Iberia downgraded me and kept my bag..

Old Jun 24, 22, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Iberia downgraded me and kept my bag..

IB flight MAD-LHR today, downgraded me to economy due to overbooking and added insult to injury by not delivering my bag. Would I be due anything for this? Hoping I can deal with BA as I bought the ticket with Avios through BA. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I would imagine you would be entitled to a refund of the difference in Avios between the cabin for which you paid and the cabin in which you flew. Raise a case with BA customer services.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In law the downgrade is down to the operating airline, Iberia, this entitles you to a reimbursement under the Mennens formula, see the EC261 thread for all the details on that, with Mennens linked in from the wiki. The complication almost certainly both airlines will want BA to handle this, since they are sitting on the ticket funds, from which this will be paid, as opposed to EC261 compensation which isn't ticketing related. It won't be a lot of money, but you best to a rough and ready calculation yourself. I think I would approach BA first on this, if they drag it out or give daft answers then MCOL both airlines. Note, do NOT ask for compensation for this, since they can and will decline. The bag will arrive in a few days. If you are home now then that's it really, usually the full remedy is to return your bag in the next few days, via DHL.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
In law the downgrade is down to the operating airline, Iberia, this entitles you to a reimbursement under the Mennens formula, see the EC261 thread for all the details on that, with Mennens linked in from the wiki. The complication almost certainly both airlines will want BA to handle this, since they are sitting on the ticket funds, from which this will be paid, as opposed to EC261 compensation which isn't ticketing related. It won't be a lot of money, but you best to a rough and ready calculation yourself. I think I would approach BA first on this, if they drag it out or give daft answers then MCOL both airlines. Note, do NOT ask for compensation for this, since they can and will decline. The bag will arrive in a few days. If you are home now then that's it really, usually the full remedy is to return your bag in the next few days, via DHL.
thank you, so even though I used Avios I should ask for cash equivalent? Id be happy enough with the Avios but cash would help take the sting out of the missing bag I suppose.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tootall33 View Post
thank you, so even though I used Avios I should ask for cash equivalent? Id be happy enough with the Avios but cash would help take the sting out of the missing bag I suppose.
You would initially ask for an Avios + cash outcome, as per the wiki, and if you have to take it further - so if BA doesn't pay it - then you turn it into a cash amount.
Old Jun 29, 22, 9:42 am
Original Poster

An update on this one. I made the complaint on the 25th and today I received an apology email stating I would receive 10,000 avios for the downgrade (which have already appeard). The ticket was 30,000 avios (return) with 80 taxes/fees. I am minded to just accept these avios and forget it rather than pushing for any share of those - they delivered my suitcase two days later without any fuss and it seems BA have plenty to be worrying about without my adding to their stressloads!
Old Jun 29, 22, 9:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Tootall33 View Post
An update on this one. I made the complaint on the 25th and today I received an apology email stating I would receive 10,000 avios for the downgrade (which have already appeard). The ticket was 30,000 avios (return) with 80 taxes/fees. I am minded to just accept these avios and forget it rather than pushing for any share of those - they delivered my suitcase two days later without any fuss and it seems BA have plenty to be worrying about without my adding to their stressloads!
Seems reasonable. I would also make sure you have been awarded the tier points for the cabin you purchased and not the downgraded cabin.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Seems reasonable. I would also make sure you have been awarded the tier points for the cabin you purchased and not the downgraded cabin.
Twas an avios booking so TPs to worry about on this one.
golfmad likes this.

Search this Thread