Re routing options cancelled flight

Old Jun 26, 22, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF
Re routing options cancelled flight

My 11:05 flight on 1 July from LIS to LHR has been cancelled

Online no options were offered, I had to phone and the only option was a late night BA flight which is really not ideal.
I asked to be routed on IB via MAD (there are lots of options for sale on IB), and was told its not an option.
Any ideas why thats the case? Should I try again?
thanks!
Old Jun 26, 22, 3:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ring up again. I can't think of any reason why IB isn't allowed (unless it's a redemption ticket). Lufthansa is also allowed, along with Vueling and Finnair. They can also offer TAP for a same day cancellation, but that may take some effort.
KARFA and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Ring up again. I can't think of any reason why IB isn't allowed (unless it's a redemption ticket).
Why would reroute via IB not be allowed if it's a redemption ticket? I thought a cancellation by BA triggers EC261 which would allow any reroute that gets the passenger home as close to original scheduled arrival as originally ticketed? Also isn't @jrfsp320 entitled to compensation, assuming cancellation has only been notified within 14 days of departure? I also wonder why the flight has been cancelled?
Old Jun 26, 22, 5:43 am

Programs: TK Elite
For award tickets, BA will try to avoid rebooking the ticket into revenue class with another carrier, i.e. BA has to pay that carrier to fly the pax - much easier/cheaper to fly the pax on own metal.
Old Jun 26, 22, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
For award tickets, BA will try to avoid rebooking the ticket into revenue class with another carrier, i.e. BA has to pay that carrier to fly the pax - much easier/cheaper to fly the pax on own metal.
They do normally allow it for IB though, given it’s within IAG. I’m with CWS, best to ask again and be clear about what you want.
Old Jun 26, 22, 5:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The standard guidelines for IB rebooking include the following, which implies you are restricted if booked in a reward selling class X and U.

IB flights - only use U, P, G or X class if booked originally in these classes
Old Jun 26, 22, 6:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've been told that contact centre staff have been asked to avoid BA Avios to IB since some robot in Madrid is in the habit of cancelling tickets overnight, which then causes obvious problems the next day. On the basis that passengers want a solution rather than a new problem then it's best to stick to stuff that works.
Old Jun 26, 22, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
The standard guidelines for IB rebooking include the following, which implies you are restricted if booked in a reward selling class X and U.
I may be reading it wrong, but isn't it saying the converse? IE those 4 booking classes are only usable if you were originally booked a reward selling class (i.e. they are not available if you were booked into a revenue selling class). It appears not to be saying booking classes other than those 4 are unavailable if you were originally booked into a reward selling class.
Old Jun 26, 22, 6:05 am

So for clarification the policy applies for BA and IB. it states

Rebook into the same class as original or if not available, the lowest class available in the same cabin
So when it comes to rebooking on BA flights it’s possibly if there is space in the cabin regardless of selling class booked on originally and available.

However, the caveat is if rebooking and you were in U, P, G, and X, you can only rebook on to IB if at least one of those four is available.
Old Jun 26, 22, 7:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Avoid rebooking on LH. The airline is in complete meltdown at the moment.
Old Jun 26, 22, 7:29 am

I think every airline seems to be in a meltdown. Everyone that is apart from FR - although I dont think BA will rebook you on it

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...e-best-airline
Old Jun 26, 22, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
I think every airline seems to be in a meltdown. Everyone that is apart from FR - although I dont think BA will rebook you on it

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...e-best-airline
I've had 3 cancelled flights on LH this weekend. I think they outperform on the meltdown scale.
Old Jun 26, 22, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF
It was a economy revenue booking which was originally booked as an open jaw LHR-ARN , LIS-LHR. (I booked a separate IB flight between ARN and LIS.

The LHR - ARN flight was cancelled quite a few weeks prior and picked Rerouting online via HEL. The new ticket arrived which what looked like manual ticketing - maybe why other options arnt being offered?

No options are showing online for rebooking, not even the 1 available BA flight! I have rung twice now and both times told that they cannot see any IB options on their screen.
Old Jun 26, 22, 10:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
However, the caveat is if rebooking and you were in U, P, G, and X, you can only rebook on to IB if at least one of those four is available.
That's how I also read it first time around, but I've had it confirmed by BA that it means "can only use U/P/G/X if the original ticket was already in U/P/G/X, rather than vice versa". How individual agents interpret it though...

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I've been told that contact centre staff have been asked to avoid BA Avios to IB since some robot in Madrid is in the habit of cancelling tickets overnight, which then causes obvious problems the next day. On the basis that passengers want a solution rather than a new problem then it's best to stick to stuff that works.
That's because agents need to add a specific keyword to Avios bookings on IB, which gets added in automatically if the booking is made from scratch on IB, but needs to be entered manually if not.
Old Jun 26, 22, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by jrfsp320 View Post
No options are showing online for rebooking, not even the 1 available BA flight! I have rung twice now and both times told that they cannot see any IB options on their screen.
Sometimes Minimum Connection Time gets in the way here, or rather the system default, so you are sometimes best to gently suggest specific flights. Eg on 1 July I can see availability on
IB3109 departs LIS 12:30, arrives MAD 14:55
IB3180 departs MAD 16:50 arrives LHR 18:15.
Similarly I can see availablity on Lufthansa services via FRA, and I've no doubt GVA, VIE, MUC and / or ZRH.

Search this Thread