Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA is moving most flights from LHR Terminal 3 to T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA is moving most flights from LHR Terminal 3 to T5

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nordic
I just recently flew an AY for BA flight and must say that that meal was the same that can be found on the short haul catering thread. The crew was more relaxed than most Ba or AY crews, maybe because they work together for four days. There were no menus distributed and coffee and tea were served in disposable BA cups. And judging from a previous post some of AY for BA flights actually move to T5. A very good flight I think and most of the passengers seemed to have been equally pleased and not bothered that the English accent was Finnish. But I’m biased being a Finn.
Yes, same meal, same drinks and the paper cup is a current BA thing too. I also enjoyed the Finnair service.

There will certainly be some Finnair for BA flights operating from T5 - I have a number of emails for my flights to Split which will move across.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 13901
T5 has an overall capacity of 35m passengers, right now, and it was approaching capacity back in 2019 - now, I doubt it's the case. It's worth pointing out that the pinch points - i.e. what constraints passenger numbers - aren't actually that visible to the customer. They are, from memory and in no particular order

1. Transfer Baggage capacity at input points (in other words, at peak times you have a queue of baggage trains trying to offload their loads)
2. Stands. Even by putting off-pier/on remote stands any aircraft that sits for more than 6 hours on the ground, LHR is >90% busy (well, was before Covid)
3. Security checkpoints

Over the years there have been improvements to baggage (larger bag store) and security, with the dual lanes going up from "ready to fly", but a big issue is stands. You just can't build more of them and a T5D might help, but only slightly (you might be able to squeeze about 5 more stands, I guess, by rearranging the layout there). And it'd be a massive b*tch to build, for it'd require:
1. Moving the fuel farm
2. Moving the fire department station, which is there for a reason
3. Giving up some important off-pier stands during the building phase.
There are also politics as well. UK politicians have been debating endlessly about LHR expansion for years. BoJo even said something about building from scratch a new airport in the Thames to avoid the while noise and political issues but went nowhere. Then there are the tree huggers to deal with. I guess due to the pandemic, any talk of LHR expansion is now on the backburner.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
There are also politics as well. UK politicians have been debating endlessly about LHR expansion for years. BoJo even said something about building from scratch a new airport in the Thames to avoid the while noise and political issues but went nowhere. Then there are the tree huggers to deal with. I guess due to the pandemic, any talk of LHR expansion is now on the backburner.
Boris suggested that he would lie down in front of the bulldozers (about the third runway). That in itself is reason to start the engines.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:53 pm

Sorry if covered up thread, according to Head for Points, Iberia will be moving most flights out of T5 and back to T3, has anyone else seen that confirmed? The article below doesn't give that much information, but seems tk suggest it will happen on 12th July.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...in-terminal-5/
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by jonkx
Sorry if covered up thread, according to Head for Points, Iberia will be moving most flights out of T5 and back to T3, has anyone else seen that confirmed? The article below doesn't give that much information, but seems tk suggest it will happen on 12th July.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...in-terminal-5/
My LHR-MAD op Iberia for 23/08 was "cancelled" and "rebooked" by BA today from T5 to T3, so I'm guessing it is confirmed.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes IB is definitely moving to T3.
jonkx likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes IB is definitely moving to T3.
Any idea what happens to "Iberia for British Airways" flights - do they stay put in T5 or move too?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Any idea what happens to "Iberia for British Airways" flights - do they stay put in T5 or move too?
BA codeshares on Iberia go to T3, notably Iberia's services from LHR to MAD. BA services operated by Iberia / Iberia Express, which have a BA prime flight number, stay at T5.
KARFA and lost_in_translation like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
You mean when they had BA prime flight numbers? I don't think there are any of those anymore? I think all the BA4xx flights are BA operated, and the others are IB operated with IB flight numbers and BA codeshares in the BA70xx range.

See above
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: Some
Yes, I mean the ones with a BA prime flight number. They very much do still exist, I'm booked on one to BCN on the 12th July, hence my question!
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Well, the expansion of LHR outside its current confines (destruction of Harmondsworth and so on) will probably happen 15 years after we have all moved our consciences to the singularity, thus achieving immortality in the Internet. Or the sun swallows Earth, whatever happens first.

This, instead, would be a development within LHR campus, so subject only to HAL's ability to deliver a project on time. Itself not the greatest thing but...
lsquare and HarryHolden68 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA codeshares on Iberia go to T3, notably Iberia's services from LHR to MAD. BA services operated by Iberia / Iberia Express, which have a BA prime flight number, stay at T5.
Or move to as the case may be!? I think that the "BA Prime" were mostly on flights that were T3 based? Certainly all those I have had this month were. So I guess that now they will move to T5 with the rest of the BA bunch!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (GGL, GFL)
What do people think will be impact (if any) of these terminal switches on how busy the CCR will be? Will the AA etc flights moving to T3 result in a greater reduction of people using the CCR than the addition caused by the BA T3 flights moving back to T5? Or much of a muchness?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by aoyamaguy
What do people think will be impact (if any) of these terminal switches on how busy the CCR will be? Will the AA etc flights moving to T3 result in a greater reduction of people using the CCR than the addition caused by the BA T3 flights moving back to T5? Or much of a muchness?
It will depend on the passenger mix travelling on the day. AA F pax will disappear but there’ll be more GGLs from the shorthaul flights moving back. Whether the number goes up or down will depend which is the larger group each day.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:48 am

Interesting that BA codeshare flights operated by AA metal (eg DFW or JFK) are still shown as T5 throughout the rest of the summer schedule.

The exact same flights booked on AA prime correctly show the move to T3.

This will potentially cause misconnects and rebooking on previously T5-T5 itineraries with a connection time less than 1:30.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.