Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How can British Airways get away with this behavior?

How can British Airways get away with this behavior?

Old Jul 1, 22, 8:01 am
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 12,589
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
The wife of the OP in this thread found a room at the Premier Inn T5 (I think) for about £100 last night. She booked it very,last minute.

Last night there were few rooms to be had it is true.
EDI 1455 Delayed, will miss CPH Connection Tonight
I spotted that, but at the same time others have mentioned above that Premier Inn isn't available on all websites. I don't know that I would've known I needed to search separate websites for Premier Inn availability, so especially in a stressful time like the OP experienced, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. But it's funny the traveler in that thread was given a hotel voucher that in the end they didn't use, yet the OP who could've really used one couldn't get one.
wrp96 is online now  
Old Jul 1, 22, 8:04 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London
Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Posts: 427
Sounds like a bad experience, appreciate this was more of a rant. However - I’m struggling with this:

Originally Posted by sherkhan View Post
The ground staff are some of the most incredibly rude, borderline racist people I've ever had the misfortune of encountering in my life.
How were they borderline racist? That is quite a serious accusation. Did British Airways book every person of every different skin colour into hotels apart from you? Please do elaborate and indeed ensure you don’t just scream racism at BA but include names and facts in your full complaint when you write it.

Furthermore, your hotel choice seems frankly ridiculous. A friend was coming down from Glasgow last night and quoted £280 for Hyatt Haynes. I then had a look myself on Expedia, Hotels.com and Trivago to see many hotels in the Hounslow and Ealing area for circa. £170. Heck Premier Inn was just north of £100. I’d have struggled to spend $700 and move an hour away, so expect pushback on this. What is the upper limit of your travel insurance? I reiterate these were prices last night at 6pm.

Lastly, to those defending the OP’s hotel choice; they knew they were on an exceedingly short layover on a risky ticket without a visa to enter the UK. They said they knew this before the trip had begun. Basic question I’d have asked myself would be “what if I miss this connection - the next flight isn’t until the next day”.
ScienceTeacher is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 8:09 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Posts: 2,397
Just checked on Booking.com and it's a pretty grim scene- very little in the £200-£300 category, and they look like pretty dreary places, but they are there. Most places are in the £500-£700 category, which is pretty extortionate, even for London. The Holiday Inn Express in Limehouse is about £600!!!!

My advice to anyone who has the misfortune of being caught out tonight is to book a hotel in Reading. You can get a coach there quite easily and there is plenty of availability sub £200. It's not ideal, but it saves you having to pay silly money for frankly mostly bang average (at best) hotels.
becks1 likes this.
South London Bon Viveur is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 8:22 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher View Post
Lastly, to those defending the OP’s hotel choice; they knew they were on an exceedingly short layover on a risky ticket without a visa to enter the UK. They said they knew this before the trip had begun. Basic question I’d have asked myself would be “what if I miss this connection - the next flight isn’t until the next day”.
Have we sunk so low that it is no longer reasonable to assume that they might then answer their question with "rely on my legal and consumer rights and that the company I have paid possibly several thousand pounds to transport me from A to B will look after me"?

Also - it may be tight but where does the average customer draw the line? It is above the maximum and BA were fine to take his money on the basis of this arrangement. If he had arranged his own illegal connection below the minimum then that is a different story. But if BA say it is ok to book 65 minutes why should the average consumer assume they cannot trust BA's word on it? I am sure most people readily accept that missed connections are a possibility but assume that if they book something BA say they can do and BA dont, then BA will then make it right.

I think inside these virtual walls we forget that most "normal" (not to suggest anyone here isn't normal!!!) people would never conceive of such a turn of events from a company who trades on their premium reputation for good customer service. (tick tock...)

Last edited by Sharratt4; Jul 1, 22 at 8:47 am
Sharratt4 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 8:32 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 5
Even if by law they are clear they lost their reputation.
retailscrap is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 8:38 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London
Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Posts: 427
Originally Posted by Sharratt4 View Post
Have we sunk so low that it is no longer reasonable to assume that they might then answer their question with "rely on my legal and consumer rights and that the company I have paid possibly several thousand pounds to transport me from A to B will look after me"?
Yes. It is unreasonable to rant on a public forum and not expect any kick back for paying £620 for a Hotel one hour away when many were available for half that much closer. Completely unreasonable.

