787 Toilet Flush Question

Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
787 Toilet Flush Question

My eight year old daughter was faffing around in the 787 toilets in F on a BA flight and having already finished got spooked when the toilets then appeared to flush themselves again a few minutes later without button being pressed again. I noticed the same thing again later - the toilet seemingly flushing itself not upon request a few minutes after being used.

She today asked me why this happens, I said I didn’t know and so with all the wisdom of an 8 year old said “Why don’t you ask on Flyer Talk daddy?” (She’s wise and possibly spends too long listening to me).

So - was this one 787 bathroom having it’s own issues or is it a normal thing on them I’ve just not noticed before and if so, why and is there any way to stop it?

Not exactly a matter of the utmost importance but my daughter is keen to have the 787 auto flushing toilet mystery solved.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
The answer is actually on FT already!

To quote from the 787 seating guide thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1645350-seating-guide-boeing-787-dreamliner.html

(In the Wiki)

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:....The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment
Jimmie76 and BERGBRLY like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
All I can think of is they have a sensor on them as well as a traditional button, so you just have to wave your hand over the button and they flush.

I don't suppose you covered the button when it happened did you?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The toilet flush switch is a combination infrared control (touchless) and manual control (touch). Initiate the flush cycle by hand motion in front of the switch or pressing the switch. Once the flush cycle begins, there is an automatic 15 second delay for a system reset before the next flush cycle can be initiated. This delay conserves water by preventing consecutive flushes if the flush switch is repeatedly activated by either method.
FlightDetective and Jimmie76 like this.

Last edited by Can I help you; Jun 30, 2022 at 3:00 pm Reason: Correct answer
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Ah missed it in the seating guide but thank you very much for the answers and the details
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by guytp
Ah missed it in the seating guide but thank you very much for the answers and the details
Apologies - I meant to add a smiley in my original post, after all why would anyone look there!!?

I only found it by searching keywords as I knew they had sensors. Didn't mean to imply you should have known it was there!
guytp likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Nice to see a thread not about cancelled flights
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Cancelled toilets?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:07 am
Original Poster

This has caused quite the conversation this morning over breakfast. Apparently the 787 is out from fleet decisions going forward.

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I can probably add some complaints from my daughter about recent CW flight from the eyes of an 8 year old to keep it on recent theme. Suffice to say even I’m the eyes of a younger frequent flyer current operational difficulties are noticed and baffling! To prevent her ending up on DYKWIA I’ll stick to bathroom questions for now
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC
I think there are few things more annoying than the automatic flush with a sensor. Move just a little bit and off it goes!
They are to be found in bathrooms in cinemas, department stores, theatres not just aircraft and it always strikes me that the designers forgot that at least 50% of the population always sit down. I’m pretty sure that’s a higher percentage in the air as well as it’s less accident prone or so gentlemen of my acquaintance tell me.
guytp likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues
I think there are few things more annoying than the automatic flush with a sensor. Move just a little bit and off it goes!
They are to be found in bathrooms in cinemas, department stores, theatres not just aircraft and it always strikes me that the designers forgot that at least 50% of the population always sit down. I’m pretty sure that’s a higher percentage in the air as well as it’s less accident prone or so gentlemen of my acquaintance tell me.
As a gentleman I have to say that Lufthansa urinal onboard is about as unappealing as can be during flight.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues
I hate it when the toilet flushes as you sit down, I'm not a fan of bidets!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by BR787
Cancelled toilets?
Cancelled flushes?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Oh for Toto toilets onboard
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
JAL F has two toilets, one is the grandiose passenger toilet (and the other is a much more standard Boeing lav which passengers can use but is probably mainly for the forward crew). The grandiose one has a washlet (unsure if it's a Toto).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.