Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

30 Jun 22: 30 flights cancelled because LHR can't cope

30 Jun 22: 30 flights cancelled because LHR can't cope

Old Jun 30, 22, 8:06 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Posts: 643
Originally Posted by jmd View Post
I donít disagree with anything you say, and Iím not defending any of the many issues with BA at the moment. I was just surprised by others upthread suggesting Easyjet as a preferable alternative in the current times. When they cancel a flight short notice at the airport, the most you can generally hope for is the app telling you that the next available Easyjet flight is in three daysí time. At that point your only hope is to pay for a new flight and hotel yourself and put in a claim to Easyjet which will never get paid. I have had lots of IRROPS in the last few months with BA, and actually what stands out for me is the many friendly and helpful BA staff (who have been treated shockingly by their employer) who have spent hours on the phone with me trying everything to get me to where I want to go.
To be fair to easyJet, they cancelled our 2x£30 flight to Budapest at 5 days notice (not sure why they chose a route scheduled once a day rather than one of the 10 AMS flights or suchlike but hey ho). Called up and there were no other easyJet flights within 24 hours - which I knew anyway - so they told me to rebook and put in a claim. Bought 2x£450 flights on BA from LHR, enjoyed fast track security, the CX lounge and exit row seating and put in the claim to easyJet when we got home. Full amount paid within 2 weeks, no quibble. So in the end a far superior experience 😁

​​​​​
kingstontoon is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 8:18 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: LON, between FAB and EGTD
Programs: AA Exec Plat, BA nobody (blue)
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Is there a particular reason HAL isnít trying to resource the pass unit better? All airlines and other airside companies must be desperate to get that sorted and must be hammering HAL to sort it as a matter of urgency.
They can't afford it, because their owners won't give them any pocket money.
tjcxx is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 9:44 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by tjcxx View Post
They can't afford it, because their owners won't give them any pocket money.
We could be at a crossroads where limited companies are faced with either satisfying shareholders or satisfying customers. Pre-Covid, IAG and HAL believed their customer was the shareholder and delivering higher and higher dividend pay outs was the goal the leadership team were handsomely rewarded for. More depressing measures such as customer satisfaction were glossed over as important, but not as important as the next dividend. The passenger, who wrongly believed they were the customer, was just a convenient means to an end. This pursuit led to the company making decisions based on short term profit rather than long term stability.

Pre-Covid, these companies took everything for granted, rewarding themselves for riskier and riskier decisions. Today, their ability to function is in doubt and this can only be rectified with either closing the doors or investing large sums in rebuilding. A great rebalancing is coming and the sooner some of these big companies realise it the more chance they have of surviving.

BA need to build a new IT system starting with a blank sheet of paper and paying for the best value not the cheapest bidder. They also need to the same with their operation. Undoing the cost cutting from the Walsh / Cruz era would be a good start.
HarryHolden68 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 10:51 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,949
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68 View Post

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ.

BA need to build a new IT system starting with a blank sheet of paper and paying for the best value not the cheapest bidder. They also need to the same with their operation. Undoing the cost cutting from the Walsh / Cruz era would be a good start.
Youíre 100% correct of course, on all counts.

Have we observed any meaningful evidence of cost-cut reversals in recent months ? Admittedly, the CEO (from whom we seem to have heard little during the current issues) is in fire-fighting mode and itís understandably all about the here & now. However, what exactly is the longer-term vision ; and has it been communicated to customers in a convincing manner ?

One fairly simple example of how the corporate culture could be swiftly improved is in a more mature handling of EU / UK 261 claims, especially at a time when carefully-laid plans of many pax are already being disrupted by frequent delays / cancellations. And yet, refusal letters are still being sent out almost routinely, on the grounds of nonsensical explanations such as crew illness. There is, clearly, a LOT of work needed at management level.
becks1 likes this.
subject2load is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 11:22 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68 View Post
BA need to build a new IT system starting with a blank sheet of paper and paying for the best value not the cheapest bidder. They also need to the same with their operation. Undoing the cost cutting from the Walsh / Cruz era would be a good start.
I'll have some of what you're smoking or is it just drinking? Never in a month of Sundays!
SamYeager is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 12:08 pm
  #51  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LON, ACK, BOS..... (Not necessarily in that order)
Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Posts: 14,000
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68 View Post
BA need to build a new IT system starting with a blank sheet of paper and paying for the best value not the cheapest bidder. They also need to the same with their operation. Undoing the cost cutting from the Walsh / Cruz era would be a good start.
Have you ever used an enterprise ERP system, supported one, or worse tried rolling one out? Building your own whilst possible isnít a thing you do in a couple of weeks more like at least a couple of years when you factor in everything from requirements gathering through to end user testing, launch and bug fixes. As I understand it BA have modified and customised existing well known and proven ERP systems like SAP for their use. Customising it to the degree they have is the potential Achilles heel here.
becks1, stefan_nl and MatJarosz like this.
Jimmie76 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 12:45 pm
  #52  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LON
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,816
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
Have you ever used an enterprise ERP system, supported one, or worse tried rolling one out? Building your own whilst possible isnít a thing you do in a couple of weeks more like at least a couple of years when you factor in everything from requirements gathering through to end user testing, launch and bug fixes. As I understand it BA have modified and customised existing well known and proven ERP systems like SAP for their use. Customising it to the degree they have is the potential Achilles heel here.
Ah yes. Configure, don't customise.

