FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Iberia downgraded me and kept my bag.. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2084328-iberia-downgraded-me-kept-my-bag.html)

Tootall33 Jun 24, 2022 12:18 pm

Iberia downgraded me and kept my bag..

IB flight MAD-LHR today, downgraded me to economy due to overbooking and added insult to injury by not delivering my bag. Would I be due anything for this? Hoping I can deal with BA as I bought the ticket with Avios through BA. Any thoughts appreciated.

golfmad Jun 24, 2022 12:20 pm

I would imagine you would be entitled to a refund of the difference in Avios between the cabin for which you paid and the cabin in which you flew. Raise a case with BA customer services.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 24, 2022 12:24 pm

In law the downgrade is down to the operating airline, Iberia, this entitles you to a reimbursement under the Mennens formula, see the EC261 thread for all the details on that, with Mennens linked in from the wiki. The complication almost certainly both airlines will want BA to handle this, since they are sitting on the ticket funds, from which this will be paid, as opposed to EC261 compensation which isn't ticketing related. It won't be a lot of money, but you best to a rough and ready calculation yourself. I think I would approach BA first on this, if they drag it out or give daft answers then MCOL both airlines. Note, do NOT ask for compensation for this, since they can and will decline. The bag will arrive in a few days. If you are home now then that's it really, usually the full remedy is to return your bag in the next few days, via DHL.

Tootall33 Jun 24, 2022 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 34365980)
In law the downgrade is down to the operating airline, Iberia, this entitles you to a reimbursement under the Mennens formula, see the EC261 thread for all the details on that, with Mennens linked in from the wiki. The complication almost certainly both airlines will want BA to handle this, since they are sitting on the ticket funds, from which this will be paid, as opposed to EC261 compensation which isn't ticketing related. It won't be a lot of money, but you best to a rough and ready calculation yourself. I think I would approach BA first on this, if they drag it out or give daft answers then MCOL both airlines. Note, do NOT ask for compensation for this, since they can and will decline. The bag will arrive in a few days. If you are home now then that's it really, usually the full remedy is to return your bag in the next few days, via DHL.

thank you, so even though I used Avios I should ask for cash equivalent? I’d be happy enough with the Avios but cash would help take the sting out of the missing bag I suppose.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 24, 2022 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tootall33 (Post 34366009)
thank you, so even though I used Avios I should ask for cash equivalent? I’d be happy enough with the Avios but cash would help take the sting out of the missing bag I suppose.

You would initially ask for an Avios + cash outcome, as per the wiki, and if you have to take it further - so if BA doesn't pay it - then you turn it into a cash amount.

Tootall33 Jun 29, 2022 8:42 am

An update on this one. I made the complaint on the 25th and today I received an apology email stating I would receive 10,000 avios for the downgrade (which have already appeard). The ticket was 30,000 avios (return) with £80 taxes/fees. I am minded to just accept these avios and forget it rather than pushing for any share of those £ - they delivered my suitcase two days later without any fuss and it seems BA have plenty to be worrying about without my adding to their stressloads!

golfmad Jun 29, 2022 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Tootall33 (Post 34380480)
An update on this one. I made the complaint on the 25th and today I received an apology email stating I would receive 10,000 avios for the downgrade (which have already appeard). The ticket was 30,000 avios (return) with £80 taxes/fees. I am minded to just accept these avios and forget it rather than pushing for any share of those £ - they delivered my suitcase two days later without any fuss and it seems BA have plenty to be worrying about without my adding to their stressloads!

Seems reasonable. I would also make sure you have been awarded the tier points for the cabin you purchased and not the downgraded cabin.

Tootall33 Jun 29, 2022 9:37 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 34380512)
Seems reasonable. I would also make sure you have been awarded the tier points for the cabin you purchased and not the downgraded cabin.

Twas an avios booking so TPs to worry about on this one.