Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pro-actively offering something which is not available, a new low

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club

I have an Amex 241 booking in J in December to Miami. I got an email today saying there are a few seats in F available and would I like to upgrade. So I clicked on the "Upgrade now" link, which took me through to the normal MMB section (without of course logging me into the booking concerned). I logged into the booking and "what a surprise", both of the Upgrade options cash and with Avios said Sorry you cannot upgrade this booking.

Honestly the place I get my nails done has better IT than BA. Surely someone who has studied the tiniest bit of marketing knows that if you send out an email, the link should work and you should restrict it to people who can actually take up the offer as otherwise it just serves as a(nother) way of peeing off your customers.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I have an Amex 241 booking in J in December to Miami. I got an email today saying there are a few seats in F available and would I like to upgrade. So I clicked on the "Upgrade now" link, which took me through to the normal MMB section (without of course logging me into the booking concerned). I logged into the booking and "what a surprise", both of the Upgrade options cash and with Avios said Sorry you cannot upgrade this booking.

Honestly the place I get my nails done has better IT than BA. Surely someone who has studied the tiniest bit of marketing knows that if you send out an email, the link should work and you should restrict it to people who can actually take up the offer as otherwise it just serves as a(nother) way of peeing off your customers.
I agree, I get emails to upgrade avios bookings using cash, it's so irritating.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Get plenty of these - mainly on "special upgrade prices" click through and nothing
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
This has happened to me few times but I would say that when it comes to busy flights, the email shoot will go to a number of people and someone may have been simply faster to take on the deal, especially with first class seats so scarse nowadays
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club
Surely a booking in J using Avios is a completely different fare bucket to a booking in J using Cash? Surely all they need to do is to set a filter on the bookings database for that particular flight to filter out Avios bookings? It's such basic stuff...
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaB
Surely a booking in J using Avios is a completely different fare bucket to a booking in J using Cash? Surely all they need to do is to set a filter on the bookings database for that particular flight to filter out Avios bookings? It's such basic stuff...
Yes Avios uses U class for Club and Commercial bookings use booking classes J C D R I. However there might be a few seats when an email is sent so availability can change quick.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I had this E-Mail for an F booking to JFK. Was hoping I could sit in the cockpit jump seat. Alas not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.