Should I pay BAH balance?

Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Should I pay BAH balance?

Crystal balls at the ready folks!

About six months ago, I booked an AI holiday to Mauritius for late August. The balance is due in the next week or so.

Since then, as travel has re-opened, I booked Finnair flights to Singapore for the same time with the intention of going on to Borneo or Bali. I am permitted one 'free' change to these (ie no change fee but fare difference applies), but they were bought in a sale and are now three times what I paid.

My preference would be to go to Asia, but given the likelihood of disruption over summer, would you pay the balance in order to keep options open a bit longer?

Appreciate that this isn't a BA question, but I've had no response on the Finnair forum - is it possible to add onward flights to my Finnair booking?

Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:23 am
formerly JackDann

If you'd rather go to Singapore then cancel the other flights and go to Singapore. I can't really see any point on keeping your BAH to Mauritius if you'd rather travel to Asia tbh. In some situations it's worth paying the balance and keeping your options open, but I can't really see the point in this case.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I presume the balance is huge ? Definitely don’t pay if you are going to Asia instead.

What likelihood of disruption are you referring to? I’m off to Thailand end of August and not particularly concerned about anything ?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you! Concerned about strikes/cancellations here, rather than disruption in Asia - but hopefully that will be sorted by late August!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Editor
Thank you! Concerned about strikes/cancellations here, rather than disruption in Asia - but hopefully that will be sorted by late August!
Ahhh good to hear! Whilst this is probably for that thread, I dont foresee hardly any impact on long haul even if something does occur.
The_Editor likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:42 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by The_Editor
I think the disruption here is likely to occur regardless of your destination and is more to do with the airline that you choose to fly with!
The_Editor likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks both - really helpful! I figured that if there was disruption, a holiday booking would be the stress-free option, rather than separate flights/hotels.

As an aside [MENTION=728610]mikeyfly[/MENTION], where in Thailand are you going? It's the place I most want to return to but I had been put off by the weather at that time of year. If you have any reassurance to offer on that front, then Bali/Borneo will switch to Bangkok!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.