Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA is moving most flights from LHR Terminal 3 to T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA is moving most flights from LHR Terminal 3 to T5

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Without more drastic schedule cuts, T5 lacks capacity for the current schedule. Unless they crack on with the D satellite and get it operating this year?
With US pre-clearance.
And a suite of lounges including a mini CCR?
While we are at it, can F passengers get a car to the aircraft steps too?

I can dream can't I? But the D satellite looks more and more appealing. Much better than giving away all of of your cash as dividends. To me anyway.
I don’t know bout capacity
my FCO flights three times out from the dreaded A10 this week
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
LOL NO
unless you have CE on sep tickets and can SDC
It's a good question and maybe worth clarifying.

Same day change / FCOD works for both CE and Economy 'Plus' fares but only for simple itineraries. So as you say it won't work if Fatdickie has booked GLA-LHR-PRG as a single reservation but would be available if the two segments were booked separately.
Fatdickie and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Without more drastic schedule cuts, T5 lacks capacity for the current schedule. Unless they crack on with the D satellite and get it operating this year?
With US pre-clearance.
And a suite of lounges including a mini CCR?
While we are at it, can F passengers get a car to the aircraft steps too?

I can dream can't I? But the D satellite looks more and more appealing. Much better than giving away all of of your cash as dividends. To me anyway.
T5 has an overall capacity of 35m passengers, right now, and it was approaching capacity back in 2019 - now, I doubt it's the case. It's worth pointing out that the pinch points - i.e. what constraints passenger numbers - aren't actually that visible to the customer. They are, from memory and in no particular order

1. Transfer Baggage capacity at input points (in other words, at peak times you have a queue of baggage trains trying to offload their loads)
2. Stands. Even by putting off-pier/on remote stands any aircraft that sits for more than 6 hours on the ground, LHR is >90% busy (well, was before Covid)
3. Security checkpoints

Over the years there have been improvements to baggage (larger bag store) and security, with the dual lanes going up from "ready to fly", but a big issue is stands. You just can't build more of them and a T5D might help, but only slightly (you might be able to squeeze about 5 more stands, I guess, by rearranging the layout there). And it'd be a massive b*tch to build, for it'd require:
1. Moving the fuel farm
2. Moving the fire department station, which is there for a reason
3. Giving up some important off-pier stands during the building phase.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Krisz
It’s 12 July when AA moves all T5 to T3.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...hr-airport.jsp
Excellent. I was disappointed when my MIA moved to T5. Happy it’s now back in T3!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:15 am
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Received my first official notification of terminal change by email from BA for BA marketed flight on Iberia metal.

Email head "Your flight BA... to Heathrow on 12th July has been cancelled"

Body of email shows rebooking to the same flight number same time but now arriving T3 instead of T5.

The email goes on to say:

"Please let us know whether you'd like to travel on this flight by selecting 'accept' in Manage My Booking. You can review other available flights and also claim a refund here too."

Although if a look in MMB the option to "accept" or cancel and claim a refund doesn't currently seem to be available. I'm assuming the email is incorrect and this change would not attract entitlement to a refund.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by cwl; Jun 29, 2022 at 2:17 pm
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
I would however not to expect parking to be that flexible that you can park your car at T3 and retrieve it at T5?
Last time I departed T3 and returned T5, I realised that the Heathrow T3 & T5 Long Term Carparks were located next to each other. There is a fence between the two but there is a gap where you can walk between them. So enter the carpark of choice and park at the end of the car park closest to the fence.
Robert279 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
If all of AA moves back to T3, that will make my OTP-JFK connection that much smoother.

I personally don't feel that building new terminals would help. Unless there's some sort of restriction in place so that extra flights can't be added, it will just be the same as building a new relief road that is as full as the other road 5 mins later.

Still believe a lot of the shorter haul flights should be moved from T5A, freeing that up for international flights.
So much wasted space in all the T5 terminals and sub levels.
camdentown likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by cwl
Received my first official notification of terminal change by email from BA for BA marketed flight on Iberia metal.

Email head "You flight BA... to Heathrow on 12th June has been cancelled"

Body of email shows rebooking to the same flight number same time but now arriving T3 instead of T5.

The email goes on to say:

"Please let us know whether you'd like to travel on this flight by selecting 'accept' in Manage My Booking. You can review other available flights and also claim a refund here too."

Although if a look in MMB the option to "accept" or cancel and claim a refund doesn't currently seem to be available. I'm assuming the email is incorrect and this change would not attract entitlement to a refund.
I would be very surprised if it allowed for a refund, unless the change means that the itinerary no longer meets MCT. There might be a case sometimes to move to BA metal but I'm not sure!
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
ah ok.

I supposed you could make the current BA J + F lounge in to one space as a J lounge, and maybe the AA J + F lounge in to one space as a F lounge. But you can’t combine any BA and AA lounges, they are simply not next to each other.
I was told very recently by T3 staff that there are plans for an expansion of the Qantas lounge and dedicated F section within it, stealing part of the space from a neighbouring lounge (AA?). Makes sense given how busy the Qantas lounge gets with the A380 departures. No idea of possible timescale, and could likewise be Galley FM of course. Anyway my impression was if the AA lounge is going to be consumed at all, it'll be by Qantas not BA.
becks1 and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
I was told very recently by T3 staff that there are plans for an expansion of the Qantas lounge and dedicated F section within it, stealing part of the space from a neighbouring lounge (AA?). Makes sense given how busy the Qantas lounge gets with the A380 departures. No idea of possible timescale, and could likewise be Galley FM of course. Anyway my impression was if the AA lounge is going to be consumed at all, it'll be by Qantas not BA.
Definitely not possible. The QF lounge is a good 50-100m away from the AA lounge space and there are the BA lounges and the corridor to to gates 13-22 in between.

I am beginning to think some T3 staff are just starting crazy rumours about the lounges to see how fast they make it to FT
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Definitely not possible. The QF lounge is a good 50-100m away from the AA lounge space and there are the BA lounges and the corridor to to gates 13-22 in between.

I am beginning to think some T3 staff are just starting crazy rumours about the lounges to see how fast they make it to FT
That is entirely possible, and the type of thing I might do if I were bored lounge staff in a quiet time with slightly tipsy frequent flyers!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
The QF Llounge could always grab the section of the BA lounge that was until a few weeks ago cordoned off for "building" work?
No idea how much space could be found upstairs.

You might have thought it better if BA just abandoned the T3 lounge (or a large part of it) considering it won't have any real flights there anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by gingerlucy
That is entirely possible, and the type of thing I might do if I were bored lounge staff in a quiet time with slightly tipsy frequent flyers!
A member of staff once told me BA were planning to improve the food offering onboard and in the lounges. That’s when I knew they were ridiculing me
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
Last time I departed T3 and returned T5, I realised that the Heathrow T3 & T5 Long Term Carparks were located next to each other. There is a fence between the two but there is a gap where you can walk between them. So enter the carpark of choice and park at the end of the car park closest to the fence.
Specifically, it's T2/3 business parking and T5 long term parking that are adjacent to each other. T2/T3 long term parking is opposite BA's maintenance facilities nearer to Hatton Cross.
Robert279 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:03 am

Will the Finnair for BA flights change. I suppose one flight cannot arrive at T3 and the next flight using the same aircraft leave from T5.

Last edited by nordic; Jun 29, 2022 at 8:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.