My Journey to GGL

Old Jun 27, 22, 9:03 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,894
My Journey to GGL

I though I would share my journey to GGL.

My renewal month is Sept 2021 - and due to the reduction in points required - 3750, as apposed to 5000 - and the change in policy that all GGL's get CCR, I thought this is a "once in a lifetime" chance to make it and stay there. I was already Gold, so got to use GF for all LHR flights.


So this is how I did it, and how much it cost.

My approach:

I took two approaches to getting to 3750:
1/ Maximise my TP's on trips / holidays I was already planning or wanted to take
2/ TP runs where the sole name of the game was lowest cost of TP - factoring in minimal work disruption / need to take leave.

1/ was really easy, with BA offering double TP on holidays, I could utilise this
2/ There were some fantastic CE fares during 2021/2022. I also used the BAH double TP here. I did not do any LH/TATL routes, due to the time out of work they would have required.

2021
Sept:

1/ Holiday
LHR-ATH: 100 TP / £243 / £2.43 TP

2/ Double TP Holiday
MAN-SKG: 480 TP / £1340 / £2.79 TP

Oct:

1/ Holiday
MAN-WAW: 160 TP / £TBC /

2/ TP Run
MAN-LHR: 80 TP / £215 / £2.68 TP

3/ TP Run
LHR-MLA: 160 TP / £215 / £1.34 TP

Nov:

1/ Holiday
MAN-LHR: 80 TP / £190 / £2.37 TP

2/ Double TP Holiday
MAN-LIS: 320 TP / £585 / £1.62 TP

Dec:

1/ Double TP Holiday
MAN-WAW: 320 TP / £550 / £1.52 TP

2/ Holiday
MAN-LHR: 80 TP / £119 (+5000 avios valued at £50) / £2.11 TP

2022
Feb:

This is where things get interesting. I decided to book a BAH trip to Turkey for a TP run, but I didn't want to spend 5 days there (well I wanted to, but didn't have the time) - so I decided to nest a return in so that I only spend the first and last night in the hotel. The times worked really well as I left late afternoon, and returned early/mid morning.

1/ TP Run (BAH double TP)
MAN-IST: 480 TP / £540 / £1.12 TP

2/ TP Run (nested return)
IST-MAN: 240 / £421 / £1.75 TP

3/ Holiday
MAN-LHR: 80 TP / £96 (+5000 avios valued at £50) / £1.82 TP

4/ Holiday
LHR-PRG: 80 TP / £192 / £2.4 TP

March: This is where I had some fun. Another IST nested, but before returning to MAN I visited Malta. It was a busy few days (MAN-LHR-IST-LHR-MLA-LHR-MAN and then MAN-LHR-IST-LHR-MAN all in 6 days)

1/ TP Run (BAH double TP)
MAN-IST: 480 TP / £552 / £1.15 TP

2/ TP Run (nested return)
IST-MAN: 240 / £458 / £1.90 TP

3/ TP Run (but I also wanted to go here)
LHR-MLA: 160 TP / £215 / £1.34 TP

4/ TP Run
MAN-OTP: 240 TP / £411 / £1.71 TP



Total:

3,780 TP
£6,342


Cost of TP runs to secure GGL: £3,027

Overal £ per TP: £1.67

Feedback:
I made it, it was tough at some points (checking in at 1am and leaving at 5am in Turkey (x4)) but It also means I now have GGL, and the CCR has been fun.

Would I do it again? most likely not, especially in 7 months!

Next: work out how much Avios I earnt to give a true total cost

Last edited by PGberkshire; Jun 27, 22 at 10:40 am
PGberkshire is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:33 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 439
Sounds good, but it's highly unlikely you will get the double TPs posted before the end of December, when the target goes back to 5,000.

In fact, do you realise that the target goes back to 5,000 on the 1st Jan - assuming the 25% reduction doesn't get extended. The "more to follow" implies that you're aiming to hit 3,750 after 1st Jan.
zen100 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:38 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ESH
Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
Posts: 266
Originally Posted by zen100 View Post
Sounds good, but it's highly unlikely you will get the double TPs posted before the end of December, when the target goes back to 5,000.

In fact, do you realise that the target goes back to 5,000 on the 1st Jan - assuming the 25% reduction doesn't get extended. The "more to follow" implies that you're aiming to hit 3,750 after 1st Jan.
My interpretation is that the OP refers to Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec 2021 here, and will post more details of flights they have flown in 2022 later.
PGberkshire likes this.
speedbird66 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:43 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 439
Originally Posted by speedbird66 View Post
My interpretation is that the OP refers to Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec 2021 here, and will post more details of flights they have flown in 2022 later.
Ah, I'm reading it that it's a plan to get to GGL from this September.
zen100 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:45 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: LHR / LAS
Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Posts: 2,131
The threshold will again increase back to normal come Dec , as stated above.

