Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never ceases to amaze me

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:04 pm

This raises an interesting point of discussion: would the majority of customers prefer that airlines spend their limited budget on alcoholic offerings or non-alcoholic offerings?
adrianlondon and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CX HK
This raises an interesting point of discussion: would the majority of customers prefer that airlines spend their limited budget on alcoholic offerings or non-alcoholic offerings?
Personally, I prefer it spent on non alcoholic. Some airlines are quite capable of providing decent offerings ; QF and BA don't seem to be among them. EK, QR and WY all have decent offerings on board and on the ground.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I know the economics are potentially a little different, but it does surprise me how much better the catering on QR is given the J fares are often lower than BA - as a small example & noting I appreciate it's just from a pod machine, but we can get a drinkable espresso on QR while airborne. Yet on BA, I find the coffee in the air undrinkable - despite assurances it's the same beans as on ground - so it's either the occasional green tea (good luck if you're ever at the back of the plane), water or - more likely - a short shrug and something from the bar. I can't imagine it's lower cost to feed me Champagne/gin/etc than to do something about the coffee.
adrianlondon and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by drwook
I know the economics are potentially a little different, but it does surprise me how much better the catering on QR is given the J fares are often lower than BA - as a small example & noting I appreciate it's just from a pod machine, but we can get a drinkable espresso on QR while airborne. Yet on BA, I find the coffee in the air undrinkable - despite assurances it's the same beans as on ground - so it's either the occasional green tea (good luck if you're ever at the back of the plane), water or - more likely - a short shrug and something from the bar. I can't imagine it's lower cost to feed me Champagne/gin/etc than to do something about the coffee.
It is the water- and our sense of taste at high altitudes.

That said, I wouldn't drink coffee on planes- period. The water lines are not flushed frequently. There is plenty of data showing high levels of bacterial contamination.

You can be fairly certain that BA in its incessant penny pinching isn't likely to be prioritising this kind of cleaning...

Coffee/tea... not for me on any aircraft.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
That said, I wouldn't drink coffee on planes- period. The water lines are not flushed frequently. There is plenty of data showing high levels of bacterial contamination.
I can't say "never", but the chances of bacterial infection from coffee made on an aircraft is pretty close to a statistical zero. Even 70 celsius zaps most bacteria, and coffee itself is injurious to bacteria.
alex67500 and bisonrav like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:19 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can't say "never", but the chances of bacterial infection from coffee made on an aircraft is pretty close to a statistical zero. Even 70 celsius zaps most bacteria, and coffee itself is injurious to bacteria.
I am talking about the water being contaminated, not resulting "infection". Plenty of studies show the water on aircraft is pretty putrid. And I don't trust 70C or coffee to kill it but to each his own...

As for how it affects people, that clearly depends on the individual. I could also eat a piece of raw chicken and not be ill, but I am sure as hell not going out of my way to try my luck.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Oranges are easy to grow here...they're in season just now. For me the novelty of picking and squeezing them every flippin' morning wore off many years ago.If the missus wants it she buys it in a carton. I suspect oranges don't come cheap in the UK.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Oranges are easy to grow here...they're in season just now. For me the novelty of picking and squeezing them every flippin' morning wore off many years ago.If the missus wants it she buys it in a carton. I suspect oranges don't come cheap in the UK.
True freshly squeezed OJ, where it has been prepared directly for you or prepped a few hours earlier is always v expensive in the UK in my experience.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
True freshly squeezed OJ, where it has been prepared directly for you or prepped a few hours earlier is always v expensive in the UK in my experience.
Not as expensive as that fizzy grape juice people on here keep banging on about all the time.
krispy84 likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jun 24, 2022 at 9:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.