Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

As Qatar use Avios is it best to book an avios flight direct with them?

Old Jun 23, 22, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3

In the next week I will be booking BKK - DOH - DUB for next year.
As Qatar now use avios should I register with them and book direct or carry on using BA?
Will the availability of redemption seats be the same? Quantity of avios be the same?
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by Stormbel View Post
In the next week I will be booking BKK - DOH - DUB for next year.
As Qatar now use avios should I register with them and book direct or carry on using BA?
Will the availability of redemption seats be the same? Quantity of avios be the same?

Availabilty is better.

Why not join, transfer avios across and investigate. It doesn't take much effort, though make sure crucial data is aligned correctly between the programmes (for some reason dates of birth have been tricky).

If you don't like what you see, you can send the avios back into your BAEC account and forget about it.
Stormbel likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 6:21 pm

I'm not sure if you can use a household Avios pool with Qatar? Only Avios that you've got on your own account? Let's say I need to spend 100k Avios for me and my partner booking, I have 70k Avios, and my partner got 40k Avios. I can book flights on BA, but probably no way to book on Qatar website?
Stormbel likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:39 pm

If I’m not wrong, I believe BA significantly reduced and now matches QR in both carrier surcharges and amount of Avios required for redemptions. So in theory there shouldn’t be much difference.
Stormbel likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
BA are light and day better than dealing with QR (if you needed to call them for instance), but I would still book with QR. If there is a flight cancellation for example rebooking with a QR ticket is slightly easier because they don't need reward availability in that instance if you had a preferred alternative.
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:37 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Platinum, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
If your name contains a hyphen or apostrophe you can't link your BAEC to QRPC.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I heard this has been fixed, and in any case the Qatar contact centre has always been able to sort it.
:D! and A1pax like this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Availabilty is better.

Why not join, transfer avios across and investigate. It doesn't take much effort, though make sure crucial data is aligned correctly between the programmes (for some reason dates of birth have been tricky).

If you don't like what you see, you can send the avios back into your BAEC account and forget about it.
Agree availability as seen on QR is better than that on BA.

Note you don't need to move your Avios from BA to QR, and back, to and fro. When doing an award booking on QR, if you have a linked BAEC account, QR will just pull the Avios shortfall directly from BAEC.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by oruvin View Post
I'm not sure if you can use a household Avios pool with Qatar? Only Avios that you've got on your own account? Let's say I need to spend 100k Avios for me and my partner booking, I have 70k Avios, and my partner got 40k Avios. I can book flights on BA, but probably no way to book on Qatar website?
No, QR doesn't have the concept of HA. You must have sufficient Avios in your own linked BAEC account for an award booking - QR can only pull the required Avios from the linked account.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350 View Post
If I’m not wrong, I believe BA significantly reduced and now matches QR in both carrier surcharges and amount of Avios required for redemptions. So in theory there shouldn’t be much difference.
Routes:
- European routes have the same Avios requirement for BA and QR, but fees on BA is significantly lower than QR.
- For long haul routes, Avios requirements can differ.

Surcharges:
- QR doesn't charge fuel surcharge unlike BA which does.
- But for all QR redemptions, there's an arbitrary non-refundable fee of US$70 per segment for business and first, and US$35 per segment for economy.

So you should check both, if the same flights are available through QR or BA, which option works out to be cheaper overall.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I had this problem with a hyphen in my first name, and did a long battle of emails to QR - I could not link my BA to QR. Then a few weeks later I was reading a blog and they mentioned the problem was fixed - no reply from QR. I tried it and it worked - was able to link my BAEC to QRPC. Subsequently I transferred BA avios to QR to redeem an F award on QR at twice the number of avios (which BA did not have availability).
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:20 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
BA are light and day better than dealing with QR (if you needed to call them for instance), but I would still book with QR. If there is a flight cancellation for example rebooking with a QR ticket is slightly easier because they don't need reward availability in that instance if you had a preferred alternative.
Really? I had to phone QR to cancel a flight, waited 45 seconds to go through and then had the refund 3 days later....Can BA do that? I dont even get that s. GGL.
Old Jun 24, 22, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
Really? I had to phone QR to cancel a flight, waited 45 seconds to go through and then had the refund 3 days later....Can BA do that? I dont even get that s. GGL.
I've had quick refunds from both QR and BA.

But I was referring more to the person on the other end of the phone. Unless you get one of the Doha based agents who seem more competent/empowered, calling QR can be an exercise in patience and just a typical naff overseas call centre experience. I've had some decent calls with QR but they're in the minority.
Old Jun 24, 22, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Thanks for all of the information. We do have a household account and my portion is significantly less as I have just made a booking with Avios.com who automatically take the miles from the person who is making the booking.
That sort of scuppers me from making the booking but not my significant other. The next booking will probably need to dig into the total balance of our pot.
Old Jun 24, 22, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Stormbel View Post
We do have a household account and my portion is significantly less as I have just made a booking with Avios.com who automatically take the miles from the person who is making the booking.
Curious, why you'd book on Avios.com and not BA.com if you have a HHA?

Search this Thread