Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA is moving most flights from LHR Terminal 3 to T5

Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Being reported on Twitter that a number of T3 flights will move to T5 due to impending strike

Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver

According to this article https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...in-terminal-5/

BA is moving most of the flights from T3 to T5. Not sure why. Any suggestions? Cost probably?
SxMan likes this.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jun 28, 2022 at 4:28 am Reason: Thread title edited for clarity. "Pulling flights from T3" could suggest cancellation.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
a bit peculiar given the strange convo on the AA forum about AA moving back to T3 in short order but capacity has to shift somewhere!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2022-a-17.html
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not sure where you get a link to potential strikes - the suggestion I saw was to try and make best use of resources due to staff shortages - i.e. you don't have to have ground staff spread over two terminals.

I can't remember BA ever doing a terminal changes for multiple routes as a prelude or during strike action before.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by VSLover
a bit peculiar given the strange convo on the AA forum about AA moving back to T3 in short order
I would have thought that both moves in parallel would make perfect sense. Splitting your ops across two terminals is bound to have inefficiencies (towing aircraft from one to another being an obvious example). So it's not hard to see how there is sense in the the two airlines each consolidating into one terminal.
steve170461 and VSLover like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:43 am

From the article:

Is British Airways desperately trying to stop its passengers running up huge bills by visiting the superior Cathay Pacific and Qantas lounges in Terminal 3?!
While it's true that the definition of 'huge' is unscientific and depends on the person, I personally doubt that it is the case.

My bet, personally, is to do with punctuality. T3 has always been bad at punctuality - a mixture of infrastructural constraints, type of routes, transfer flows, some localised self-harm by BA themselves - and what I'm hearing now is that it's being even worse these days. If you have the possibility why not concentrating your flying in T5? BA right now is still moving quite a lot less passengers than it did in 2019 (the last I heard, from early June, was that the overall number of departing passengers ex London - excluding LCY - was still lower than the T5 figures on a peak day pre-Covid) and there can be enough capacity to handle everyone in T5.
Krisz, KARFA, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:44 am

Not hugely helpful for those with parking booked in the T3 short stay. Was looking forward to my T3 lounge crawl too!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I would have thought that both moves in parallel would make perfect sense. Splitting your ops across two terminals is bound to have inefficiencies (towing aircraft from one to another being an obvious example). So it's not hard to see how there is sense in the the two airlines each consolidating into one terminal.
i guess i mean more strange as in this isnt "in two months..." but rather RIGHTNOW which is in opposition to the months of notice they normally provide in addition to the possible total mess this will make for connection times on existing itineraries in AA is actually being moved out of T5 and of course the confused passenger.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
So what routes remain at T3? Not many as far as I can see. VIE and OPO maybe? Not sure what long haul routes will remain.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:47 am

i guess i mean more strange as in this isnt "in two months..." but rather RIGHTNOW which is in opposition to the months of notice they normally provide in addition to the possible total mess this will make for connection times on existing itineraries in AA is actually being moved out of T5 and of course the confused passenger.
yes, it seems rather badly handled if this is happening. people have not unreasonably made arrangements based on the terminal they thought they would arrive/depart from, and of course there may be many people who now find their connections in breach of MCTs and need to try and rebook.
lowfareair, YacozA, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Although we don't live in normal times. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to describe BA's ops at present as being in a state of continuous emergency, with lots of emergency measures being taken on a daily basis. So I wouldn't be surprised if this is just another one of them.
salut0, VSLover, scolbath and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Although we don't live in normal times. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to describe BA's ops at present as being in a state of continuous emergency, with lots of emergency measures being taken on a daily basis. So I wouldn't be surprised if this is just another one of them.
call center times mustve fallen below an hour recently. or bags delivered within 45mins.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
So what routes remain at T3? Not many as far as I can see. VIE and OPO maybe? Not sure what long haul routes will remain.
The sat/sun flights to Pula (PUY) seem to still be at T3. Not a very mainstream route, I know, but relevant for my summer hols!
becks1, r0gerthat and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:54 am

Remaining at T3 after 12 July for the rest of S22 would be:

Barbados (BGI)
Nairobi (NBO)

Bastia (BIA)
Billund (BLL)
Bucharest (OTP)
Gibraltar (GIB)
Gothenburg (GOT)
Lyon (LYS)
Naples (NAP)
Oslo (OSL)
Porto (OPO)
Pristina (PRN)
Pula (PUY)
Tirana (TIA)
Vienna (VIE)
fatmac70, shefgab, aztimm and 11 others like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 28, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Mixed feelings here. I enjoy the lounge options. On the downside Fast Track security can be a bit hit and miss. Also, my arrival into T3 yesterday evening was a shambles- waiting for a gate to be free for around 30 minutes- I can't help but think that it's time to send all the T4 airlines back, as T3 seems to be buckling. To be fair immigration was quick though.
becks1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.