Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Proof that BA’s IT is stuck in the 1970s (or earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proof that BA’s IT is stuck in the 1970s (or earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:14 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
If they're able to match the type of emergency to the doctorate topic, then maybe
Better than nothing though innit? Although i’d be pretty disappointed if Carl Frampton (boxer given a doctorate) was trying to assist me whilst in Cardiac Arrest.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Stupid rant. This PC crap is getting way out of hand these days.
BlooJoo likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: QF WP
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Just wow….
lol
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
it just makes me think of two things:

first: "i cant operate on him, he's my son!"

second below.

third: not excusing BAs IT, but its total bs and cant even manage our API so why is it a surprise it cant manage a female dr?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Quite.

There has to be something for the white people with very easy lives to get irate about.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:33 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Completely agree - I think from now on, I will identify as a Christmas Tree and be offended every time the world will not respect and accommodate that
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by osirisSFN
There has to be something for the white people with very easy lives to get irate about.
Well, the error message does come across very 1970s style sexist.

Of course knowing ba.com, it is obvious that there is no bad intention, just the usual lack of thorough testing. I fondly recall all those flights leaving on 01/01/1970.
the810 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:38 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I fondly recall all those flights leaving on 01/01/1970.
From the title, that's what Ithought this post was going to be about.

W.r.t. the issue at hand. My understanding is that your gender doesn't get sent through in the API for most destinations, just a few, so if you aren't travelling to one of those places and haven't used the web app in its latest bugged iteration, then you wouldn't have seen this problem. Plus I think it's already fixed now.

The issue is in sexist testing . No-one had female doctor in the test (if any) they did before the code went live.
This is like automatic soap dispensers not working for people with dark skin and many other thoughtless fails.
It's not political correctness gone mad to consider your whole customer base, it's just normal diligent practice.
So it's just sloppy.

Normally when I'm educating people on these issues I use the example of Mrs O. That's her real surname, a common one where she comes from. Many airline systems refuse to let her book anything at all. That's because the systems were developed almost exclusively by nearly autistic, white, Western, men and there was no well-rounded grown up around to tell them what the world actually looked like while they were doing it. There are whole businesses whose sole purpose is to help companies get this sort of thing right. The only reasons to fail are if you don't know it exists, don't care, or are too cheap to address it.
dddc, stewardo, Kgmm77 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by DeathSlam; Jul 2, 2022 at 1:49 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
From the title, that's what Ithought this post was going to be about.

W.r.t. the issue at hand. My understanding is that your gender doesn't get sent through in the API for most destinations, just a few, so if you aren't travelling to one of those places and haven't used the web app in its latest bugged iteration, then you wouldn't have seen this problem. Plus I think it's already fixed now.

The issue is in sexist testing . No-one had female doctor in the test (if any) they did before the code went live.
This is like automatic soap dispensers not working for people with dark skin and many other thoughtless fails.
It's not political correctness gone mad to consider your whole customer base, it's just normal diligent practice.
So it's just sloppy.

Normally when I'm educating people on these issues I use the example of Mrs O. That's her real surname, a common one where she comes from. Many airline systems refuse to let her book anything at all. That's because the systems were developed almost exclusively by nearly autistic, white, Western, men and there was no well-rounded grown up around to tell them what the world actually looked like while they were doing it. There are whole businesses whose sole purpose is to help companies get this sort of thing right. The only reasons to fail are if you don't know it exists, don't care, or are too cheap to address it.
Why are you flagrantly attacking the developers of these applications by calling them "autistic" and implying they were "in need of a grown up"...?

Maybe indulge yourself in some of that morally perfect medicine you insist everyone else is in need of.

As I said above, when one's life is so devoid of any kind of struggle one has to find it in some pretty tenous (read: pathetic and embarrassing) places.
IAMORGAN, mrow, Scots_Al and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: Ba Exec club
Originally Posted by FlyerCE
Unless she’s the first female Dr to ever fly BA I would guess something else is going on! 😆
Which she clearly isn't since a couple of years ago I spoke to a female medical doctor who was also a BA pilot.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
If they're able to match the type of emergency to the doctorate topic, then maybe
my other half wad a doctor of philosophy – probably not much help in a media emergency.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
"nearly autistic" - take a long hard look in the mirror and think about what you just said, in the context of what you were saying. Then consider not saying it.

As I've said repeatedly, Dr MrsBR has never had an issue . The BA system is not designed on a title by gender basis, and BA is a hugely diverse company. The issue may well have been caused by sloppy use of a comparison operator somewhere else, not by an attitude. It's a temporary screwup, not confirmation of non neurotypical programming or whatever theory you're using to beat people who sometimes make mistakes up with.

That a hugely privileged twitter user chose to make an issue of this says more about her ego than BA's IT quite frankly.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by bisonrav
"nearly autistic" - take a long hard look in the mirror and think about what you just said, in the context of what you were saying. Then consider not saying it.

As I've said repeatedly, Dr MrsBR has never had an issue . The BA system is not designed on a title by gender basis, and BA is a hugely diverse company. The issue may well have been caused by sloppy use of a comparison operator somewhere else, not by an attitude. It's a temporary screwup, not confirmation of non neurotypical programming or whatever theory you're using to beat people who sometimes make mistakes up with.

That a hugely privileged twitter user chose to make an issue of this says more about her ego than BA's IT quite frankly.

The issue has nothing to do with your wife, her academic title or BA's approach diversity. I don't think anyone is seriously accusing BA of sexism.

They are ridiculing the carrier for extreme sloppiness in facilitating the output and allowing it to be promulgated. Carelessness is never going to be a good call for airline.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Normally when I'm educating people on these issues ....
... it's best to avoid the use of sweeping assumptions and prejudicial language.

Let's move on.
Taltem and bisonrav like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.