Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Short checking baggage to LHR with onward flight +1 day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold

My Sfo to LHR flight lands at 1355 on Jul 6. I have an onward flight LHR to Madrid at 13.05 on July 7.

Will I be able to ask SFO checkin to short check my hold baggage to LHR so I can access it for my (just under 24hr) stopover in LHR?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, you will
golfmad likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Short answer yes.
I asked for exactly this at SFO last month and it was done without them batting an eyelid.

Last edited by S_W_S; Jun 25, 2022 at 5:41 pm
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:25 pm

If one meets the entry requirements for the UK (visa/nationality related ones, as there are no more COVID related entry requirements for the UK), then generally this shouldn’t be an issue. I know QR are quite hot on it but BA tend to take a more pragmatic approach.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Would BA even through check a bag on a 23h10m connection? Especially given T5 closes overnight?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Would BA even through check a bag on a 23h10m connection? Especially given T5 closes overnight?
Yes.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes.
Indeed. As I understand it the limit is 24 hours (which is always going to be "overnight"), and 23h10m is less than 24 hours, so yes.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Personally I'd be inclined to carry whatever I need for the overnight and check the hold baggage all the way if that's practical though. So far I've been ok recently, but I keep hearing tales of woe about waiting for bags at the moment.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drwook
Personally I'd be inclined to carry whatever I need for the overnight and check the hold baggage all the way if that's practical though. So far I've been ok recently, but I keep hearing tales of woe about waiting for bags at the moment.
You have to make a judgment call about two different "woes".

The first is waiting awhile for your bag after Flight 1, but definitely having it in hand.

The second is blissfully exiting Flight 1 without waiting, but wondering whether your bag will make it to your next flight or has instead been dumped in some random pile of bags somewhere...
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: UA, AS
They offered to short check to LHR for me a few years ago on an overnight layover, so yes, you can short check with an overnight layover. I had two checked bags and the caveat was that either both bags had to be short checked or both bags had to be checked through, you cannot split one checked through and one short-checked which was what I wanted to do.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The second is blissfully exiting Flight 1 without waiting, but wondering whether your bag will make it to your next flight or has instead been dumped in some random pile of bags somewhere...
Knowing how the system works, I’d have a very high level of confidence that it will be fine. But if you’re worried, you can ask at the gate (or in the lounge) and the agent can tell you if your bag has been loaded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.