There's been some lively weather passing across west London this afternoon which may have been a factor in LHRs request to pull some flights today, it appears that the weather has contributed to an onmishambles of a service this evening.
becks1 likes this.
plunet is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 1:10 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kent, UK
Programs: M&S Elite+
Posts: 3,010
Here is the LHR passenger data since it was mentioned earlier.


salut0, Midships, becks1 and 1 others like this.
DaveS is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 1:49 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 80
Missing bags?

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy View Post
No bags were delivered at T5 for approximately the last ~25 arriving flights of the day this evening. Understandably, the baggage hall was a sea of human distress at midnight. My own bag has disappeared into the bowels of the airport, probably not to be seen again for weeks, and certainly not before my next flight to Singapore tomorrow. I was told that there are now tens of thousands of missing bags stored across the terminal simply because they can't be transported from planes to baggage belts.

Oh, and a 45 minute flight was 3 hours late, but that's pretty standard now. 90 mins late departing due to knock-on effects from unloading problems at LHR on previous sectors. 60 mins on arrival stuck behind another plane that couldn't park because there was no-one to operate the guidance system. 30 mins parked waiting for someone to operate the jet bridge. The basic failings are eye-opening.
Have you had any update or movement on your bag? My husband was on one of the flights that warned him he would get no bag before he even got off the flight. Weíve started buying clothes and toiletries and saving receipts but wondering if thereís any timeline to receiving the bags? And of course talking to anyone on the phone is completely impossible so itís just a waiting game.
califlyer8 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 2:17 pm
  #55  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LON
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,816
Originally Posted by califlyer8 View Post
Have you had any update or movement on your bag? My husband was on one of the flights that warned him he would get no bag before he even got off the flight. Weíve started buying clothes and toiletries and saving receipts but wondering if thereís any timeline to receiving the bags? And of course talking to anyone on the phone is completely impossible so itís just a waiting game.
​​​​​​Basically there is no point trying to ring about baggage queries, just make sure that your current location is kept up to date with BA online where you put in your missing bag claim. It will turn up when it turns up, and there is little you can do to influence it.
DaveS likes this.
plunet is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 3:24 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 42
I have an 18 night holiday to Orlando booked with BA in early August. I was previously mildly irked by the fact that they switched the flight from the new A350 with CS to old product, whilst Virgin did literally the opposite, but now my concerns are more about getting there, with our stuff, at all.

My wife is not a good handler of stress, and my kids are, well kids. It wonít be easy to explain to an 8 and 6 year old if things donít go well.

The balance of around £13k is due on 12th July. Cancelling the holiday isnít really an option as Iíll lose my deposit and trying to book elsewhere will cost considerably more than what we paid back in September last year.

Given the current state of affairs, what (if any) options do I have?
JonnyA is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 3:28 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by SamYeager View Post
I'll have some of what you're smoking or is it just drinking? Never in a month of Sundays!
Then the old adage of keep doing what youíre doing and youíll keep getting what youíre getting applies.
HarryHolden68 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 3:32 pm
  #58  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,932
Originally Posted by JonnyA View Post
My wife is not a good handler of stress, and my kids are, well kids. It wonít be easy to explain to an 8 and 6 year old if things donít go well.
Consider using Airportr if you live in the London area. And also you could work out whether some creativity on what goes into cabin baggage would keep people happy for a few days even if you end up being the pack mule on the outbound. For all the reports, the great majority of bags do make it, and the greatest risk is having to wait a bit longer for baggage return than normal, whatever that means now. If the worst happens, the bags will be returned within a few days, so if it's just stuff that can be easily replaced in an outlet mall, I doubt the sky will fall in over it.
becks1 and Radiation Station like this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 3:37 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
Have you ever used an enterprise ERP system, supported one, or worse tried rolling one out? Building your own whilst possible isnít a thing you do in a couple of weeks more like at least a couple of years when you factor in everything from requirements gathering through to end user testing, launch and bug fixes. As I understand it BA have modified and customised existing well known and proven ERP systems like SAP for their use. Customising it to the degree they have is the potential Achilles heel here.
Nope, nope and nope. It all sounds like gobbledegook to me.

But I do know that if you want to do something, youíll find a way. If you donít want to do something, for whatever reason, youíll find an excuse.

But the US will one day / month / year / decade pass tighter gun control laws - the only variable being how many have to die in mass shootings until the public outcry makes it happen.

Similarly, one day / month/ year / decade, BA will redevelop the IT to be fit for purpose - the only variable being how much money is wasted before the investors make it happen.
becks1 likes this.
HarryHolden68 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 3:53 pm
  #60  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LON, ACK, BOS..... (Not necessarily in that order)
Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Posts: 14,000
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68 View Post
Nope, nope and nope. It all sounds like gobbledegook to me.

But I do know that if you want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t want to do something, for whatever reason, you’ll find an excuse.

But the US will one day / month / year / decade pass tighter gun control laws - the only variable being how many have to die in mass shootings until the public outcry makes it happen.

Similarly, one day / month/ year / decade, BA will redevelop the IT to be fit for purpose - the only variable being how much money is wasted before the investors make it happen.
If you think it’s “gobbledegook” then you’ve no idea how complicated these things are. ERP is Enterprise Resource Planning, SAP is one vendor of this type of software.

Personally I’d be more worried about BA if they decided to do their own ERP system because that really would be madness.
becks1 and MatJarosz like this.
Jimmie76 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread