FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   'False Availability' - Had not seen this one before (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2084140-false-availability-had-not-seen-one-before.html)

mtfitzgerald Jun 23, 2022 7:31 am

'False Availability' - Had not seen this one before

Here is a new one, at least for me... I was trying to book NYC to GVA for mid-July in any class via any route using Avios. Nothing via LHR was available because none of the LHR-GVA flights have seats. Something that popped up, and still pops up was JFK-Madrid in Y on American, followed by Iberia to Geneva. I tried to book it and got a message that there was an error and I should call the call centre. I did so, and the person who spoke to me said he could not see those flights as available and that this was a case of what he called 'false availability'. At the time, this was for the flight leaving JFK on July 16th. That no longer appears in the system, but the same issue is there for other dates, such as July 17th. Anyway, I wound up using my Swiss/LH miles to book the trip. Here is the error message. Does this happen a lot?

Error

• Sorry, there’s a problem with booking this journey online. You can try selecting other flights or contact us so an agent can help you book the flights you have selected

neofung Jun 23, 2022 7:44 am

Try it on Iberia website?

mtfitzgerald Jun 23, 2022 9:31 am

Not sure I understand about trying it on the Iberia website. The flights exist. The only way I can book with Avios is on the BA website, I think. Am I wrong?

Globaliser Jun 23, 2022 11:27 am

Originally Posted by mtfitzgerald (Post 34362217)
Not sure I understand about trying it on the Iberia website. The flights exist. The only way I can book with Avios is on the BA website, I think. Am I wrong?

The flights may exist, but it may also be that the availability does not exist.

In theory, you can transfer your Avios from your BA account to your IB account, and book the flights on the IB website using the Avios that are now in your IB account. But there are hoops to jump through.

orbitmic Jun 23, 2022 11:35 am

It does occur fairly frequently yes. If you do a search you'll find quite a few threads on it (I think people might give it various names such as "ghost availability"). In short, sadly, the BA website sometimes shows flights as available which are not hence the recommendation to check availability on other airlines' websites which may be better at keeping their availability data up to date.

Hawes7701 Jun 23, 2022 12:33 pm

I have found this comes up mainly when booking multi partner awards. Not sure if the BA system struggles to price correctly due to it using a different mileage chart….

i have also found that phoning up doesn’t always work as they try the same search you have and get the same result.

have you tried booking the flights separately? I doubt there Will actually be much of a cost increase given taxes from Spain although mid connect would be an issue/concern.