Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How can British Airways get away with this behavior?

How can British Airways get away with this behavior?

Old Jul 1, 22, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC
I checked hotels the other evening as I was worried my plane was about to be cancelled and I could find nothing south of £500 anywhere near Heathrow, a few options at £450 started to pop up when I took the radius on Trivago to 20 miles. So I can believe the OP’s figures. There were reasonable options briefly popping up at Bath Road hotels but when you clicked through to book, they’d already gone. It is probably the busiest week in London since the pandemic, given Wimbledon and a full Wembley each night for Ed Sheeran.
wrp96, ysolde, mpkz and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 1:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
my colleague is at the great northern kings cross due to a travel hiccup and while his corp rate was near 600$ the regular rates are over 1100 at the moment. wimbledon, lots of americans starting their jul 4 travel hols, adele two nights at hyde park, summer trav...there is literally near nothing left in london at the moment this week/end.
LondonAndy, wrp96, mpkz and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by Ghoulish View Post
The casualness with which accusations of racism, just about the worst thing you can accuse someone of thee days, is disturbing.

If you're going to level such a charge, some detail should accompany it.
The worst example of overt racism that I have ever witnessed occurred some years ago on the part of a BA staff member at the entrance to the T5 Concorde lounge. Their rudeness to another pax trying to enter was breathtaking. I reported on it here and my comment was picked up and followed up on by BA. I was never told what happened afterwards.
Old Jul 1, 22, 1:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, but as we saw in the EDI - CPH thread, there were rooms available if you knew where to look. I would encourage the OP to put their problems into this forum at the time since there is usually someone around who can help. There were a lot of missed connections this week, and probably more to come in the next few days. This will make travel unpleasant. I was sitting on Monday next to someone fairly young brandishing a First seat to JFK on BA183 and as our flight got more delayed in became clear to both of us that her First experience wasn't going to happen, made worse by the fact that her fiancé was starting in London, on a separate ticket, so he was forced to take that flight without her. She was managing the stiff upper lip very well indeed, but just another example of someone having a bad experience.

But yes, BA will cover the hotel cost, the taxi and the meal costs, and comms too (though not necessarily a SIM I suspect). It's the law, they don't have a choice about that.
Old Jul 1, 22, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL (Gallium Guest List), QRPC Molybdenum, Skywards Zirconium
Originally Posted by VSLover View Post
my colleague is at the great northern kings cross due to a travel hiccup and while his corp rate was near 600$ the regular rates are over 1100 at the moment. wimbledon, lots of americans starting their jul 4 travel hols, adele two nights at hyde park, summer trav...there is literally near nothing left in london at the moment this week/end.
Yep. Would suggest getting a hotel this weekend if any IRROPS will be an absolute disaster. Also London Pride this weekend just to make sure hotel visitors are ramped up to the absolute max.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:03 am

If you're in a pickle, there is some availability at Premier Inns, for today and tomorrow, in:

1. Kew Bridge road (handy for the N9 night bus)
2. Hammersmith Shepherd's Bush Road
3. Kingston

Travelodge also has some rooms in Egham and Fulham (closest I could find to LHR).
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL (Gallium Guest List), QRPC Molybdenum, Skywards Zirconium
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post
Under EC261, you're entitled to a certain amount here, although you will have to show that you acted reasonably - which is what's behind BA's recommended hotel cost limit of £200 (not $), which they will pay without quibble. Beyond that, they'd expect you to show some evidence that you took the cheapest reasonable option, as would any court if the claim ever got that far.

Now I can see on the IHG website that there's an Intercontinental hotel in central London available for less than $750 - at the O2, for £565. There's even a hotel 20 miles from Heathrow for £174, within BA's guideline amount. The Holiday Inn at Reading was close to the budget. So, you might expect some pushback when you try and claim $750.
The IC at the 02 is nearly an hour and a half from LHR. Whilst the greedy owner was happy for it to be a quarantine hotel, I’m not sure I consider it fair to expect someone to book it - you’d get to LHR more quickly booking a hotel in Oxford…
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:32 am

The hotel cost problem is probably not helped by the fact that Travelodge (and possibly premier inn too, but I might be wrong on that) - where many rooms at the cheaper end of things can only be booked directly. So if you are not familiar with the uk you naturally would go to Expedia etc and not be shown these as an option. I think I am correct in saying but someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong!
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I would encourage the OP to put their problems into this forum at the time since there is usually someone around who can help.
Indeed, I think that is a hugely important point - no even just here but I think my advice to anyone facing disruptions is "ask around" to friends, family, etc. Even the most seasoned of travellers do not have their brain on 100% when facing situations which are stressful, disruptive and worrying, internet connections are not always ideal and so on. One of my friends had her plane cancelled last weekend to a small airport and the airline was telling them nothing was available for 4 whole days with any airline. She was ready to join forces with others to do some 12 hour drive with car sharing then had a good idea of talking to me and I found same day flights to two nearby airports with direct train connections.
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:51 am

I think the key point here is to act reasonably and take screenshots. If you have a couple of PDFs from Expedia showing that the cheapest option there was, say, £550, I think you'd be fine in the £550-£600 range. I don't think it would be reasonable to only check one provider (say, taking a £1000 final room at the Sofitel), but equally it's not reasonable to penalise the passenger for --not-- checking one provider (and so missing a £150 room at a Travelodge).
bafan, wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Never Stansted View Post
I think the key point here is to act reasonably and take screenshots. If you have a couple of PDFs from Expedia showing that the cheapest option there was, say, £550, I think you'd be fine in the £550-£600 range. I don't think it would be reasonable to only check one provider (say, taking a £1000 final room at the Sofitel), but equally it's not reasonable to penalise the passenger for --not-- checking one provider (and so missing a £150 room at a Travelodge).
I'm not super familiar with hotel booking sites, but I think that chains like Premier Inn and Travelodge don't normally appear on those aggregators (at least, they don't seem to on Booking.com?). So I'd really encourage people to check them too.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
I'm not super familiar with hotel booking sites, but I think that chains like Premier Inn and Travelodge don't normally appear on those aggregators (at least, they don't seem to on Booking.com?). So I'd really encourage people to check them too.
I certainly agree it's a good idea to, was just saying I don't think it would be reasonable for BA to refuse a claim if someone hadn't found a cheaper option in such circumstances.

I try to use Trivago which shows Premier Inn and Travelodge, just linking you through to their sites if you want to book.
the810 and 13901 like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 3:09 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, BA Gold
Question is - if you dont have a UK visa then how did you manage to go through immigration?
LETTERBOY and J343 like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 3:16 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Originally Posted by Ghoulish View Post
The casualness with which accusations of racism, just about the worst thing you can accuse someone of thee days, is disturbing.

If you're going to level such a charge, some detail should accompany it.
I rewrote your comment bud. It is important we listen to our non white community to better understand their experiences… not demand details over understanding.

‘I’m so sorry to hear you had to deal with racist staff and attitudes on top of a stressful travel day. It is unacceptable. Could you help me better understand what happened here?’
Old Jul 1, 22, 3:25 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
It's depressing how many people try to argue with users here regarding hotels etc. It can be difficult enough if you know BA's rules and are an experienced traveler. It's even harder if you have no idea where to look and are told to go find yourself a hotel for the night while also needing to rearrange other things because you're obviously not going to arrive when you were supposed to. Maybe the problem is BA giving no help or guidance to passengers it has failed rather than blaming passengers for short connections (which BA sold them) or for booking a hotel that's too expensive.

Search this Thread