Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How can British Airways get away with this behavior?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can British Airways get away with this behavior?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I'm a regular in many airports, never (unless desperate) book a connection in any airport of less than 3 hours. I know the London area including LHR really well. However, after a long flight into LHR, being tired and under pressure, would I have managed to book something under the BA cap? I honestly don't know. Add to it possibly being a not very experienced traveler for the LHR connection (doesn't have a visa sort of indicates this isn't the op's stomping ground), maybe not being able to find a quiet place to sit and look at options in a calm way, being a bit aggravated by booking possibly some months ago before this chaos started a totally legal connection...would be very easy to be flustered, not feeling very generous to BA staff and somewhat nervous about the next 24 hours. Most of us here are so far beyond the basic knowledge of many, many travelers that we no longer realize at all the things we simply know and take for granted....a bit of planning of a trip for someone who has no experience will show you many, many small details you simply don't even think someone doesn't know...I can actually say I've been shocked as I've been going through just the past weeks.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
the OP bashing is not acceptable especially given the fact that flights price out differently. how many times have you been on google flights and one connection is vastly more expensive than another? i mean the gall of some here towards the OP
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I find the criticism of the op for booking a perfect legal connection surprising. It is legal or it is not. If it fails the airline sorts it out ( or not in this case)

I live not so far from Heathrow. I would not consider aldershot in any way local, let alone book a hotel there. There is a lot of wise after the event comments on here which is a shame.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:39 am

Tonight there are a lot of very ordinary hotels not particularly close to Heathrow Airport going at extraordinary prices. Holiday Inn Express Hammersmith for £599 anyone? Makes my previous stays at the Sofitel look like a bargain basement stay rather than a treat!

Many actual airport hotels sold out.
Singapore_Air and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Tonight there are a lot of very ordinary hotels not particularly close to Heathrow Airport going at extraordinary prices. Holiday Inn Express Hammersmith for £599 anyone? Makes my previous stays at the Sofitel look like a bargain basement stay rather than a treat!

Many actual airport hotels sold out.
Holiday Inn Basingstoke £5,000 for tonight (£5,016 if you want breakfast)
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Agent69
It's not quite that bad actually, if you book direct on their website there's a 3% discount down to £4,850.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by cmnmia
On booking.com there are some places for less than 200. I used the search 'aldershot' and some places in farnham came up for 153 euros, a de vere in reading for slightly more. i think de vere is quite nice.
Sending someone to the 'Shot is a cruel and unusual punishment.
adrianlondon and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
I can see it at the bargain price of £4,850 or 28,000 IHG points.

You're never going to get such excellent value from your points ever again at 17.3p a point!
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Hotel Tonight (you need the app) is useful in these situations. Currently showing DoubleTree in Ealing for around £300, and DoubleTree in Woking for a mere £141. Few things in Reading as well.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
That is a lunatic exception. There are plenty of places for 10% of that. That said there is nothing at Heathrow and I would venture that all inventory is held for airlines. Clearly this a case of inflexible supply and voracious demand driving pricing. I call it price gouging and I think that it’s disgusting. No doubt this is an effort to claw back months of Covid closure. Wimbledon has much to answer for as well. Perfect storm
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps the combo of Pride march, Wimbledon, US July 4th escapes, The Open the week after, has meant that London and its surrounds are rammed.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
That is a lunatic exception. There are plenty of places for 10% of that. That said there is nothing at Heathrow and I would venture that all inventory is held for airlines. Clearly this a case of inflexible supply and voracious demand driving pricing. I call it price gouging and I think that it’s disgusting. No doubt this is an effort to claw back months of Covid closure. Wimbledon has much to answer for as well. Perfect storm
Camberley Travelodge has rooms from 73.99 for tonight.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Perhaps the combo of Pride march, Wimbledon, US July 4th escapes, The Open the week after, has meant that London and its surrounds are rammed.
Henley Regatta is also pushing up hotel prices in the Thames Valley.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Plus Adele in Hyde Park, Ed Sheeran at Wembley, Guns and Roses at Tottenham, Kings of Leon at the 02, the British GP which no doubt will have some people staying in London, Henley, this weekend is like they decided there would never be time to do any events again..
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:36 am

To me, this is very simple. BA sold a ticket and entered into a contract. They sold a legal connection and were unable to get the passenger onto the connecting flight. They have a legal requirement to provide duty of care which they completely failed to provide.

I can't believe the posters on here who are in some way trying to blame the passenger for not knowing they could have got a cheaper hotel in Aldershot for example... Or for not having a backup plan.... It is entirely BA's responsibility to have sorted this out - and they (again) have failed spectacularly.

But BA will continue to fail until the regulator actually enforces them to do so, and for whatever reason they will not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.