Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight deleted from itinerary during trip - why would this happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Yesterday, checked in at SFO with Alaska (AS) for first sector of SFO-LAX-BOS-LHR-DUB which is the return part of the itinerary originating in DUB a few days prior.

AS agent gave us one boarding pass for SFO-LAX and said they couldn't give us boarding passes for the next flight. They could see BOS-LHR as our next sector but as everything looked fine across the various PNRs we weren't worried and we'd kept a close eye on the upcoming sectors for time/seat changes.

At Admirals Club LAX we were told that our next flight LAX-BOS had been deleted from the itinerary, which was a bit of a surprise. We showed our boarding passes from the Alaska sector as first thought was that we'd not flown it and maybe no-show for SFO-LAX may have caused the problem, but as BOS-LHR still showed in itinerary, unlikely?

First agent (Admirals Club) said it was a computer glitch. Second agent (Flagship Lounge) said it was something BA had done when AA2110 was re-timed from a 1000 departure from LAX to 0956, but as they were somewhat defensive, couldn't explain further and wouldn't show us what they was looking at I thought I'd ask here.

My question is to try and understand what the reasons could be, whether it happens often and is there anything we, as pax, can do to try and avoid this happening. At no stage did I get any notification that the sector had been removed, but as seems usual, the only place all the sectors ever showed was in the AA booking.

Itinerary was booked though AA, 001 ticket number. 4 different PNRs showed. 1x AA, 2x BA and 1x AS

Suffice to say that we got to LHR eventually but that's a post for the Tier Point forum!

Last edited by Spongthrush; Jun 27, 2022 at 11:21 pm Reason: English!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Spongthrush
Yesterday, checked in at SFO with Alaska (AS) for first sector of SFO-LAX-BOS-LHR-DUB which is the return part of the itinerary originating in DUB a few days prior.

AS agent gave us one boarding pass for SFO-LAX and said they couldn't give us boarding passes for the next flight. They could see BOS-LHR as our next sector but as everything looked fine across the various PNRs we weren't worried and we'd kept a close eye on the upcoming sectors for time/seat changes.

At Admirals Club LAX we were told that our next flight LAX-BOS had been deleted from the itinerary, which was a bit of a surprise. We showed our boarding passes from the Alaska sector as first thought was that we'd not flown it and maybe no-show for SFO-LAX may have caused the problem, but as BOS-LHR still showed in itinerary, unlikely?

First agent (Admirals Club) said it was a computer glitch. Second agent (Flagship Lounge) said it was something BA had done when AA2110 was re-timed from a 1000 departure from LAX to 0956, but as they were somewhat defensive, couldn't explain further and wouldn't show us what they was looking at I thought I'd ask here.

My question is to try and understand what the reasons could be, whether it happens often and is there anything we, as pax, can do to try and avoid this happening. At no stage did I get any notification that the sector had been removed, but as seems usual, the only place all the sectors ever showed was in the AA booking.

Itinerary was booked though AA, 001 ticket number. 4 different PNRs showed. 1x AA, 2x BA and 1x AS

Suffice to say that we got to LHR eventually but that's a post for the Tier Point forum!
The main reason this happens is if theres a timing change that drops your flights under the required minimum connecting time. In this case BA systems remove the flights, unfortunately.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba
The main reason this happens is if theres a timing change that drops your flights under the required minimum connecting time. In this case BA systems remove the flights, unfortunately.
OK, thanks, understood, in our case arriving LAX from SFO at 0730 and departing at the revised time of 0956 shouldn't have been a problem. But the agent was insistent that it was something to do with the re-timing and BA....although same agent was insistent that 'resolving' the issue by putting one of us standby in Y (when we'd booked and paid for business) was fine as AA's commitment was only to get us to Boston in any class and if we refused to travel it would go down as a no show and the subsequent sectors would be deleted. Flight was full so we didn't get on it anyway.

Last edited by Spongthrush; Jun 28, 2022 at 5:46 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
OK, thanks, understood, in our case arriving LAX from SFO at 0730 and departing at the revised time of 0956 shouldn't have been a problem. But the agent was insistent that it was something to do with the re-timing and BA....although same agent was insistent that 'resolving' the issue by putting one of us standby in Y (when we'd booked and paid for business) was fine as AA's commitment was only to get us to Boston in any class and if we refused to travel it would go down as a no show and the subsequent sectors would be deleted. Flight was full so we didn't get on it anyway.
well in the end what did you end up doing?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VSLover
well in the end what did you end up doing?
After not getting on AA2110, despite the assurance from agent 2 that we'd absolutely definitely be going and had to accept our Y seats or else... the flight was full and no seats. After this, in a human equivalent of HUACA we tried agent 3 in the concourse who was actually keen to help resolve our problem and put us on the late AA direct flight to LHR, in business, which was a good resolution, even if it cost us 140TPs for the lack of a transcon sector. We relocated by Hertz bus to the Inn 'n' Out burger terrace to plane spot for 6 hours.

Have emailed AA to ask what actually happened.
PETER01, whirlybird and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

After not getting on AA2110, despite the assurance from agent 2 that we'd absolutely definitely be going and had to accept our Y seats or else... the flight was full and no seats. After this, in a human equivalent of HUACA we tried agent 3 in the concourse who was actually keen to help resolve our problem and put us on the late AA direct flight to LHR, in business, which was a good resolution, even if it cost us 140TPs for the lack of a transcon sector. We relocated by Hertz bus to the Inn 'n' Out burger terrace to plane spot for 6 hours.

Have emailed AA to ask what actually happened.
Hold up... where is this In N Out Burger that has Terrace views of hte airport? This would be a must stop at my next LAX trip.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:44 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
even if it cost us 140TPs for the lack of a transcon sector.
Whilst it's trickier because of the ticket being on AA stock, which makes it a bit harder for BA to see what happened, you should still ask for ORC (original routing credit) for the missed segments.
AirbusA350 and abligh like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by kbooks66
Hold up... where is this In N Out Burger that has Terrace views of hte airport? This would be a must stop at my next LAX trip.
In n Out Burger isn't my favourite but the location is hard to rival.

http://locations.in-n-out.com/117
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Sounds similar to the issue I had on my CLT - LHR flight last week when a schedule change resulted in a mismatch between AA and BA. AA reckoned it was non-ticketed and it turned into a circle of finger pointing.

No tier points or avios yet :-)
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

AA have replied, twice. Firstly an acknowledgement of my enquiry with 5k AA miles and subsequently an apology for the schedule change - which was 4 minutes not 4 or 40 hours - and they're sending a voucher for $150 by snail mail. Still no actual explanation, so it sounds like, as per the poster above, the AA schedule change caused a synch issue between systems.

I've now noticed that the original ticket number and the ticket number on the day of travel are different, so I can only assume that the schedule change of 4 mins caused a ticket reissue, so presumably this is when the segment dropped out. Next time I get an AA schedule change that doesn't appear to impact any min connecting time I will check that all the segments really are still there.

Re Inn 'n' Out burger, the Avis shuttle would be closer and we Ubered back to the terminal ($10). Plus I should have said 'patio' or 'outside seating area', it's not anything more fancy than that. But pleasant views of landing aircraft on 24L/R and a restroom, which the alternative plane watching location on the south side (Imperial Hill) lacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.