Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DLM to LGW CE with No food

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Then you should give your to the crew as it sounds like they have suspended the the online service and will be taking the trolley through the cabin and it will be first come first served.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:29 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by kingcole974
I’d like to know if it is indeed BA policy not to give first food choice to those with status or if
it was an erroneous decision by the CSM to only offer food to those in the front 3 rows.

This was an avios ticket so I’ll be wanting nothing less than the difference between Y and J avios or a space available upgrade on a future flight.

I will have to do my sums as although an avios ticket it was one I opted to pay extra cash and less avios for.
Absolutely do your Sums and be very clear in what you want from BA in your complaint - Also be absolutely clear that any refusal will lead to you going straight to the small claims court. Failure to do so will probably just lead to you going around the houses and taking up plenty of your time.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:34 am
formerly JackDann

CSM said it’s been reported and he’s fed up as it’s happening all the time.
Just quietly asked if it was his decision and he said he made the decision as people in the front row had paid extra for their seats by choosing them. I correctly him and said that gold, silver and bronze (from 7 days out) don’t need to pay. I’m not sure if he believed me!
Always makes me laugh when crew make up bizarre stuff like this. Surely the obvious, easier and honest answer is that service is done Front to Back!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That doesn't sound like you have discussed this with the IFL / IFM?
Correct but have since asked directly and have been told we will be brought something from the back.

I’ll keep you posted!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Sorry to hear this. And I assume you weren’t a late booking!

My take on this is that it is what it is and there are no easy wins.

If you are hungry then ask if you can buy something on board (have a look at what there is though) and as stated upthread try to claim it back.

By all means ask SCCM to log this and if they can ask customer relations to follow up.

In terms of dotting around cabin, that could cause just as many complaints and how would it work for couples / people with kids. Frankly you’re still going to get the gold card holder of the group complaining their kids are hungry or they’ve given their meal to their partner / expecting Gold privileges to mean feed my whole family. When everyone in J is entitled to the full service.

You could split the meals and try to give everybody something - ie some get a hot meal, some get a morsel of cheese, some get a pudding, some get a bread roll but that’s farcical & everyone would then need compensating and you’d need to split cutlery packs etc etc.

I think I might have tried to ascertain whether anybody would prefer compensation to the meal - from front to back - then work out how many don’t get it.

If there is a way to offer something from buy on board and charge BA (could a BA Manager meet aircraft on return with a credit card and submit catering receipt? Or the captain offer theirs with operations clearance to reclaim)? Or heaven forbid submit back with a discrepancy which management have to sort out. Yes if you only get a bob sandwich you do still need compensating for no business class meal but it’s an effort. No doubt this then means there is non BoB left for Traveller too. Or could somebody pop into the terminal & grab *something*.

I expect in practice though given attitude seems to be we dispatch short of catering from base, shrug, sozzles, then that just trickles down as in the end this is all extra work for the operating crew who are under enough pressure as it is.

Edit to add - sounds like they are as ever resolving it as best as they can on board.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Jun 26, 2022 at 6:58 am
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Meat tapas and a Kit Kat.

woo hoo!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well it's fascinating chatting someone 36,000 feet above Dubrovnik and I hope these meagre rations can keep you going for another 2 hours or so until you get to Crawley. But I guess you could also get a few bits from M&S there and claim that. Ideally accept the recompense from Customer Relations in Avios in due course, you'll probably get better value out of that than the eVoucher. In the mean time you may want to consider what sort of reduction you would have accepted if there was a Dutch auction by the IFL before departure.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I’d love to know how the flight came to be so under catered in the first place. IE was it just an oversight, is it to do with insufficient stowage or was there some calamity on the outbound / during turnaround requiring some meals to be binned?!

Sounds like there were 15 meals for potentially c28 passengers (assuming 7 full rows of club and an a/c with 4 pax per row, with a row 1). Assuming £60 compo pp then that’s cost c£780++ to compensate 13 pax.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Jun 26, 2022 at 7:12 am
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Now enjoying a half decent Malbec, having just opened the tomato thing in the tapas and have it explode all over me.

Have already put this trip down as ‘one of those trips’

In all my years of flying BA, I have learnt something……

BA carry sachets of a wet wipe labelled as stain remover!!

I can assure you they don’t work, at least against the tomato thing in the tapas!

At least there is no point trying too hard not to dribble my wine now!
SK, dddc, simonsmith and 12 others like this.

Last edited by kingcole974; Jun 26, 2022 at 7:23 am
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

woo hoo!
Dunk the Kit Kat in the tapas dips?
IAMORGAN and choosethedrew like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
I had a more severe case of this on an ATH-LHR flight about three weeks ago. Those in CE were told at the gate that there were no (hot) meals loaded at all. On the flight, there was naturally no announcement about complimentary food for those in CE (so just the single line about a snack and a bottle of water in ET) and just before landing, they announced that a customer services rep would be waiting at the gate with a £20 voucher.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I’d love to know how the flight came to be so under catered in the first place. IE was it just an oversight, is it to do with insufficient stowage or was there some calamity on the outbound / during turnaround requiring some meals to be binned?!

Sounds like there were 15 meals for potentially c28 passengers (assuming 7 full rows of club and an a/c with 4 pax per row, with a row 1). Assuming £60 compo pp then that’s cost c£780++ to compensate 13 pax.
Actually I think there are 5 empty seats from the 7 rows so £380 ++
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Did you buy this from the Speedbird Cafe or did the crew give it to you?

If the latter, BA will tell you that you were given some form of meal on board and thus reduce your compensation accordingly, if they give you any at all. Don't let them get away with it!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The crew are unable to give away free food from the Speedbird Cafe as it is owned by Tourvest and nothing to do with BA.
stevebintley likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Did you buy this from the Speedbird Cafe or did the crew give it to you?

If the latter, BA will tell you that you were given some form of meal on board and thus reduce your compensation accordingly, if they give you any at all. Don't let them get away with it!
It was a generous gift. As is the free flowing wine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.