FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Never ceases to amaze me (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2084104-never-ceases-amaze-me.html)

kingcole974 Jun 22, 2022 11:04 pm

Never ceases to amaze me

Currently enjoying the early morning tranquility of the First lounge at LGW.

I can free pour myself from
a three figure bottle of scotch yet the only orange juice I can get is some cheap long life crap.

I need freshly squeezed OJ at 6am. Not JW Blue (although I had some anyhow!)

ThatT1Feeling Jun 23, 2022 1:15 am

… or that I can drink 10 cups of tea for free in the lounge but then can’t get a cup of tea without paying once onboard.

jonas123 Jun 23, 2022 1:29 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 34361036)
… or that I can drink 10 cups of tea for free in the lounge but then can’t get a cup of tea without paying once onboard.

you can, just buy a business class fare ;)

ThatT1Feeling Jun 23, 2022 1:32 am

Originally Posted by jonas123 (Post 34361061)
you can, just buy a business class fare ;)

true, but why would I want more tea onboard? I’ve already drunk 10 😂

PUCCI GALORE Jun 23, 2022 1:50 am

It never ceases to amaze me what people can find to complain about. Dear OP, if you must take 6.00am flight, don’t expect me to come down and start squeezing oranges for you. Mind you, in 20+ years of Flyertalk this is the first mention that I can recall about Orange Juice. I have no idea about whisky as the smell revolts me, however my husband I forms me that single malt is the best.

I really think that the Forum should reserve rooms at The Priory to recover from the quantities of alcohol we all consume at any hour. No, I’m not yet spiking my morning Carte Noire with Vodka.

DragonSoul Jun 23, 2022 1:55 am

Cheap long-life crap OJ is still better for you than multiple shots of whisky at 6:00 am. へ‿(ツ)‿ㄏ

dougzz Jun 23, 2022 2:15 am

It does make a general point about the seeming mismatch of £ on alcohol versus £ on other things. I like the teabags, so + for that.

What really annoys me though is all those heavy glass bottles for the water. What must it cost to freight those around. I hope they’re washed and reused rather than recycled as glass. Is there not an option to have a tap connected to some much larger container.

Yes I fly but still worry about waste.

bisonrav Jun 23, 2022 2:31 am

The notion of PUCCI GALORE squeezing until the pips squeak is too much for me at this time in the morning. I need a whisky.

blurt91 Jun 23, 2022 2:39 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974 (Post 34360855)

a three figure bottle of scotch yet the only orange juice I can get is some cheap long life crap.

Of course depending on your destination, the JWB can simply be used to prepare your body for the new time zone that you travelling to!😂

BarneyMcGrew Jun 23, 2022 2:50 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 34361066)
true, but why would I want more tea onboard? I’ve already drunk 10 😂

I wouldn't like to be behind you in the queue for the onboard lavvies in that case!

noFODplease Jun 23, 2022 2:50 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 34361102)
Mind you, in 20+ years of Flyertalk this is the first mention that I can recall about Orange Juice

Surely not Pucci, there were the F class breakfast wars where the quality of the juice was a major element of contention!
I also have a vague memory of you adding an approving post about an old school CSD who saw the outstation catering and said something along the lines of 'We can't accept this until there is fresh orange juice, I refuse to serve this to my First Class passengers'. If only that was the case nowadays..

mikebg Jun 23, 2022 2:58 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974 (Post 34360855)

Never mind LGW. The CCR is just as bad in terms of the lack of any fresh OJ.

1Aturnleft Jun 23, 2022 3:04 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 34361102)
It never ceases to amaze me what people can find to complain about. Dear OP, if you must take 6.00am flight, don’t expect me to come down and start squeezing oranges for you. Mind you, in 20+ years of Flyertalk this is the first mention that I can recall about Orange Juice.

I think its a fair question. Fresh pressed and squeezed juices are anticipated in classier hotels. I don't think it's out of the realm of expectation to anticipate them in a First Class lounge either.... like with most things just not in a BA one it seems. Even BACF manages to procure fresh squeezed OJ for CE for their breakfast service yet the best BA mainline can stump up in front of the curtain seems to be a couple of cartons of sunpride with a 4 year shelf life.... at least there's consistency between lounge and cabin I suppose. It doesn't make it OK though.

MaxFlyer Jun 23, 2022 3:24 am

What gets me about the orange juice is when BA advertise ‘fresh orange juice’ but in reality what you get is concentrated juice. I would prefer that they were honest. Other airlines state fresh orange juice and you get non concentrated juice.

PUCCI GALORE Jun 23, 2022 3:31 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav (Post 34361165)
The notion of PUCCI GALORE squeezing until the pips squeak is too much for me at this time in the morning. I need a whisky.

You put me in mind of a song bisonrav mon Brave

You go and squeeze me till I'm all aflame
( I call you by some other guy's name)
But like a rubber ball, I come bouncing back to you

I do not disagree with any of you. I am minded that clearly when there is a poor quality juice, there is always whisky/gin/vodka.....or best of all Orange Juice. Would you think me pert if I were to offer to go to the bar for you.

One of the problems of flying with fresh OJ (and they now pasturise the lot) is that it goes off quite quickly and has to be kept as cold as possible. I can truly say that I do not think that I have ever drunk Orange Juice in a Lounge recently and I will tell you why. I lived for too long in Spain and the oranges grew in abundance - I never drank carton juice - indeed I am unsure if it is even available - I was spoilt with excellent fresh for too long. The same applies to Bananas - they were picked having ripened on the tree. They were and are delicious - what I buy in France is tasteless and so I do not bother.