GGL Joker from New Zealand

Old Jun 23, 22, 3:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 158
GGL Joker from New Zealand

I'm trying to find a business/first booking for next week around July 3rd-5th, for a one way AKL to LON trip. I have a GGL joker and some avios to use.

Can I use a joker on AKL-SYD-SIN-LHR, even though the first leg of the trip isn't on BA but on Air New Zealand (can I pay cash for that leg)?
Otherwise would you recommend doing AKL-SYD on a separate booking? Is Australia open now and would I need a visa for a layover? I've never been to SYD before, how long of a layover would you recommend on separate tickets.

Any other ideas?

I'm waiting until tomorrow when BA phones are open in London to call them.
Pocalypse is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 6:20 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 494
GGL line is 24 hour, and the guy I always get through to in India late at night is pretty good.

I think you would need to buy a cash fare to somewhere like Sydney (on a separate ticket) and then use a joker to London on BA metal.
HFHFFlyer is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:53 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 18,700
Originally Posted by Pocalypse View Post
I'm trying to find a business/first booking for next week around July 3rd-5th, for a one way AKL to LON trip. I have a GGL joker and some avios to use.

Can I use a joker on AKL-SYD-SIN-LHR, even though the first leg of the trip isn't on BA but on Air New Zealand (can I pay cash for that leg)?
Otherwise would you recommend doing AKL-SYD on a separate booking? Is Australia open now and would I need a visa for a layover? I've never been to SYD before, how long of a layover would you recommend on separate tickets.
AU has been fully open since Feb 2022. With separate tickets expect you would need to go landside to check in for a BA flight. Checked bags?? I would allow 3:30hr or more. Better would be 4:00hr. But all your risk.
Visa will depend on your passport. Under current AU rules need to complete the AU DPD if in transit or arriving into AU.
AU govt--->https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid19

Airlines that fly AKL-SYD are Qantas QF, Air New Zealand NZ & Jetstar JQ. Also could fly AKL-SIN if that gives a better chance of using the joker.

FT--->Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
Unofficial site -->Arrivals at Terminal 1 Sydney Airport (SYD)

Good luck. Next week is not far away.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 23, 22 at 10:12 pm
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:57 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Posts: 844
GGL space release (aka joker) works on BA operated flight. There is no way you will find A or D class availability for next week either from Sydney or from Singapore.
if the trip is important forget the joker and look into Qatar. Probably have a marginally higher chance as they operates many more flights than BA.
zen100 likes this.
Krisz is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 12:41 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
GGL space release (aka joker) works on BA operated flight. There is no way you will find A or D class availability for next week either from Sydney or from Singapore.
if the trip is important forget the joker and look into Qatar. Probably have a marginally higher chance as they operates many more flights than BA.
Not just A and D - no availability in any cabin or any fare bucket for next week on BA. Zeros across the board

zen100 is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:17 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 26,858
Thatís a good reminder that the space release is not a magic wand. 1) ba metal only, 2) needs D or A availability in business and first, 3) maximum 5 seats in total can be allocated by space release so if other GGLs have been going for it before you or wonít work.

earlier this year, I wanted to buy (not release) an I ticket to syd. I had flexibility over dates but not a single day over a 60 day period had I available! I suspect the same was true of A.

All in all, these days, those of us wanting to fly to Australia and New Zealand upfront have to do it the hard (and expensive) way, book well in advance and pay a lot more than in recent years. If you want to buy something last minute, in effect, youíll have to book paid economy on whatever airline offers a decent deal or break the bank - still with whatever airline minimises the damage.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 24, 22 at 3:16 am
orbitmic is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:43 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Posts: 844
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Thatís a good reminder that the space release is not a magic wand. 1) ba metal only, 2) needs I or A availability in business and first, 3) maximum 5 seats in total can be allocated by space release so if other GGLs have been going for it before you or wonít work.

earlier this year, I wanted to buy (not release) an I ticket to syd. I had flexibility over dates but not a single day over a 60 day period had I available! I suspect the same was true of A.

All in all, these days, those of us wanting to fly to Australia and New Zealand upfront have to do it the hard (and expensive) way, book well in advance and pay a lot more than in recent years. If you want to buy something last minute, in effect, youíll have to book paid economy on whatever airline offers a decent deal or break the bank - still with whatever airline minimises the damage.
you need D class for business.
also you are right if any other GGL is using a space release on that cabin and flight you most likely wonít get the seats.
orbitmic likes this.
Krisz is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 3:17 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 26,858
Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
you need D class for business.
also you are right if any other GGL is using a space release on that cabin and flight you most likely wonít get the seats.
yes sorry. Foggy brain on my part! Duly corrected!
orbitmic is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:53 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SYD, Australia
Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Posts: 756
July 3 is the Sunday after schools break up for winter holidays in Sydney - peak season.

You need a visa to enter Australia if youíre using a separate ticket to start a journey in SYD.

You need to look at other options. Zeroed out in all cabins probably means itís likely already overbooked.
Funky Spike likes this.
JClasstraveller is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:49 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 158
Thank you everyone for the info and advice. There were two flights on 5/7 and 7/7 with A availability that I was hoping to grab. However, they were not available for space release. I admit, I had my hopes up too far for the joker.
Ended up going with a cash booking on Cathay: AKL-HKG-CDG-LHR. Honestly with how many flights are completely sold out in the following week, I'm happy with it.
Pocalypse is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:55 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 18,700
Originally Posted by Pocalypse View Post
Ended up going with a cash booking on Cathay: AKL-HKG-CDG-LHR. Honestly with how many flights are completely sold out in the following week, I'm happy with it.
Nothing on QR? Or EK? Destination other than LHR? (LGW, MAN etc)
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 9:00 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 158
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Nothing on QR? Or EK? Destination other than LHR? (LGW, MAN etc)
Not for the dates I needed (I ended up needing something for the next 5-6 days, so super short notice). I specifically looked at those two as well as many others. QR had some stuff with a 24 hour connection, which I didn't want. Most flights were just completely zero'd out.
Pocalypse is offline  
Old Yesterday, 12:53 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Posts: 3,150
Originally Posted by Pocalypse View Post
Not for the dates I needed (I ended up needing something for the next 5-6 days, so super short notice). I specifically looked at those two as well as many others. QR had some stuff with a 24 hour connection, which I didn't want. Most flights were just completely zero'd out.
It's the new normal. Returned from BKK last week with a severely delayed flight. No other options to rebook because everything (!) was zeroed out. Pre covid there was always a F1 or J1 to be found for the desperate non-price-sensitive. Not to be taken for granted anymore.
LCY8737 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread