Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who to believe flightaware or BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Who to believe flightaware or BA?

Currently sat in the T5 lounge waiting for the delayed BA598 to Venice. BA says it's now due in at 2340, but flightstats.com is suggesting 2255. Any insight as to which is likely to be more accurate? We have to get over to the Lido, and last ferry is 0020, so wondering whether to try and book a private taxi just in case.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Until you get to be trundling down the runway, no-one will know. Usually BA.com/flightstatus is best, since they will plug in the known delays, whereas FlightAware will compute based on distance/speed alone. It may well be nearer 23:30 but no-one will know at this point.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks c-w-s, appears to be moot anyway as you don't seem to be able to pre-book on the same day! Fingers crossed we have a good tailwind 😏
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I would believe BA as they have the accurate flight timings for this flight.
Do you know why it is delayed?
bafan likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:02 pm

FlightStats is now also saying 23:40 FYI.
kath2049 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I find Google tends to be accurate!
kath2049 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
No idea, incoming arrived this afternoon. It's 2030 now and we're still queuing for the bus to plane so I think private taxi it will be 🙈
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Looks like the delay is down to late inbound flight crew.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
From anecdotal recent experience BA is very sub App in the Air.

AitA predicted pushback to within minutes... BA still had times that had passed.

However, anecdote is not data!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

So we ended up pushing back pretty much 3 hours late. Pilot made the best of it and even got a round of applause. No real explanation other than the inbound was late, but not sure it really matters. Arrived in Venice airport 2hrs50 late - so will advise sticking to Google and ignoring flightaware 😏 Managed to grab the last bus from the airport so 200euro saved on a water taxi ✅ Thanks all for your comments.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by kath2049
So we ended up pushing back pretty much 3 hours late. Pilot made the best of it and even got a round of applause. No real explanation other than the inbound was late, but not sure it really matters. Arrived in Venice airport 2hrs50 late - so will advise sticking to Google and ignoring flightaware 😏 Managed to grab the last bus from the airport so 200euro saved on a water taxi ✅ Thanks all for your comments.
Not sure why pilot got a round of applause for a 2h50 delay - I’d be booing them for not slowing down enough for that extra 10 mins!
SxMan, RK23, ajamieson and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:38 am
Original Poster

The round of applause was for the good humour shown on welcoming us on board. I was certainly thinking it was going to be a last minute cancellation after the multiple extensions to departure, so I think it was just a case of being pleased to be getting going. I was looking at the watch, wanting another go around when we approached Venice, but if we did that we probably wouldn't have made the last bus, so you win some you lose some!
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:15 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Although in my experience, BA's own systems frequently indicate things are all on-time with a departure, even when that time has passed and boarding has not even started at the gate, nor shows any indication of it starting soon.
kath2049 and flyingmonkie like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
Although in my experience, BA's own systems frequently indicate things are all on-time with a departure, even when that time has passed and boarding has not even started at the gate, nor shows any indication of it starting soon.
agreed - I had this experience a few weeks back where it was known weather at our destination was going to cause a delay. Boarded on time, door shut… 60 minute delay due to weather 🙄 TripIt was advising of the delay while we were going through security but BA app didn’t change I don’t think
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by kath2049
BA says it's now due in at 2340, but flightstats.com is suggesting 2255. Any insight as to which is likely to be more accurate?
FWIW, the flightstats log for this service indicates that the delay was set to 2340 too, so I'm not sure where the 2255 came from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.