Originally Posted by Sharratt4 View Post

Also - it may be tight but where does the average customer draw the line? It is above the maximum and BA were fine to take him money on the basis of this arrangement. If he had arranged his own illegal connection below the minimum then that is a different story. But if BA say it is ok to book 65 minutes why should the average consumer assume they cannot trust BA's word on it? I am sure most people readily accept that missed connections are a possibility but assume that if they book something BA say they can do and BA dont, then BA will then make it right.
Nobody has told the OP not to agree with BA’s minimum connection time. People, including myself have pointed out that some sort of ‘contingency planning’ would not go amiss in these scenarios as the OP even admitted to knowing it was risky and short.

Originally Posted by Sharratt4 View Post
I think inside these virtual walls we forget that most "normal" (not to suggest anyone here isn't normal!!!) would never conceive of such a turn of events from a company who trades on their premium reputation for good customer service. (tick tock...)
Disagree. I’d fully expect normal people to step back - after realising they’ve book a short connection - to ask themselves ‘what if there is a five minute delay and I miss my connection?’. Especially if transiting a country they do not have a visa for.

I suspect yourself (and the OP) expected BA to suddenly open a new Hotel Block down the road to make it right? BA are responsible for the delay, yes, and will compensate the OP up to a certain amount.

But when travelling halfway across the world, without a visa, data plan for a transiting country, or even a backup plan for when things go wrong… exclaiming “they were racist” and not taking some onus on fixing it oneself lies with the traveller. BA get you there 99.9% of the time, but you have to be prepared on big journeys like this for when they don’t. It is not ‘Breaking News’ right now that airlines are struggling, everywhere.
ScienceTeacher is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:07 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher View Post
Yes. It is unreasonable to rant on a public forum and not expect any kick back for paying £620 for a Hotel one hour away when many were available for half that much closer. Completely unreasonable.



Nobody has told the OP not to agree with BA’s minimum connection time. People, including myself have pointed out that some sort of ‘contingency planning’ would not go amiss in these scenarios as the OP even admitted to knowing it was risky and short.



Disagree. I’d fully expect normal people to step back - after realising they’ve book a short connection - to ask themselves ‘what if there is a five minute delay and I miss my connection?’. Especially if transiting a country they do not have a visa for.

I suspect yourself (and the OP) expected BA to suddenly open a new Hotel Block down the road to make it right? BA are responsible for the delay, yes, and will compensate the OP up to a certain amount.

But when travelling halfway across the world, without a visa, data plan for a transiting country, or even a backup plan for when things go wrong… exclaiming “they were racist” and not taking some onus on fixing it oneself lies with the traveller. BA get you there 99.9% of the time, but you have to be prepared on big journeys like this for when they don’t. It is not ‘Breaking News’ right now that airlines are struggling, everywhere.
But what contingency planning is expected or reasonable? He booked a legal connection (which as they pointed out was the only one that fitted with their schedule), it is quite black and white - either he makes it and most of the time people do, great, if he doesn't then why can't he assume as per everything he would have been able to read from or be told by BA (we shouldn't expect that people will come here and discover the reality) that he will receive duty of care and be looked after until his replacement flight?

BA don't sell illegal connections / risky connections - best make a back up plan / legal connections.

What back up plans should the OP have made? Arranged a visa just in case? Booked a hotel room just in case? Booked another back up flight just in case? Perhaps BA should be clearer and sell the above options for connections priced accordingly. So at least people know where they stand. As it is they don't and it is binary - either it is a legal connection or it isn't, and if it is I don't think it is unreasonable of the average passenger not to take their word for it.

And regarding hotel costs, yes it is a very high rate indeed butI am not sure we should all be so judgemental, I am quite sure that the OP didn't wish to folk out $700 if their own cold hard cash, at risk. So one can assume rightly or wrongly, that in the moment, they did the best they could with the knowledge, information and time available. I think it is a bit harsh to be quite so judgemental about it with the benefit of hindsight and having not been there. It may have been the best room in London but if BA had done what they promised he wouldn't have seen the outside of the airport, so it isn't a situation they chose to be in.

And in regards to expecting BA to open a new hotel block - of course not, but if that is what was required, it rather suggests that there were no rooms available as per the OPs version of events. You can't have it both ways, either there were cheaper hotel rooms available locally in which case why shouldn't BA be responsible for booking them for him or they weren't in which case an expensive alternative elsewhere is required.

