Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

30 Jun 22: 30 flights cancelled because LHR can't cope

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 Jun 22: 30 flights cancelled because LHR can't cope

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by JonnyA
I have an 18 night holiday to Orlando booked with BA in early August. I was previously mildly irked by the fact that they switched the flight from the new A350 with CS to old product, whilst Virgin did literally the opposite, but now my concerns are more about getting there, with our stuff, at all.

My wife is not a good handler of stress, and my kids are, well kids. It won’t be easy to explain to an 8 and 6 year old if things don’t go well.

The balance of around £13k is due on 12th July. Cancelling the holiday isn’t really an option as I’ll lose my deposit and trying to book elsewhere will cost considerably more than what we paid back in September last year.

Given the current state of affairs, what (if any) options do I have?
Well, you've already excluded the option of cancelling - and was was your only other meaningful option in this case.

Only thing I can think of - is to try to manage with hand luggage only. While it might be a squash to fit everything in, it will reduce the stress (and waiting at the baggage carousel)
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
​​​​​​Basically there is no point trying to ring about baggage queries, just make sure that your current location is kept up to date with BA online where you put in your missing bag claim. It will turn up when it turns up, and there is little you can do to influence it.
Thanks, this is what we surmised. After this stop we’ve just put our home address as the baggage location since we’ve purchased or are purchasing most of what we need. Any experience with clothing/suitcase reimbursements from BA? How long does it usually take?

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by zen100
Well, you've already excluded the option of cancelling - and was was your only other meaningful option in this case.

Only thing I can think of - is to try to manage with hand luggage only. While it might be a squash to fit everything in, it will reduce the stress (and waiting at the baggage carousel)
We’re there for nearly three weeks; I’m not sure hand luggage will do the job.

In terms of cancellation, I’m less bothered about the financial side of things (though at the same time, not un-bothered either), but much of the holiday is tied to the original booking (restaurants and experiences etc, which sounds trivial, but is a big part of the trip for the kids).

What happens in the event that you have a holiday booked with BA and the flight is cancelled?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JonnyA
What happens in the event that you have a holiday booked with BA and the flight is cancelled?
BAH put you on another flight(s) would be a typical outcome.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BAH put you on another flight(s) would be a typical outcome.
Yes, I'm hoping for this myself. They've cancelled BA827 tomorrow DUB-LHR at 10:45 and I'm connecting to flights to Sydney via Tokyo.

Only found out at 21:45 this evening when I checked the app. Anxious waiting for my call back, I must say!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:52 pm

I have read re claiming for delays etc under EU261.
Does this regulation still apply to BA flights to/from EU destinations now that the UK is no longer part of the EU?

Last edited by ozflier; Jun 30, 2022 at 4:53 pm Reason: poor grammar
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ozflier
I have read re claiming for delays etc under EU261.
Does this regulation still apply to BA flights to/from EU destinations now that the UK is no longer part of the EU?
Yes, this regulation was retained in UK law.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:10 pm

thank you
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:55 pm

Looks like more flights are cancelled for 2nd July.
My BA flight to Lisbon on 2nd July got cancelled just before 8pm on 1st July.

BA has downgraded me and rebooked me to a flight 2 days later on the 4th and arriving at Lisbon after 11pm...
With my return flight being on the 6th, this makes no point of travelling. The problem is my ticket is a bit complicated, so I would appreciate a bit of help on my options.

My ticket is a return Avios booking using upgrade voucher from old Lloyd Avios credit card that is now discontinued.
The upgrade voucher is now expired, as the ticket is booked in October 2021, I understand that under normal circumstance any change of flights will need to be within one year of the original ticket was booked.

I will obviously claim for the EC261, providing it is not due to an exceptional circumstances, if I understand correctly, the cancellation compensation should be granted regardless what I do with my flight tickets at the end.

However, my question is what are the options for my flight ticket?

I am guessing that I would need to sort this out before the flight that BA rebooked me on otherwise it will be a no show. Or can I take my time to weight up my options, with the strikes coming am not sure I want to rush of booking anything as yet ?

Assuming if I managed to rebook to an another time, or even take the refund and lost the voucher, I should still qualify for the EC261 compensation?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Its not just now that flights are being affected, my IAH flights in August have been cancelled. Usual pathetic crap on MMB so had to call the gold line 55 min wait 😭. Now re routed twice. All the previous flannel from customer relations about no more cancellations. Its getting beyond a joke now. This is already a re working of previous cancellations. Now means an overnight stay in the Sofitel. Beggars belief BA still expects customers to stay loyal to them! IMHO Sean Doyle needs the sack and replaced by somebody who can actually get a grip of this fiasco. Months of false promises from him and very little action seems to be forthcoming
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
Assuming if I managed to rebook to an another time, or even take the refund and lost the voucher, I should still qualify for the EC261 compensation?
I have the same question. The EC261 cancellation rules seem complex. They have rebooked me on a flight in a lower cabin that leaves 6 hours earlier and arrives 6 hours earlier than the flight I had booked. I would prefer to change to a flight on the next day (which is currently available). If the reason for cancellation is not counted as an extraordinary circumstance, will I be eligible for EC261 compensation even if I rebook for the next day?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
My ticket is a return Avios booking using upgrade voucher from old Lloyd Avios credit card that is now discontinued.
The upgrade voucher is now expired, as the ticket is booked in October 2021, I understand that under normal circumstance any change of flights will need to be within one year of the original ticket was booked.

I will obviously claim for the EC261, providing it is not due to an exceptional circumstances, if I understand correctly, the cancellation compensation should be granted regardless what I do with my flight tickets at the end.

However, my question is what are the options for my flight ticket?
So long as you can keep the route the same, you should be able to rebook that ticket certainly until October 2022. In fact you can do that anyway this weekend even if your flight was not cancelled. Refunds would indeed be problematic so I would rebook to dates that work for you. BA could also rebook on alternative services e.g. Iberia, Lufthansa Group and ITA.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I have the same question. The EC261 cancellation rules seem complex. They have rebooked me on a flight in a lower cabin that leaves 6 hours earlier and arrives 6 hours earlier than the flight I had booked. I would prefer to change to a flight on the next day (which is currently available). If the reason for cancellation is not counted as an extraordinary circumstance, will I be eligible for EC261 compensation even if I rebook for the next day?
If it's a cancellation and the rebooking was not within a minus 1 hour, plus 2 hour window then EC261 is payable. So moving to the next day is fine.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
I had a flight to NYC for 01 Sep cancelled yesterday. This was a rebooking of itself, following another flight cancelled same day 2 months ago - it feels that they are cancelling more and more flights months out.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's not black / white, you would have to delve into the details. To give an extreme example, let's say BA cancelled the only service today to KLX when they could have combined 2 domestic services leaving close together. BA decided it was less work for BA to cancel KLX. Then KLX customers would have a claim in my view. But if BA managed the domestic shuffle so that perhaps a lot of people were all delayed 2 hours, so ineligible for EC261, is that a better outcome? By EC261 it is a better outcome. If BA ignored HAL then it isn't as though the problem goes away.
As you are aware, I was caught out at Heathrow on Friday (1st July), BA cancelled all three afternoon/evening flights to Manchester and seemed to be targeting domestic flights. My particular flight has been cancelled five times, interesting to see BA’s response to my claim, I suspect they will still fight it…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.