Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sector Cancelled. Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by mjuler
What shocks me most here is that with one cancellation there's a gap of 9+ hours between LHR-EDI flights.
You seen the BA schedule to Dublin lately? I had an 8:35am departure cancelled and the next BA flight is at 21:05 - which is 12 and a half hours later.

Had to switch to Aer Lingus, so no Club Europe for me.
crazyarmadillo and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think I’d definitely be taking the GLA option, multiple flight options and your bags would be checked through. Then I’d try and claim the £50 from BA towards the taxi. Surely better than spending 9.5 hours at LHR?
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mjuler
What shocks me most here is that with one cancellation there's a gap of 9+ hours between LHR-EDI flights.
There probably won’t be a gap of 9+ hours. There will be flights, but most likely no availability. There will be 3 or 4 flights cancelled per day which will obviously create longer gaps between flights but will also reduce seats available on the scheduled flights left to operate.
This is not limited to EDI, I had similar 8+ hour wait at LHR after my original flight to ABZ was cancelled. The OP has my sympathy, it’s an absolute pain to kill that amount of time when you’ve just come off an overnight longhaul. Even worse with young kids in tow.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
I'd bite the bullet on the taxi and slide over to LCY on your stated date of 27 July. LCY is much better set up for flights to EDI. There are 8 flights that day (I counted 12 one day two weeks ago) and it is a cinch to travel through. Everything moves quickly there. You will easily be home well within the 9.5 hours that you'll be waiting around at LHR with potentially restless children. Choose an LCY flight that gives you a stress-free margin and, if you arrive early you have nothing to lose in asking to board an earlier flight. I do this all the time and they always oblige if seats available. If you're still not convinced perhaps you should take into account the BA threatened strike for which current prediction is late July. BA at LCY will not be participating in the strikes and, btw, I have travelled many dozens of times with my wife and 3 children by air when they were younger so I do share your feelings in that area.
RFT72 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here is an off the wall suggestion:

The DLR is pretty kid friendly if you get the front of the front. Depending on their age they may love it twisting and turning around the East End. So consider taking a taxi / Uber to Bank and the DLR from there. Book a flight that gives you plenty of time for this. The big disadvantage is getting luggage down to Bank is a nuisance, so the other option is to take the taxi to Tower Gateway and change at somewhere like Limehouse, same platform. LCY is also pretty kid friendly in that the take off and landings are more interesting than most places.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick
Day of departure. Only found out when I tried to check in my luggage!
That explains it. Day of departure cancellations are handled quite differently. I don't think your case can serve as precedent for BA paying for the cab ride
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:05 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Can they provide transportation to Kings Cross and pay for train tickets to get you home? IIRC that train ride was ~4 hours... not sure how little kids handle trains though (I think they're neat and am a big kid )
mot29 and RFT72 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:38 pm

One option that hasn’t been mentioned is checking the LHREDI schedule, rather than just availability. If there’s an earlier flight you’re not being offered (because it’s full), I’d accept the later one but explain at Flight Connections what happened and ask to be put on standby. There’s bound to be someone else who doesn’t make the connection on the day. Obviously this doesn’t work if there genuinely are no other flights running.
RFT72 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
One option that hasn’t been mentioned is checking the LHREDI schedule, rather than just availability. If there’s an earlier flight you’re not being offered (because it’s full), I’d accept the later one but explain at Flight Connections what happened and ask to be put on standby. There’s bound to be someone else who doesn’t make the connection on the day. Obviously this doesn’t work if there genuinely are no other flights running.
I don't think the odds would be very good for a family of five but if you were going to sit at LHR for nine and a half hours anyway you might as well try it
RFT72 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Well hugh.
Had I not bought a new iPhone and confirmed updating my apps and changing passwords my flight from LHR>FR on July 87 that was cancelled would have totally escaped noticed. NEVER got an email from BAEC or AA about this; Yes it an award flight but this is unacceptable barely 10 days out. Thankfully I have a great award TA who I notified but we are still navigating this s--- show
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
With kids, have you given any thought to a "day room rate" at any of the hotels that are right at Heathrow?

Gives you a base of operations if you want to go into town, a place to shower and nap if not.

Gives the kids a place to watch TV, go get snacks, and I thinks some even have pools.

My wife and I have done this several times with the Hilton at T4.

All the best.
RFT72 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.