BA 773 - F or J ... LAX-LHR-LAX

Old Jun 26, 22, 8:19 am
Original Poster

BA 773 - F or J ... LAX-LHR-LAX

I just notice the BA's 773 into/out of LAX this summer is operated on their 773 with the new business class. Is F really worth it anymore? What's the difference between F & J?
Old Jun 26, 22, 8:22 am

F is definitely better than J at the moment which is suffering from an awful degradation of the soft product bar BA's bedding itself which is still good (though they've cut out the "day blanket" from within the CW bedding set).
But IMO, avoid BA altogether. Fly AA, IB, AY or even EI - all of which are giving a much better onboard experience at the moment from a soft product perspective. Yes they're not direct, but you do stand to earn more Avios/TPs in the process than flying direct. BA is just really really taking the biscuit/p*ss at the moment from an onboard customer experience perspective on long-haul services. If you really want, you can book it with an BA codeshare. The only good things BA are doing at the moment is Club Europe and their LHR lounges.
NoY and ademanuele like this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 8:44 am

Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Gold; National EE
Originally Posted by AirbusA350 View Post
F is definitely better than J at the moment which is suffering from an awful degradation of the soft product bar BA's bedding itself which is still good (though they've cut out the "day blanket" from within the CW bedding set).
But IMO, avoid BA altogether. Fly AA, IB, AY or even EI - all of which are giving a much better onboard experience at the moment from a soft product perspective. Yes they're not direct, but you do stand to earn more Avios/TPs in the process than flying direct. BA is just really really taking the biscuit/p*ss at the moment from an onboard customer experience perspective on long-haul services. If you really want, you can book it with an BA codeshare. The only good things BA are doing at the moment is Club Europe and their LHR lounges.
i would be interested in how you think the Club World soft product is being degraded. Is this food and beverage related?
Old Jun 26, 22, 8:45 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by MikeTucson View Post
I just notice the BA's 773 into/out of LAX this summer is operated on their 773 with the new business class. Is F really worth it anymore? What's the difference between F & J?
Yes F still worth it.
Old Jun 26, 22, 8:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
If the price difference is not scary, it is always worth it.
Old Jun 26, 22, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
i would be interested in how you think the Club World soft product is being degraded. Is this food and beverage related?
Predominantly F & B related yes, but other examples:
- Literally the same menu for months with only minor changes: Chicken pie anyone? Or Cabbage chimichurri as the pitiful "starter"?
- As mentioned above, day blanket removed from the bedding set (not a big deal but still a downgrade)
- No hot towels
- Of course the single tray COVID-excuse setup continues (BA blames this on lack of crew and supply chain issues now as COVID excuse has reached its sell-by date in the UK)
- Club Kitchen has been heavily reduced/downgraded also
- Whilst Club Suite is more widespread, the old CW still very much present on over 50% of the fleet - the other airlines I've suggested all have far superior hard products to old CW IMO

Hopefully that's enough justification.
Old Jun 26, 22, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
AA is direct.

Over what period have you been able to determine the other airlines offer a better product.
Old Jun 26, 22, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula View Post
AA is direct.

Over what period have you been able to determine the other airlines offer a better product.
Well at least since the last 2 - 3 months, all the other above mentioned airlines bar BA have been offering a superior product in J.
Old Jun 26, 22, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Not enough crew, rubbish wine and dodgy second meal
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 10:54 am

Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Gold; National EE
Predominantly F & B related yes, but other examples:
- Literally the same menu for months with only minor changes: Chicken pie anyone? Or Cabbage chimichurri as the pitiful "starter"?
- As mentioned above, day blanket removed from the bedding set (not a big deal but still a downgrade)
- No hot towels
- Of course the single tray COVID-excuse setup continues (BA blames this on lack of crew and supply chain issues now as COVID excuse has reached its sell-by date in the UK)
- Club Kitchen has been heavily reduced/downgraded also
- Whilst Club Suite is more widespread, the old CW still very much present on over 50% of the fleet - the other airlines I've suggested all have far superior hard products to old CW IMO

Hopefully that's enough justification.
I was genuinely curious. I’m based in NYC and quite familiar with VS Upper Class for my hops across the pond, but am trying out BA in club suites for the first time on my trip next week. I have not flown Club since 2016 but did fly FIRST several times 2018-early 2020. I do appreciate your views. Do you have any insight in comparing between VS and BA?

Last edited by Buster CT1K; Jun 26, 22 at 11:02 am
Old Jun 26, 22, 11:19 am

I was genuinely curious. I’m based in NYC and quite familiar with VS Upper Class for my hops across the pond, but am trying out BA in club suites for the first time on my trip next week. I have not flown Club since 2016 but did fly FIRST several times 2018-early 2020. I do appreciate your views. Do you have any insight in comparing between VS and BA?
In terms of the Club Suite itself, it's definitely a great product, no question and better than VS' 787 and newer A350 product. I personally haven't flown VS recently to give you an accurate comparison, but if you're wishing to stay within OW, I'd rank it as follows (from most preferable to least):

- AY
- AA
- EI (I only rank this lower as it's pertinent that it's booked with a BA codeshare if you wish to earn Avios and TPs via BAEC, can also fly to MAN directly from JFK with EI)
- IB (though I haven't tried their new service improvements they've introduced since the beginning of June, so this may well go to 2nd/3rd place based on the few positive reviews that have trickled through since)
- BA (BA could easily go to 1st or 2nd if they pull their finger out and actually improve their soft product because if they do, in combination with Club Suite, it makes them one of the World's best just below the likes of QR)
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would say for a small increase F is better than J ( also consider the Club suite aircraft could be replaced by a non club suite aircraft)

F is not back to precovid ( ie no soup course, less dessert options) but is less affected than Club world.

If you do not have BA Gold or OW Emerald status then F pax get the LHR Concorde room and First wing status whilst Club pax get Galleries First.
Also in LAX F pax get the Qantas F lounge ( if it has reopened ) which is very good

Regards

TBS
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
its always a yes from me. smaller cabin (usually), much more spacious seat (compared to either club product) and more attentive service.

because the club suite cannot be guaranteed, i do not bother chancing it anymore on west coast flights and stick with first. JFK/BOS are the only markets where i'll chance it.

but to each their own.
Old Jun 26, 22, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I just notice the BA's 773 into/out of LAX this summer is operated on their 773 with the new business class.
You may have seen that this is what is planned on the flight you have looked at but there is absolutely no guarantee that it will be the CS and that can change any time. Only JFK gets the (normally) guaranteed CS. All else is subject to allocation and those can change at any time.
Old Jun 26, 22, 4:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
If you follow Boeing 777 Club Suites: route info and updates, LAX is consistently getting CS 90% of the time (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34356705-post1120.html), which is roughly as frequent as JFK is getting CS, so you don't have to worry as much about playing the CS lottery.

Search this Thread