the issue by going into MMB from the iPhone app (thanks to a tip in another thread here), where the API submission accepted that Mrs/Miss O are female…
iPad app also worked for me. Thanks for the idea
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:26 am

Interesting thread, I've just tried to put in the API for a trip to Spain. She isn't a Dr but a Miss. So could just be rubbish IT system rather than sexist.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
It is funny and borderline annoying (I work with a lot of them) how MDs feel entitled to be called "Doctor" and prefixed "Dr" in every bit and piece of documentation.
They are awarded a Medical Doctorate, which is a professional degree, with last name suffix MD. It is only getting more ridiculous when they want you to write "Dr. First Last, MD".

In front of patients, whatever, I don't care, do what's best for them, but please come down from your high horse when you're among colleagues, unless we are somehow regarded as inferior beings, of course.

That notwithstanding, BA's system is obviously made to create this hilarious error messages - maybe any and every error should just be "404 Page not found".
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G

Actually, here's your proof.

See the last updated time.
lorcancoyle and Rob E like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
To avoid such issues, Lady T8191 has sternly forbidden me to use any of our titles or former military ranks on ba.com. Mr and Mrs will suffice.
Dammit. 🙁
Baron T …. oops!

Can you put in Surg. Cdr. (RNR Hon) as a title in BA?. I would be impressed if that was allowed!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by SpurMan
Can you put in Surg. Cdr. (RNR Hon) as a title in BA?. I would be impressed if that was allowed!
The list of options is quite extensive, but I suspect your option is outwith their limits. Cheer up, Sir/Ma’am, it could be worse!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by T8191
The list of options is quite extensive, but I suspect your option is outwith their limits. Cheer up, Sir/Ma’am, it could be worse!
They used to have all the RAF ranks in there too, but that seems to be gone now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.