Missing connection at Heathrow?

Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Missing connection at Heathrow?

Hey everyone.

I'm flying BA from ORD to DUS via LHR in four hours. My connection departs at tomorrow 11:00 AM in LHR. I just received a message of an important videoconferencing meeting I really should attend between 10:00 and 13:00, making this connection impossible for me.

I tried changing my connection to a later flight via MMB, but the thing wants to charge me over 2,000 euros for this change. My accountant is a heart patient and I don't want to do this to him.

Is it worth trying to wait until I land in LHR to ask one of the ground staff to move me to a later flight for less/free?
Or maybe (unethically) not showing up for the flight on purpose and hope they just put me on the later flight themselves?

best regards
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I doubt either of these will work unfortunately.

If you want to change BA's attitude is you need to pay to do so. Short of disruption or cancellation they won't let you move for free.

If you no show then they won't just rebook you for free. Basically your LHR-DUS flight will be cancelled as will any other subsequent flights on the ticket.

The only solution I can think of is if this is the last flight on your booking you could no show and make a separate booking at your own cost on a later flight to DUS. If your booking is covered by BWC then so much the better as you can request a FTV after you arrive from ORD but before check in closes for your LHR-DUS flight, and you will get a voucher for the value of your LHR-DUS flight.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
You should be able to try a free same day change for the DUS sector anytime after midnight UK time tonight. If the WiFi is working on your flight from ORD try and do it after 6pm ORD time tonight. Or perhaps same day changes doesn't work when tacked on to additional LH sectors?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
You should be able to try a free same day change for the DUS sector anytime after midnight UK time tonight. If the WiFi is working on your flight from ORD try and do it after 6pm ORD time tonight.
I don't think a booking with connections will have SDC unfortunately. If it was a one way LHR-DUS or a LHR-DUS return it may have done.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't think a booking with connections will have SDC unfortunately. If it was a one way LHR-DUS or a LHR-DUS return it may have done.
Ok. I didn't know that!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by RTheys
Hey everyone.

I'm flying BA from ORD to DUS via LHR in four hours. My connection departs at tomorrow 11:00 AM in LHR.
best regards
I can't see a LHR-DUS service at 11am tomorrow (Tuesday)?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Definitely no same day change on any connecting itineraries. It has to be a simple non stop one way or return.

agree with KARFAs recommendation: unless first flight is late making it realistic that connection may be missed, just buy a one way if that is the end of the trip. If it is the outbound, however, do not do so or you will lose the rest of the itinerary

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 27, 2022 at 5:46 pm
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by cauchy
Yes, this is a very useful bit of information. I can't see it either.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by cauchy
Sorry you're absolutely correct. That should be London City. The booking has a change of airports. This actually makes this whole kerfuffle a bit easier as I have to collect my checked bag anyway.

I guess I'm just going to collect my bag and book the evening flight from LHR and have a loooong afternoon in the lounge.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Be aware, that if you don't take the LCY flight, any further flights in the booking will automatically be cancelled.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by golfmad
You should be able to try a free same day change for the DUS sector anytime after midnight UK time tonight. If the WiFi is working on your flight from ORD try and do it after 6pm ORD time tonight. Or perhaps same day changes doesn't work when tacked on to additional LH sectors?
free same day change is not availble on connrcting flights, only point to point tickets qualify.

If the flight from ord is the first leg of a return then rebooking at lhr after the first leg has been flown may instigate changes at a historic rate that might be cheaper.

As said if dus is thd last leg the ditching it and booking a later flight may be an option assuming no bags checked through

Alternatively, if the flight changes are too expensive then you may need to suggest rescheduling the call, which i guess is what you would have had to do had the call been scheduled while you were in the air from ORD

Last edited by scottishpoet; Jun 27, 2022 at 12:05 pm
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
If it were me I’d make my excuses and miss the videoconference call, taking the scheduled connection as booked, you can always get a recording of the meeting if necessary. If it’s a case of MUST attend rather than SHOULD, your organisation can foot the bill for the alternative flights and any cancelled itineraries.
bisonrav, etiene and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Magic words: "I'm flying at that time, could you possibly reschedule the meeting? If not, I'll call when I land for an update and pick up a briefing and my actions".
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
If it is absolutely critical and not attending at all would be career destroying, could you use an app on your phone, assume it is Teams or Zoom, and dial in at LCY at 10 am (using earphones ), leave at around 10:50 am or whenever they close the doors, and go back in around midday when you land in DUS? You would be there for around two of the three hours. Not ideal but some kind of compromise. I am inferring that the meeting is UK time?

I use the MS teams app and its really no more onerous than a telephone call.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
Changing flight departure is cheaper because its recalced based in historical fare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.