Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA retro nostalgia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

BA retro nostalgia

I was chatting with a fellow enthusiast recently and our conversation turned to "retro things we used to remember about BA". One item that was brought up was how, in the (extremely) old F class of early 2000s, when BA had no AVOD in F and one had to go to a crew member to request a cassette (is that what you'd call it?) which was dished out from a briefcase (or box, can't remember) to be inserted into a player at the seat before one can watch a movie. That made us chuckle how technology has moved on since then.

Would be interested to know if there's anything retro that this community can think of that makes you reflect back, and smile...
Ells, HIDDY and RockyRobin like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:04 pm

I remember that cassette player - it was in the days of the cradle seat in CW, but F had a flat bed. You picked your film from a selection, and if someone else had chosen the same film you'd go to your second choice. Another thing I do remember though - really excellent service in F done by the book.
HIDDY and 36902BRF like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:20 pm

Tbf that whole cassette IFE thing has been lurking around until quite recently on Emirates until the late 2000s/early 2010s in F cabins if I remember rightly when they still hadn’t fully rolled out their “ICE” entertainment system across the board. Of course
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Some old and interesting nostalgia here

The British Airways Nostalgia Thread - Your Photos
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

PUCCI GALORE....say no more.

Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you boarded there was a little slip for your cassette choice. If the machine in your seat broke and there were no free seats, you’d be a given a portable machine. Roughly the size of a laptop with a screen the size of Nokia phone.

This was the era of the fabulous Anya Hindmarch amenity kits. And overlapped with the time when BA actually served Krug In F.

The flipside to this was a frequently overcrowded T4 and the horror of Victor zone.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
When you boarded there was a little slip for your cassette choice. If the machine in your seat broke and there were no free seats, you’d be a given a portable machine. Roughly the size of a laptop with a screen the size of Nokia phone.

This was the era of the fabulous Anya Hindmarch amenity kits. And overlapped with the time when BA actually served Krug In F.

The flipside to this was a frequently overcrowded T4 and the horror of Victor zone.
The price?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Back in the 1990s BA First sometimes offered specials which were not on the menu. I remember having a delicious lobster thermidor as a special.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
The video cassette was used in the opening scene and closing scenes of Mission impossible. It was first introduced when 2x2 seating in F was still a thing, and smoking was permitted! The crew carved the beef at you seat with full silver service and knew about wine; they were intelligent, engaging and thoroughly professional. Don’t recall Krug but Châteaux Talbot was available
Anonba likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
This was the era of the fabulous Anya Hindmarch amenity kits.
Yes!! I'm still using that same Anya Hindmarsh amenity kit to this day... more than 18 years later!
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
The early days of the Shuttle service where you could turn up at the gate ten minutes before departure and be guaranteed a seat. If the flight was full BA would lay on another aircraft!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:05 am

Queueing in the terminal for a paper ticket to be printed.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:33 am

My Dad had a book of voucher tickets for GLA-LHR in 1980’s and anyone could use them, noone bothered about what name was on it. Me and my sister often just took one under his name. and some scribbling at check in.
In those days everyone had to ‘check in’ BA at GLA had about 8 desks, a help desk and a separate Reservations centre.
Think there was a BAC-111 on standby for the Shuttle guarantee.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Trent900
The early days of the Shuttle service where you could turn up at the gate ten minutes before departure and be guaranteed a seat. If the flight was full BA would lay on another aircraft!
I'd love to know if that actually happened. I turned up once at MAN, only to find the flight was fully booked. When I mentioned the "guarantee", they said it would take too long to fly another plane up from LHR, and the next flight wasn't full - so tough luck!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes it happened often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.