Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA abandons a load of A380 diverted passengers at BOS (293/22JUN)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA abandons a load of A380 diverted passengers at BOS (293/22JUN)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cauchy
Can’t be sure it’ll work, but you might get a settlement.
I'd be pretty much certain it wouldn't work. This is a direct weather event affecting dozens of aircraft, no airline seeks to divert since it's incrediby expensive to do that, rebooking would not be easy for an airline or for an individual traveller with CB activity all up the Eastern Seaboard.
Markie, Tobias-UK and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
For whatever it's worth, the weather at IAD was not something I'd want to be landing in.
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/0...rough-dc-area/

Watching this descend upon the airport - which is right next to where I work - was pretty frightening. (The best part of being in the office under normal conditions is watching the landings.)
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: * Gold, BA Gold
Same thing happened to a friend of mine on Aer Lingus DUB-IAD. They diverted to BOS, waited a couple of hours, then crew went over time. Passengers disembarked and were told they might be taken to Dulles by bus. Bus didn’t happen and they were left in the terminal with the only instruction to come back at 10a to check in desk. No meal or hotel voucher offered. Of course all the hotels around were sold out. My friend “slept” on a bench in the terminal. Next morning he went to the Hilton to have his first real meal since lunch onboard. He checked in for 2p departure on the same aircraft. They gave all the passengers a sorry letter mentioning they’d get a 150$ or 150€ voucher for future flight on IE. flight landed before 3:30p at Dulles.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Interesting that BWI couldn't have handled these, or some of the, flights - and would have been much closer for bussing pax (or for pax to make their own way). The runway should be long enough since it handles 747 and Antonov 124's, although might have been gate/immigration capacity. Weather at BWI was somewhat benign being being east of the main action (BA229 was okay).
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by CKBA
Interesting that BWI couldn't have handled these, or some of the, flights - and would have been much closer for bussing pax (or for pax to make their own way). The runway should be long enough since it handles 747 and Antonov 124's, although might have been gate/immigration capacity. Weather at BWI was somewhat benign being being east of the main action (BA229 was okay).
As far as I know BWI has no A380 capable stands/infrastructure. Things might've changed in the past few years though and I can't find online sources to back me up on this (admittedly old) piece of knowledge.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by 13901
As far as I know BWI has no A380 capable stands/infrastructure. Things might've changed in the past few years though and I can't find online sources to back me up on this (admittedly old) piece of knowledge.
I think this backs you up:

https://www.faa.gov/airports/engineering/nla_mos/
13901 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
Hey! First time this week I'm right in something (or, if I ask my wife, first time this decade...).
wrp96, jokerjokerj and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
If it was an issue of having airport infrastructure capable of handling an A380, does that mean BOS is the only possible diversion airport (absent a real emergency)?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ORD would be the other option.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by Farringdon
If it was an issue of having airport infrastructure capable of handling an A380, does that mean BOS is the only possible diversion airport (absent a real emergency)?
The US airports capable of A380 ops are listed in the FAA link posted above in post #21. They are namely:

Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
sort of surprised there is no 'backup' way dealing with A380 - ideally there needs to be 'full service capability'. (Also odd that the Aer Lingus also went to Boston - def not an A380, maybe ground handling staff - or not).
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by CKBA
sort of surprised there is no 'backup' way dealing with A380 - ideally there needs to be 'full service capability'. (Also odd that the Aer Lingus also went to Boston - def not an A380, maybe ground handling staff - or not).
Not too sure as to what you're referring to. There is an alternate airport, which is where the flight got to.

Most probably it all went pear shaped once the crew ran out of hours and the local team had either no availability at hotels and no way to get passengers onto services to BOS at that late hour.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
This is strange. Expert Flyer shows the flight did depart BOS and landed at IAD.DOBA293/22JUN
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 293 -2 WE 22JUN22
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR LEFT THE GATE 1725
TOOK OFF 1750
BOS ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1915
LEFT THE GATE 1854
TOOK OFF 1948
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 2112 IAD
IAD AIRCRAFT LANDED 2101
ARRIVED 2107
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 293 -2 WE 22JUN22 ASM
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LHR 1725 WE FAJCDRIWETY/- 388 7:29
BHKMLVSNQOG/-
BOS 1954 WE 1500 TH FAJCDRIWETY/- 19:06 1:00
IAD 1600 TH 27:35
COMMENTS-
1.ENTIRE FLT- MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LHR BOS - DEPARTS TERMINAL 5
3.ENTIRE FLT- 9/ NON-SMOKING
4.ENTIRE FLT- SECURED FLIGHT
5.ENTIRE FLT- ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.LHR BOS - CO2/PAX* 301.17 KG ECO, 602.34 KG PRE
7.LHR IAD - CO2/PAX* 381.96 KG ECO, 683.13 KG PRE
8.BOS IAD - CO2/PAX* 80.79 KG ECO, 80.79 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
BHKMLVSNQOG/-
388 F 14 J 97 W 55 M 303
>
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:10 am
Original Poster

It is hard to read but the flight - scheduled for 22JUN - got into BOS at 7:54pm on 22 JUN.
It was retimed to leave BOS to continue to IAD for 23JUN at 5:15pm.
It didn't make it out until 6:54pm finally arriving IAD 9:07pm a little over 24 hours late.
Can someone please remind me?
This delay is in excess of 24 hours.
What does that mean for EUR 600 per person.
Does that fact that it was a weather diversion followed by crew timeout mean they shouldn't even bother to fill out claim?
They had expenses - they chose to stay at Logan and buy JetBlue tickets the next morning at 5am to DCA rather than wait until that night to fly the retimed BA flight.
In additional to weather, would BA say we won't pay for JetBlue because you chose to leave at 5am when would have offered you transport to IAD albeit 12 hours + later in the day?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chuck1
Does that fact that it was a weather diversion followed by crew timeout mean they shouldn't even bother to fill out claim?
They had expenses - they chose to stay at Logan and buy JetBlue tickets the next morning at 5am to DCA rather than wait until that night to fly the retimed BA flight.
In additional to weather, would BA say we won't pay for JetBlue because you chose to leave at 5am when would have offered you transport to IAD albeit 12 hours + later in the day?
There is a discussion about EC261 upthread. I haven't change my view about it. For the replacement jetBlue service, I suspect that will be paid, it depends a bit on what exactly they were told at the time, and what the BA app said. They would have been on strongest grounds if this was booked on jetBlue on the 22nd in the absence of clear rebooking from BA, but it's an area where the details matter. Expenses, such as hotels and meals, there shouldn't be a problem, and they should be submitted straight away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.