Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Expectations for Heathrow on first weekend of July

Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have a flight fairly early morning this Saturday (July 2nd) around 8am-ish and I was wondering what I should expect.
This is the first weekend in July, i.e. what I would suspect to be peak holiday season. Should I expect the worst and turn up several hours before my flight (i.e. middle of the night) or should I expect to be OK arriving between 60 and 90 minutes before my flight (no access to first wing but flying CE so with 'normal' priority)?
I noted this thread and was wondering, in particular, whether we should expect chaos this weekend?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Mmm, with the way things have been going the last 24-48 hours anything could happen however for now I'd stay optimistic as much as I could and here's hoping your flight goes as normal.

It's worth bearing in mind though the majority of flights are operating.
We're seeing cancellations, even one after someone tried to check into the EDI lounge although there were ATC issues in Germany today.

Putting all that to one side its not yet the English School Holidays as yet but the Scottish Schools break up tomorrow/Friday. Saturday is generally ish a bit quieter at T5 and I'd just go to whatever security is least busy.

Pesonally, I'd aim to arrive for about 6.15 am

Keep a close eye on your emails/ flights and one thing I've noted over the years especially when there's been disruption, cancellations etc is have a plan B in case it all goes wrong on the day.
NickB and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by NickB
I have a flight fairly early morning this Saturday (July 2nd) around 8am-ish and I was wondering what I should expect.
This is the first weekend in July, i.e. what I would suspect to be peak holiday season. Should I expect the worst and turn up several hours before my flight (i.e. middle of the night) or should I expect to be OK arriving between 60 and 90 minutes before my flight (no access to first wing but flying CE so with 'normal' priority)?
I noted this thread and was wondering, in particular, whether we should expect chaos this weekend?
who knows? Meant to be flying EDI-LHR-JFK on 7/1. Currently my EDI-LHR doesn’t show in manage my booking/app but it does on FlightAware. Thankfully on AA from LHR-JFK
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:51 am

I've just travelled to IBZ and back, leaving LHR on Sunday morning, flew back in last night.

I'd say LHR T5 was a breeze. Slight queue at security on Sunday morning, but through within 15 minutes. Lounge was much quieter than last time I visited in May and flight left on time. No complaints at all.

Flew back in last night and IBZ airport was chaos, flight left 50 minutes late, but to be fair LHR was fine again. No queues at the e-gates at all on arrival, straight through and out. From landing to the car in about 30 minutes.
becks1 and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Flying to TFS at 07:30 on Saturday morning. Planning on getting to T5 at around 5:30am - surely it will be nice and quiet then and I'll be straight off to the lounge

Going hand baggage only as I don't want to risk delays with the handlers.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
in the morning i'd imagine things are ok provided yours hasnt been cancelled. as for the rest of the day...just a hunch
Attached Images  
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would expect the worst and plan accordingly. I guess the risks are

* short notice cancellation - not really much you can do to mitigate short of having contingency plans
* terminal or airport congestion and delays / I’d be looking to arrive 2.5 hours early at least
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So at T5 if you don’t have TFW access I would head to north fast track - it is always quieter. With no bags to check and assuming you can get your bp beforehand I think you would be fine with turning up 90 mins before. Maybe do 2 hours if you are of a conservative disposition.
NickB likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I would expect the worst and plan accordingly. I guess the risks are

* short notice cancellation - not really much you can do to mitigate short of having contingency plans
* terminal or airport congestion and delays / I’d be looking to arrive 2.5 hours early at least
Yes, that was what I was concerned about: throngs of human beings queuing for hours. Cancellations, as you say, I can't do much about anyway so it would be pointless fretting about it.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Whilst I expect a big mess, I personally don’t think that’s the sort of mess arriving early would help you avoid, so I’d just arrive 90 minutes or so early myself as I like being early.
NickB and KARFA like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So far today has been better than yesterday. There are some ATC issues, but not on the scale of yesterday with Karlsruhe seemingly having a better day too. However there are some thunder storms in Southern Germany, which isn't exactly unusual at this time of year. Amadeus went down for a few hours this morning but is now OK. Two extra domestic cancellations so far, rather than about 18 yesterday. Departure screens - some delays but mostly below 30 minutes. Arrivals more or less ok, I hope it stays that way at least for today since the hotel situation is really bad tonight due all the events on in London at the moment. Hotels that were available yesterday are sold out today.

Originally Posted by EuroControl NOP
LLBG (Ben-Gurion)
Moderate delays for arrivals due to Capacity.

LKPR (Prague)
High delays in the TMA (<F165) affecting departures and arrivals due to Topsky implementation

LPPT (Lisbon)
Moderate delays for arrivals due to Aerodrome Capacity

Airspace
LOVV (Vienna)
High delays in W45 (>F365) due to CBs

EDMM (Munich)
Moderate to High delays in sectors 8 and 9 (<F315) due to CBs

LFEE (Reims)
Moderate ti High delays in several sectors due to 4 Flight implementation and ATC Staffing.
Staffing will decrease during the afternoon, so expect more regulations and delays.

EDUU (Karlsruhe)
Moderate to high delays in several sectors due to ATC Capacity

EPWW (Warsaw)
High delaysin combined J+K + L sectors due to Ukrainian crisis.

LDZO (Zagreb)
Moderate delays in several sector due to ATC Capacity.

LFFF (Paris)
High delays in SK Seine sector due to ATC Staffing.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: BA - Bronze , IHG - Spire Ambassador, Hilton - Diamond
I have a flight tomorrow morning at 7:10 which is connecting me to a cruise so am in trouble if it's cancelled. I've already had one flight cancelled in between dropping off luggage and getting to the lounge this week, and today's slot for the same flight I'm on tomorrow was cancelled, so currently panic checking the BA app every 20 mins to make sure it's not cancelled.

I was planning on getting there 3 hours before but it seems like baggage drop only opens at 5 so will have to settle for being first in queue. My wife is taking the train down from Edi today (we cancelled the flight after the wedsnesday issues) so dropping off baggage tonight isn't an option as she gets in too late.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As a very broad rule, which unfortunately you cannot rely on, there are a series of meetings mid afternoon, and if BA deems it necessary to cull some more flights then it will do so around 16:00 hrs give or take an hour or two. So that will take account of things like sickness and HAL's resource capacity. So I'd put the app away if I were you, it probably isn't good for your mmHg. BA have already downsized operations by around 20% compared to the fantasy opening gambit.
csutter likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:47 am
Company Representative, BA Refunds

Programs: BA Executive Club
Anyone due to fly this weekend on shorthaul only to/from LHR , who doesn't want to travel, can move their flights for free up to 180days on the same route. No refunds unless flight cancellation. Should be processable on ba.com.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
A T3 perspective where I’m currently waiting for a flight and it’s… okay.

Both F checkin (10 minutes) and fast track security (20 minutes) were significantly busier than usual but not to the point of being a nightmare. CX F lounge is very busy with people having to wait for a table in the restaurant area, but again, not the end of the world.

My flight is currently delayed by about two hours, but given some of the horror stories recently that also seems tolerable (I picked an afternoon flight instead of an evening one just so I don’t end up getting there super late).

If you have somewhere to be or high expectations of your trip, or want to cut it close - you might be in for a bad time. Some folks behind me in the security queue had arrived an hour before their flight and we’re somewhat stressed out (I couldn’t help wondering if they’d not read the news lately!)

Me, I’m just happy to be flying. “Roll with the punches” is the official motto of 2022!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.