Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Delayed pushchair, flying again Sunday - whatís reasonable?

Old Jul 1, 22, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond

Iím after any collective wisdom or similar experiences to this situation.

My babyís pushchair was delayed when I arrived at Gatwick very early yesterday morning (Iíve already posted about the sub-optimal airport experience here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34383562-post329.html)

The pushchair didnít come out with the others at the oversize reclaim and wasnít on the belt.

As of this morning no update on BA portal or Worldtracer. My best guess it is somewhere in a big pile of luggage at Gatwick (there were at least a hundred pieces in the baggage hall when we were there).

This isnít a massive deal when weíre at home as have a bigger/less portable one too we can use.

However we are flying again (BA operated by Iberia Express) very early Sunday. Weíre travelling there tomorrow afternoon and staying overnight.

Canít take the big one with me as Iím not sure it will fit in the hire car on arrival.

If it shows up today I can hopefully arrange to collect it at Gatwick. Getting our little one there without it by public transport will be tricky but I think doable just.

The question is what would be reasonable in that circumstance? I know BA will send it on to us at our destination, but not having it for the interim will be a real pain as means holding our baby for every nap.

If I go to Argos tomorrow morning and buy another (£70 and about the cheapest on the market) do you think BA will refund it even if the old one subsequently shows up?

Unfortunately donít think Iím covered under my travel insurance as the delayed baggage cover has an exclusion for when returning home, though I am tempted to check. Thoughts?
SxMan likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lcylocal View Post
If I go to Argos tomorrow morning and buy another (£70 and about the cheapest on the market) do you think BA will refund it even if the old one subsequently shows up?
What would you do if you knew for a fact, that without a shadow of doubt, BA would not give you a penny for this?
gcuk likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
What would you do if you knew for a fact, that without a shadow of doubt, BA would not give you a penny for this?
Itís a fair question. Itís a toss up between asking the family members weíre travelling with to bring a spare one down from Yorkshire (but on a bus and three trains thanks to engineering work and with their own luggage). Then having to get it back there subsequently as weíre not travelling back together.

Or buy a new one and then selling it on Facebook Marketplace, where going rate seems to be £30. But this is hassle too (if BA paid would give the spare to charity which means wheeling it 5 mins to my local shops).

An analogous and potentially more common situation is whether BA would entertain a claim for a new suitcase, if you were only at home for a few days between flights and they couldnít get yours back to you?

Fingers crossed this is all moot and it shows up today.
Old Jul 1, 22, 4:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Itís a fair question. Itís a toss up between asking the family members weíre travelling with to bring a spare one down from Yorkshire (but on a bus and three trains thanks to engineering work and with their own luggage). Then having to get it back there subsequently as weíre not travelling back together.

Or buy a new one and then selling it on Facebook Marketplace, where going rate seems to be £30. But this is hassle too (if BA paid would give the spare to charity which means wheeling it 5 mins to my local shops).
If you take the second option, BA will pay for it, since your answer underpins the "essential" test. The first option seems easiest to me overall, since it saves a trip to Argos, but some people like going to Argos I guess. BA have paid for pushchairs, and in some places have spare pushchairs available to give when reporting the item delayed.
JD1905 and lcylocal like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 4:36 am

Programs: AA PLT
I had a car seat that was delayed for a couple of days. We absolutely couldn't do without one on this particular trip so I bought a replacement at the nearest hypermarket to the airport (just a cheap one, nothing fancy - about €70). The claim was repaid in full, no questions asked. I would hope that a cheap-ish pushchair would be treated much the same.
wanderingjock and lcylocal like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Shoot out to Argos or order one from Amazon (they have 5 under £70 delivered) and you can return it if yours arrives in the next couple of days (which it probably wont). For the little cost and high agro factor of not having one I would be getting my credit card out and worrying about it once home again. Ba will no doubt cough up anyway.
lcylocal and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Or buy a new one and then selling it on Facebook Marketplace, where going rate seems to be £30.
You could always buy a used one on Facebook Marketplace. Whereas I would hesitate to use a second hand car seat or cot mattress, it's a push chair - quick wipe over and you are good to go.
SanDiego1K and lcylocal like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 8:37 am

I have when the flight is delayed.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Going to pop out in the morning and get one if not located by then. Will report back whether BA pay (in a month or two I suspect).

Getting one at BA customer services yesterday, wasnít an option as they had closed sadly. BA should be thankful it wasnít the car seat they delayed or I would have been perusing them for a night in the Hilton and an extra days parking at walk up rates.
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I would consider your infantís push chair ďan essential itemĒ and it would ridiculous for the airline to push back on that. The fact thereís reports of them paying £1500 for people whoís hiking gear gets delayed - this should be paid without question - whether itís here or overseas is irrelevant

Search this Thread