Im really not here to argue however, so please don't read it with such a tone, we are all welcome to our own takes on things!

As a related aside, I do wonder whether some creative thinking could help both BA and its passengers... surely they could do a deal with a large travel agency for a dedicated hotline for booking accommodation in IROPS. That way the passengers can just be given a number to call to be looked after and would feel better about BA and not have to worry navigating London accommodation options and BA can always be sure that they are giving people the cheapest acceptable room available at the time. They could even do some kind of arrangement where you provide your booking reference and someone in a back office checks they were really IRROP'd after the event, anyone trying to pull a fast one could then be sent the bill.

Or...as a nuclear option, should BA be considering extending their London Airports MCTs temporarily given their operational "challenges" at the minute (it wouldn't help those already booked of course who would still be in the same position, but might help to taper off future issues for the next few months till things are hopefully more back to normal times (remember those!!!).
Sharratt4 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:46 am
  #53  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 11,064
Simply put, this thread boils down to the fact that hotels were expensive on the night of 30th June with very limited local availability.

Now, BA have an obligation under their Duty Of Care so the OP should be made good on the costs.

That's about it really.
golfmad is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:47 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Effectively grounded
Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Posts: 841
Originally Posted by Sharratt4 View Post
...
As a related aside, I do wonder whether some creative thinking could help both BA and its passengers... surely they could do a deal with a large travel agency for a dedicated hotline for booking accommodation in IROPS. That way the passengers can just be given a number to call to be looked after and would feel better about BA and not have to worry navigating London accommodation options and BA can always be sure that they are giving people the cheapest acceptable room available at the time. They could even do some kind of arrangement where you provide your booking reference and someone in a back office checks they were really IRROP'd after the event, anyone trying to pull a fast one could then be sent the bill.
...
I think anyone who has spent time with senior level people in a big organisation knows that "do the profitable thing" outranks "do the right thing by our customer" 99.999% of the time.

No doubt some shiny young grads at Waterside will have crunched the numbers and concluded that the (very real and present) cost of establishing such customer-friendly functions, processes and systems far outweighs the expected (future avoided) costs of compensation, reimbursement, poor hotel rates, reputational damage and potential loss of revenue.

I have seen projects which would return multi-millions annually not getting the green light because something else has a better payback, so things to help the customer which don't help cashflow or profitability struggle to even make it onto the list for discussion...
OverTheHorizon is online now  
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:11 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon View Post
I think anyone who has spent time with senior level people in a big organisation knows that "do the profitable thing" outranks "do the right thing by our customer" 99.999% of the time.

No doubt some shiny young grads at Waterside will have crunched the numbers and concluded that the (very real and present) cost of establishing such customer-friendly functions, processes and systems far outweighs the expected (future avoided) costs of compensation, reimbursement, poor hotel rates, reputational damage and potential loss of revenue.

I have seen projects which would return multi-millions annually not getting the green light because something else has a better payback, so things to help the customer which don't help cashflow or profitability struggle to even make it onto the list for discussion...
Alas, you are probably right.

Management: How much would it cost?
Staffer £x.
Manager: How much would we potentially save in the future?
Staffer: *scratches head* erm, dunno, depends how often we screw up.
Management: Well as I have insisted to the board that we very rarely screw up and when we do it is almost never our fault, please file this report in the shredder.

