Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘You have to mask up to fly to Italy’

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:45 am
Suspended

I understand the principled view but surely the whole point is moot as you can say you have an exemption you’re not willing to discuss?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:02 am

I think the key point is that based on what I read, half the crew would need to be offloaded for failing to wear the mask correctly as well?
Certainly on the flights I have done this year
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:33 am

When I was in the left hand seat I used to remind people this was not a democracy and I was the dictator, all be it a rather benign one.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues
No, it’s not simpler to just “slip on a mask”, it really is time to firmly and politely challenge all such mistakes even whilst maintaining sympathy for the crew who are constantly fed contradictory information.
Brilliantly put
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
It's not that hard for the purser to look online. Eg https://apply.joinsherpa.com/map?aff...language=en-US says

Travelers must wear FFP2 type masks in social and health facilities and on public means of transport (trains, ships, ferries, buses, and other means of public transport), excluding airplanes. Travelers are recommended to wear masks in all public indoor places or places open to the public.
or https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...virus-covid-19 says

All passengers entering Italy by ferry, train or coach must wear an FFP2 mask in order to enter the country. Masks are no longer required on flights in, to or from Italy.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
For me, life's too short. I hate wearing masks, but I'd have just got it out of my bag and stuck it on. An hour after landing I would have forgotten all about it.

It's still a confusing and complicated time to travel. I've found that the more flexible I can be and just roll with the punches, the less stressful the experience.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
The crew are in a difficult position. The rules for each country are often (certainly historically) very different. The can only work with the information they have at the time, and are asked to enforce.

The penalties for being too lenient can be quite large. They do not have time to discuss with each and every passenger the rights and wrongs of that passengers beliefs, or whether they are right or wrong in those beliefs. Omicrom is surging again, the rules that you may have checked only 24 hours ago may well start to change again soon as politicians decide to get tough/or not again..

The crew are not being intentionally difficult, they have a job to do and want a peaceful and simple day at the office. Furthermore, a passenger being difficult and even mildly objectionable on boarding can easily end up escalating their behaviour onboard, please don’t make yourself a target at the start of the flight. Far simpler just to do what they ask and get on with your day, wearing a mask for a short while is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.
As has been proven over the past few years, you cannot comply your way out of tyranny. Nor should anyone seek to do so regardless of the excuse used to induce compliance.

The correct response to this situation is politely challenging the incorrect instruction with facts, progressing as needed to whatever conclusion is necessary short of violence.

And shouldn't you update your signature to reflect what reality has shown us to be true?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
As has been proven over the past few years, you cannot comply your way out of tyranny. Nor should anyone seek to do so regardless of the excuse used to induce compliance.

The correct response to this situation is politely challenging the incorrect instruction with facts, progressing as needed to whatever conclusion is necessary short of violence.

And shouldn't you update your signature to reflect what reality has shown us to be true?
I think you are mistaking boarding an aircraft for the Oxford Union where you can debates the merits of lockdown law, pandemic response, the freedom of the individual vs the state etc. etc. All fascinating issues, but completely irrelevant to this scenario where you are told you are required to put a face covering on.

You are given a lawful instruction, and you are obliged to follow it.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Misco60
It's frustrating when people in positions of authority get it wrong like this. But why on earth would you have got so "upset" about it that it led to talk of offloading you? Would it not have been easier just to slip a face covering on for a few minutes on while arguing your case?
LOL.. you are asking the OP, who is American, why they were upset about being asked to wear a mask? :-)
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think you are mistaking boarding an aircraft for the Oxford Union where you can debates the merits of lockdown law, pandemic response, the freedom of the individual vs the state etc. etc. All fascinating issues, but completely irrelevant to this scenario where you are told you are required to put a face covering on.

You may be well trained to obey regardless of the situation, but I'm not. If the facts do not support the request I will push back. It was an incorrect instruction from a year ago. The purser was in error, I'm in no way obliged to do what he asked.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
The purser was in error, I'm in no way obliged to do what he asked.
I am afraid that is simply wrong.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:40 am
formerly JackDann

I personally just find it difficult to comprehend that it is legal instruction to ask somebody to cover their face. Obviously I understood this when it was quite literally wrote into law, but now, not so much.

Maybe somebody who has the time and budget to challenge this aspect of the ANO in court can give it a go.
LETTERBOY and RockyRobin like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC
A funny thread where I think most people are making valid points. I would note that (mad though some of you no doubt think we are) some of us genuinely make travel decisions based on whether we are obliged to wear masks. I have no interest in masked long-haul travel. I could live with it on a short-haul route, but if I was greeted with this point on, say, an SFO, I'd be much less sympathetic to the crew.

To my mind the right approach here was to direct the crew member to their own airline's website which correctly sets out the Italian position, and to take details for a post-flight complaint if they insisted on mask-wearing regardless. Fortunately it looks like it didn't reach that point.
the810, wrp96 and RockyRobin like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by JackDann
I personally just find it difficult to comprehend that it is legal instruction to ask somebody to cover their face. Obviously I understood this when it was quite literally wrote into law, but now, not so much.

Maybe somebody who has the time and budget to challenge this aspect of the ANO in court can give it a go.
I think that would be a very silly thing to do tbh and a waste of your time and money.

You seem to be under the impression an instruction can only be lawful if it is something which is codified in to law or specifically laid down in company policy. This is quite simply a completely incorrect understanding of what this term means.
simonsmith, jkirk and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:49 am
formerly JackDann

I think that would be a very silly thing to do tbh and a waste of your time and money.

You seem to be under the impression an instruction can only be lawful if it is something which is codified in to law or specifically laid down in company policy. This is quite simply a completely incorrect understanding of what this term means.
Not really, my understanding is that a crew instruction is defined by however which way it is worded within the ANO. What does this term actually mean? I did try and do a search throughout the 400+ pages but couldn't find this specific section. You may well be more familiar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.