Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The curious case of the zero reward flight availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The curious case of the zero reward flight availability

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plenty of First Class to Boston or Atlanta in July if either of those places interest you. Business class to NYC as well.
duo and ModestPointsCollector like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 5:28 pm

Revenge Travel + Pilot shortages + Crew Shortage = BA does not want to give away Avios Flights
duo, mguinness, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by duo
Am an idiot - just noticed you posted June 2023. I'm after July this year - pretty flexible on location tbh just need a holiday like most tbh.
Just answered your own question...
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
my personal experience is that award (and I/A class) availability is really low in these days. I'm sitting on a bunch of GUF vouchers that I cannot redeem because there is close to zero availability on my travel dates in either reward seats or India or Alpha class (with German POS).
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Revenge Travel + Pilot shortages + Crew Shortage = BA does not want to give away Avios Flights
You mean BA doesn't want to provide discounted premium seats? Given the usual surcharges for premium long haul seats they aren't exactly giving them away in most instances.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I would look into Qatar offerings. They recently adopted Avios and they have significantly more options to Asia.
BA currently flying to a very limited destination with a reduced frequency and aircraft size. For exemple July 2022 to Singapore most of the days are completely full not a single ticket on any class. There is virtually no chance to release Avios seats.
BA had to reduce many route frequencies this summer so even places like New York is tricky. I would think it’s more doable but if you have a tons of Avios look into Qatar. (Or Iberia)
bostontraveler and DeathSlam like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Krisz
I would look into Qatar offerings. They recently adopted Avios and they have significantly more options to Asia.
BA currently flying to a very limited destination with a reduced frequency and aircraft size. For exemple July 2022 to Singapore most of the days are completely full not a single ticket on any class. There is virtually no chance to release Avios seats.
BA had to reduce many route frequencies this summer so even places like New York is tricky. I would think it’s more doable but if you have a tons of Avios look into Qatar. (Or Iberia)
Nice thing about Avios with QR is that you don't pay a premium for flying from LHR (just 150,000 avios and a bit more in taxes and fees compared to Ex EU).
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There are 4 Avios Business Class seats on every long haul BA flight. You just have to be quick to grab them as soon as they are available (330ish days in advance).
You mean 355 days in advance.
Brighterside and Fitruss like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze :(
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
You mean BA doesn't want to provide discounted premium seats? Given the usual surcharges for premium long haul seats they aren't exactly giving them away in most instances.
Compared to the cash fare equivalents in a lot of cases, they are pretty much giving them away (Example from yesterday, they dropped some CW returns to MLE in March 2023, cash price around £13k vs 125k avios, 241 and ~£1500) - BA are pretty fair with the seats they release for reward bookings, but they're largely all taken (except for NYC). Is this surprising given the circumstances around the last 2 years? Not really.
etiene likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
You can fly with Qatar using Avios
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Anonba
You mean 355 days in advance.
Yep.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: LX/LH HON, BA Gold, AF Platinum
Living in Geneva, my booking issue has not been the July NYC to LHR flights, it has been the complete non-availability of the connecting flights to Geneva on any of the dates that would work at my end.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold
Funny enough on AA all we can find is BA awards!
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by mtfitzgerald
Living in Geneva, my booking issue has not been the July NYC to LHR flights, it has been the complete non-availability of the connecting flights to Geneva on any of the dates that would work at my end.
Book Iberia. Only slightly longer but a better product than BA anyway in my opinion.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by AaronS123
Funny enough on AA all we can find is BA awards!
Yes but even those are becoming harder to come by.

Truth is that as has been stated above, there is huge demand for flights now... and huge operational issues. It's not going to calm down until October or perhaps sooner if the economy continues to worsen...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.