Twas ever thus, I guess!
the810 and futuramadramallama like this.
Sharratt4 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:26 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by sherkhan View Post
This is an infuriated rant because BA is probably not only the most pathetic airline experiences but one of the worst experiences I have ever had as a consumer. I'm flying BOM to JFK on June 30 with a layover in LHR. The layover was tight, 65 minutes but it was unfortunately the only itinerary that worked for me timeframe when I was looking to book. Lo and behold, my flight is delayed from BOM, which is fine, it happens, BA says the earliest the can rebook me is July 1 at 12pm and no other alternative. Mind you I don't have a UK visa but find out that its possible to stay in transit overnight if leaving the next day and BA ground staff in Mumbai ASSURE me that staff in London will arrange for an overnight hotel and transportation to and from the airport.
I get to LHR unprepared for what an absolute shitshow it is. The ground staff are some of the most incredibly rude, borderline racist people I've ever had the misfortune of encountering in my life. At least I'm on the younger side and speak English, there were older folks there who were utterly confused and getting treated [mod edit: very badly] by the airline staff. Now BA completely reneged their promise of accommodation and transport from LHR. The say find your own place to stay and we will reimburse up to $200. It was a cruel goddamn joke. The was literally no hotel availability ANYWHERE CLOSE to LHR. Literally every single place was sold out. Forget $200, nothing could be found for even $500-600. So here I am in the UK with no visa, no hotel and an airline that could not be bothered. Ultimately after about 2 hours of looking one of my friends who lives outside London in the UK managed to find a hotel an hour away from Heathrow for $750. So now I am forced to buy a sim to have internet, pay for the uber all the way out here and all the way back tomorrow to hopefully make the flight (the only reason I have hope is because its operated by American). And for all this incredible stress BA is going to offer me a measly $200. I seriously cannot believe they are allowed to get away with this behavior.
You were totally unrealistic when booking your flights and you cannot blame anyone else for that. Booking a 65min transfer time is asking for trouble at any time, let alone at a huge busy airport such as Heathrow during the well publicised post Covid problems we have at the moment. In normal times, I allow 3hrs transfer time when transiting through Dubai with Emirates, but even then on one occasion, I missed my connection and my baggage was delayed. I’m sorry for your difficulties. I know LHR and BA both are not at their most efficient at present but to maximise the chance of a successful easy journey, you need to minimise the likelihood of complications and customer service involvement and you did the opposite!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Dorowilson is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:34 am
  #57  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 11,064
Originally Posted by Dorowilson View Post
You were totally unrealistic when booking your flights and you cannot blame anyone else for that. Booking a 65min transfer time is asking for trouble at any time, let alone at a huge busy airport such as Heathrow during the well publicised post Covid problems we have at the moment.
I disagree with this. It was a valid connection and provided it was not essential that the OP arrived on time (i.e. in time for a wedding or some such) then it's perfectly reasonable to book a short connection. The airline will sort it out and the OP should be back less than 24 hours late. The only problem here is that hotels were in short supply.
golfmad is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:45 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
I disagree with this. It was a valid connection and provided it was not essential that the OP arrived on time (i.e. in time for a wedding or some such) then it's perfectly reasonable to book a short connection. The airline will sort it out and the OP should be back less than 24 hours late. The only problem here is that hotels were in short supply.
Yes, it may be technically possible to buy a ticket with a 65min connection at T5 but in these circumstances it’s hardly wise to put oneself in a position where one has to depend on customer services. It can take up to an hour to get off a plane at the moment at LHR as gate allocation and follow up services are so slow. It’s just common sense to minimise complications at the moment.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Dorowilson is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:55 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by Sharratt4 View Post
Have we sunk so low that it is no longer reasonable to assume that they might then answer their question with "rely on my legal and consumer rights and that the company I have paid possibly several thousand pounds to transport me from A to B will look after me"?

Also - it may be tight but where does the average customer draw the line? It is above the maximum and BA were fine to take his money on the basis of this arrangement. If he had arranged his own illegal connection below the minimum then that is a different story. But if BA say it is ok to book 65 minutes why should the average consumer assume they cannot trust BA's word on it? I am sure most people readily accept that missed connections are a possibility but assume that if they book something BA say they can do and BA dont, then BA will then make it right.

I think inside these virtual walls we forget that most "normal" (not to suggest anyone here isn't normal!!!) people would never conceive of such a turn of events from a company who trades on their premium reputation for good customer service. (tick tock...)
There has been lots of recent publicity about poor service, delays and problems at Heathrow, post Covid, particularly with British Airways. I would expect normal people to apply common sense and build in a bigger margin for error than usual when making their travel plans, just to minimise the chance of complications and the need for BA customer service intervention, especially when it’s purported to be so inadequate at present. It’s just a matter of being prudent and taking responsibility for the likely consequences of one’s own actions.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Dorowilson is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:59 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
[QUOTE=Dorowilson;34387342]You were totally unrealistic when booking your flights and you cannot blame anyone else for that.QUOTE]

which rather begs the question as to why BA, who are probably better versed in their operational situation than the customer, promised to do so, and took his money in return.

see my point above re MCTs…
the810 and futuramadramallama like this.
Sharratt4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread