Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T3 Arrival to T5 Departure. Through check bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T3 Arrival to T5 Departure. Through check bags?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There's a big sign saying UK Border, so yes it is obvious, and as I say I've advised you of this previously too so it really should not be a huge surprise. There are also many other posts about this in FT, so you're not the first to ask by any means, it probably sounds counter-intuitive. It's more problematic for someone who doesn't have First Wing or e-gate access for example. But I'm not in the habit of giving duff advice, as I hope you will also appreciate.
CWS would it be better to cross the border at T3, get the underground to T5, and then go through the first wing? Or is it preferable to get the airside bus between T3 and T5, then cross the border at T5 before going through security at the first wing? I’ve only just become BA Gold for the first time, so I don’t have any experience of this. Thank you.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
CWS would it be better to cross the border at T3, get the underground to T5, and then go through the first wing? Or is it preferable to get the airside bus between T3 and T5, then cross the border at T5 before going through security at the first wing? I’ve only just become BA Gold for the first time, so I don’t have any experience of this. Thank you.
Usually it would not be sensible to do this, certainly the Underground route since the station is nearer T2. The service frequency of the buses airside is more frequent than HEX / Elizabeth / Piccadilly. Plus T3 is currently more congested than T5. The only area where is may be 50 / 50 would be Common Travel Area in T2 via the Tube to T5, since that's a fairly slick pathway. Even then I suspect that mostly the airside bus would be faster. Gold wouldn't make much difference actually, if you were determined to go landside then you may as well take the bus to T5.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
bags are not any more likely to miss the connection on a t3 to t5 connection than they are on a connection within t5. The bags will make it to t5 before you do
50% of the time that I have to go T5 to T3 my bags do not make the connection. Most recently a few weeks ago when I had almost 5 hours between flights. They rarely go missing on a T5 to T5 connection.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:01 pm

Given the delays in baggage delivery at the moment, you have a far greater chance of missing the connection if you wait for it than if you allow it to be through-checked.

Bags move between T3 and T5 in an automated system in the tunnel at far greater speed than any other transport method. Definitely the best option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.