Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Always print out your docs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
But I'm old school and paranoid

Might have pdf copies of boarding pass, covid pass, hotel booking, coach ticket all stored on my phone, but still have hard copies in my hand luggage. What if I lost my phone or run out of charge....
(Also have a backup copy in suitcase)

My kids laugh at me
I do exactly the same; nothing wrong with this! 3 copies of everything (phone, hand luggage and hold luggage)
Yahillwe, JimEddie and PETER01 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
As we all know, it’s impossible to misplace a piece of paper. 😉
Mrs RC very rarely loses a piece of paper. Whereas she asks me ten times a day where she left her phone...
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Might have pdf copies of boarding pass, covid pass, hotel booking, coach ticket all stored on my phone, but still have hard copies in my hand luggage. What if I lost my phone or run out of charge....

My kids laugh at me
Old School and Fusspot.

I can find my papers tout de suite. I may have connection problems and all sorts of battery issues. Whe we had Covid tests and had (well I did) to do Verifly I took Scrren shots as I have for our Covid Vaccination Q codes. Idem Boarding passes and confirmations for cars.

What I do try and do is have everything to hand so as not to delay others.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Last October when I flew to MLA I printed out both my NHS certificate and EU PLF. Two quick scans and I was through the arrivals Covid check in seconds while other people were struggling to find the docs on their phones.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
A bit OT but I do get the impression that mobile BPs take longer at the gate than paper ones
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

My kids laugh at me
Have to say for our US trip in April I bought a plastic wallet file and had all the paperwork printed out - covid vaccination certificates, ESTAs, insurance details, as well as hotel and hire car info. Just piece of mind. Verifly negated most of that, but it was within easy reach at the check in desk if needed.

Our recent Caribbean holiday needed absolutely nothing paperwork wise, and it was just like a pre-covid trip, which was refreshing!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
The battery has never died on a paper boarding pass.

Seen many people stuck in transit security at Narita with a phone that won't turn on.
volabam and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by T8191
100% with you. Placing all my 'travel eggs' in one basket of potentially vulnerable technology? No thanks! Even if I had a smart phone, which I don't.

Paper doesn't need batteries, is not attractive to thieves and is unlikely to be lost down the side of a sofa in a lounge.

I did, however, recently back up my paper docs with scanned images in my iPad photo library ... a sort of reverse backup in case someone demanded to see an electronic version!

Along the same lines: I was boarding a flight out of LGA a few weeks ago. The gate next to me was a flight going into Canada. The gate agent made an announcement that they could not accept mobile boarding passes. Everyone had to have a paper boarding pass.
I have no clue why. Aren't mobile bp's good for international travel???
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by RRROOO
Along the same lines: I was boarding a flight out of LGA a few weeks ago. The gate next to me was a flight going into Canada. The gate agent made an announcement that they could not accept mobile boarding passes. Everyone had to have a paper boarding pass.
I have no clue why. Aren't mobile bp's good for international travel???
Usually. But there are some places I would never go without a paper boarding pass (Colombia, Philippines, etc.)
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC
In addition to printing off essential docs, I also screenshot anything App based (covid pass, boarding passes etc), so if the Ap doesn;'t function I'm ok, if my phone doesn't function I'm ok. It maybe a bit old school but it only takes one malfunction to ruin the best laid plans for holidays etc.
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
In the few years pre-COVID I had got out of the habit of printing everything off but since travel resumed I have started to do it again. Not only for loss of phone, data or power but it's a lot easier to pull a piece of paper out of a folder than flip through lots of apps and emails. I flew to Spain last year and they had one queue for paper certificates and another for people with electronic ones. The paper queue moved a lot faster as there was much less delay in people fiddling for the right QR code.

Printing everything off - parking, hotel, flights, transfers and other boookings also helps me think through a trip and make sure I haven't forgotten anything.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:24 pm

I don’t own a printer. And I’m too busy having breakfast in the lounge to do it there (sorry, couldn’t resist )

In all seriousness, saving files to my iPad is as good as printing them out. No waste of paper, and no risk of an app going down. iPad batteries last much longer than phones.
wrp96, ratechaser and James91 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:36 pm

definitely an old school thing and you do whatever makes you feel better.. however in the past ten years of flying quite extensively and all over the world i have not printed out any document that wasn't required (some visas i would print out)

i make sure my battery is charged. all my docs are saved off line; so dont need internet to access the docs. The amount of times that a phone has died on me is less than the amount of times i've misplaced papers. People keep their phones close to them at all times and make sure they're charged; much less likely to lose your phone than to lose papers. Either way, do what works best for you, but lets be real, the odds of your phone not being sufficient are miniscule.
noFODplease, James91 and llynsoch like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just store pdf of docs in a cloud drive service, I like OneDrive. If phone fails you always have your other phone, and if that fails your tablet, and if that fails your laptop 😀
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:57 pm

On our first trip abroad after lockdown, it turned out the day we flew our GP changed franchise - who knew that was a thing - and IT provider. The NHS App could no longer access our medical records and we lost our NHS covid pass, just as we were about to leave for Heathrow! Fortunately I had saved a PDF, which I was able to then print, but wish I had done earlier! Good advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.