FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   GGL Joker from New Zealand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2084213-ggl-joker-new-zealand.html)

Pocalypse Jun 23, 2022 3:51 pm

GGL Joker from New Zealand

I'm trying to find a business/first booking for next week around July 3rd-5th, for a one way AKL to LON trip. I have a GGL joker and some avios to use.

Can I use a joker on AKL-SYD-SIN-LHR, even though the first leg of the trip isn't on BA but on Air New Zealand (can I pay cash for that leg)?
Otherwise would you recommend doing AKL-SYD on a separate booking? Is Australia open now and would I need a visa for a layover? I've never been to SYD before, how long of a layover would you recommend on separate tickets.

Any other ideas?

I'm waiting until tomorrow when BA phones are open in London to call them.

HFHFFlyer Jun 23, 2022 6:20 pm

GGL line is 24 hour, and the guy I always get through to in India late at night is pretty good.

I think you would need to buy a cash fare to somewhere like Sydney (on a separate ticket) and then use a joker to London on BA metal.

Mwenenzi Jun 23, 2022 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pocalypse (Post 34363364)
I'm trying to find a business/first booking for next week around July 3rd-5th, for a one way AKL to LON trip. I have a GGL joker and some avios to use.

Can I use a joker on AKL-SYD-SIN-LHR, even though the first leg of the trip isn't on BA but on Air New Zealand (can I pay cash for that leg)?
Otherwise would you recommend doing AKL-SYD on a separate booking? Is Australia open now and would I need a visa for a layover? I've never been to SYD before, how long of a layover would you recommend on separate tickets.

AU has been fully open since Feb 2022. With separate tickets expect you would need to go landside to check in for a BA flight. Checked bags?? I would allow 3:30hr or more. Better would be 4:00hr. But all your risk.
Visa will depend on your passport. Under current AU rules need to complete the AU DPD if in transit or arriving into AU.
AU govt--->https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid19

Airlines that fly AKL-SYD are Qantas QF, Air New Zealand NZ & Jetstar JQ. Also could fly AKL-SIN if that gives a better chance of using the joker.

FT--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...l#post34356738
Unofficial site -->Arrivals at Terminal 1 Sydney Airport (SYD)

Good luck. Next week is not far away.

Krisz Jun 23, 2022 11:57 pm

GGL space release (aka joker) works on BA operated flight. There is no way you will find A or D class availability for next week either from Sydney or from Singapore.
if the trip is important forget the joker and look into Qatar. Probably have a marginally higher chance as they operates many more flights than BA.

zen100 Jun 24, 2022 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Krisz (Post 34364275)
GGL space release (aka joker) works on BA operated flight. There is no way you will find A or D class availability for next week either from Sydney or from Singapore.
if the trip is important forget the joker and look into Qatar. Probably have a marginally higher chance as they operates many more flights than BA.

Not just A and D - no availability in any cabin or any fare bucket for next week on BA. Zeros across the board

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0d31fe1d41.png

orbitmic Jun 24, 2022 1:17 am

That’s a good reminder that the space release is not a magic wand. 1) ba metal only, 2) needs D or A availability in business and first, 3) maximum 5 seats in total can be allocated by space release so if other GGLs have been going for it before you or won’t work.

earlier this year, I wanted to buy (not release) an I ticket to syd. I had flexibility over dates but not a single day over a 60 day period had I available! I suspect the same was true of A.

All in all, these days, those of us wanting to fly to Australia and New Zealand upfront have to do it the hard (and expensive) way, book well in advance and pay a lot more than in recent years. If you want to buy something last minute, in effect, you’ll have to book paid economy on whatever airline offers a decent deal or break the bank - still with whatever airline minimises the damage.

Krisz Jun 24, 2022 1:43 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 34364351)
That’s a good reminder that the space release is not a magic wand. 1) ba metal only, 2) needs I or A availability in business and first, 3) maximum 5 seats in total can be allocated by space release so if other GGLs have been going for it before you or won’t work.

earlier this year, I wanted to buy (not release) an I ticket to syd. I had flexibility over dates but not a single day over a 60 day period had I available! I suspect the same was true of A.

All in all, these days, those of us wanting to fly to Australia and New Zealand upfront have to do it the hard (and expensive) way, book well in advance and pay a lot more than in recent years. If you want to buy something last minute, in effect, you’ll have to book paid economy on whatever airline offers a decent deal or break the bank - still with whatever airline minimises the damage.

you need D class for business.
also you are right if any other GGL is using a space release on that cabin and flight you most likely won’t get the seats.

orbitmic Jun 24, 2022 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Krisz (Post 34364382)
you need D class for business.
also you are right if any other GGL is using a space release on that cabin and flight you most likely won’t get the seats.

yes sorry. Foggy brain on my part! Duly corrected!

JClasstraveller Jun 24, 2022 1:53 pm

July 3 is the Sunday after schools break up for winter holidays in Sydney - peak season.

You need a visa to enter Australia if you’re using a separate ticket to start a journey in SYD.

You need to look at other options. Zeroed out in all cabins probably means it’s likely already overbooked.

Pocalypse Jun 24, 2022 6:49 pm

Thank you everyone for the info and advice. There were two flights on 5/7 and 7/7 with A availability that I was hoping to grab. However, they were not available for space release. I admit, I had my hopes up too far for the joker.
Ended up going with a cash booking on Cathay: AKL-HKG-CDG-LHR. Honestly with how many flights are completely sold out in the following week, I'm happy with it.

Mwenenzi Jun 24, 2022 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pocalypse (Post 34367014)
Ended up going with a cash booking on Cathay: AKL-HKG-CDG-LHR. Honestly with how many flights are completely sold out in the following week, I'm happy with it.

Nothing on QR? Or EK? Destination other than LHR? (LGW, MAN etc)

Pocalypse Jun 24, 2022 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 34367023)
Nothing on QR? Or EK? Destination other than LHR? (LGW, MAN etc)

Not for the dates I needed (I ended up needing something for the next 5-6 days, so super short notice). I specifically looked at those two as well as many others. QR had some stuff with a 24 hour connection, which I didn't want. Most flights were just completely zero'd out.

LCY8737 Jun 25, 2022 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Pocalypse (Post 34367232)
Not for the dates I needed (I ended up needing something for the next 5-6 days, so super short notice). I specifically looked at those two as well as many others. QR had some stuff with a 24 hour connection, which I didn't want. Most flights were just completely zero'd out.

It's the new normal. Returned from BKK last week with a severely delayed flight. No other options to rebook because everything (!) was zeroed out. Pre covid there was always a F1 or J1 to be found for the desperate non-price-sensitive. Not to be taken for granted anymore.