But if I were in your position id definitely go for it with the reduced thresholds till Dec.

With the recent addition of the CCR for GGL for subsequent renewals as well , makes sense. CCR, despite some failings, is a great place to spend time.

If you are looking for additional TP get yourself to Vegas from Dublin with an advanced purchase fare. Still some good deals out there and help support the local economy!
becks1 likes this.
crazyarmadillo is online now  
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:13 am
  #6  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 14,890
Originally Posted by zen100 View Post
Sounds good, but it's highly unlikely you will get the double TPs posted before the end of December, when the target goes back to 5,000.

In fact, do you realise that the target goes back to 5,000 on the 1st Jan - assuming the 25% reduction doesn't get extended. The "more to follow" implies that you're aiming to hit 3,750 after 1st Jan.
The OP is already GGL
alex67500 and PGberkshire like this.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:21 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Posts: 39,158
Well I'm flippin' knackered just reading it!! Congrats.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:24 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,894
Apologies. This is a historic view of what I have done - as Tobias-UK has mentioned I am currently GGL.

I do already have my 2250 booked in for my renewal between Sept 2022 and Dec 2022 to meet the lowered threshold. I can then go easy from Jan 2023 - Sept 2023 to earn GUF's.


I would estimate I earnt around 50,000 Avios, so in my head, GGL was a £2500 premium on Gold.

Ive also already used a GUF2 which saved me 90,000 avios on a redemption.
alex67500, 86BA7 and VSLover like this.

Last edited by PGberkshire; Jun 27, 22 at 10:42 am
PGberkshire is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:32 am
  #9  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 11,064
Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
Overal £ per TP: £1.67
There are two things in life that I don't calculate.
  • The amount of money I spend on golf and golf related stuff.
  • My $ or £ per TP. I don't do tier point runs so I'm probably at the other end of the value spectrum.
low1968, PGberkshire and becks1 like this.
golfmad is online now  
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:35 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,894
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
There are two things in life that I don't calculate.
  • The amount of money I spend on golf and golf related stuff.
  • My $ or £ per TP. I don't do tier point runs so I'm probably at the other end of the value spectrum.
Thats fair, and to be honest, half of my spend was on holidays that I wanted to go on, which also included the Hotel, so the overall £ per TP is not fully accurate, more of a guide.

You must be great at golf then
PGberkshire is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:37 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 64
Many congratulations on making GGL. First instinct is to think “that’s crazy” but if I had the time on my hands and didn’t have a 6 year old at home wanting 24-7 attention I’d probably give it a go!

I’ve got 500,000 odd Avios burning a hole in my pocket and seem unable to spend them. Various attempts have resulted in disappointment with BA cancelling flights and not offering suitably retimed flights. All leisure long hauls we are interested in are basically impossible for Avios redemption without a GGL joker, eg Easter 2023 to Barbados current lowest price cash tickets circa £5k each. A GGL joker would be invaluable here and make your cost of circa £3k to get to GGL look very good value….maybe I should have a look at the diary to see what can be done with TP runs!
BGI Runner is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:37 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Posts: 934
Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
I though I would share my journey to GGL.

.

Would I do it again? most likely not, especially in 7 months!

Next: work out how much Avios I earnt to give a true total cost
I bet you would. Once you realise the benefits you would try and do to again.
alex67500 and PGberkshire like this.
Krisz is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:47 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: LHR / LAS
Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Posts: 2,131
Originally Posted by BGI Runner View Post
Many congratulations on making GGL. First instinct is to think “that’s crazy” but if I had the time on my hands and didn’t have a 6 year old at home wanting 24-7 attention I’d probably give it a go!

I’ve got 500,000 odd Avios burning a hole in my pocket and seem unable to spend them. Various attempts have resulted in disappointment with BA cancelling flights and not offering suitably retimed flights. All leisure long hauls we are interested in are basically impossible for Avios redemption without a GGL joker, eg Easter 2023 to Barbados current lowest price cash tickets circa £5k each. A GGL joker would be invaluable here and make your cost of circa £3k to get to GGL look very good value….maybe I should have a look at the diary to see what can be done with TP runs!
You will also get more GUF1 /2 on your journey to GGL or wherever you may end up

They also are great where availability is scarce due to being able to book in other fare buckets
crazyarmadillo is online now  
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:57 am
  #14  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,503
PGberkshire what a dork

I’m sure you had lots of fun.
PGberkshire likes this.
madfish is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:58 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Posts: 2,696
Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
I bet you would. Once you realise the benefits you would try and do to again.
That's been my problem with Gold. Not having the F Wing, group 1 etc. would make me quite sad. Which is quite sad in itself...
alex67500 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread