Transit time at Madrid airport?

Old Jun 22, 22, 11:53 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kent, UK
Programs: BA Silver; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Posts: 506
Transit time at Madrid airport?

I'm looking at BA flight from LHR to MAD in April 2023, which lands at 10.50am and then getting on Iberia flight to Quito (UIO), departure at 12.05pm (using AAdvantage miles). Assuming this is just a case of getting off BA flight and transiting to the gate is that enough time (hoping BA flight is on time)? I've never been to MAD so have no idea of logistics of transfer.

It's all on one ticket so not sure if I will need to check in luggage or use my business HBO allowance.

Guidance most welcome.
higham44 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 12:00 pm
  #2  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 36,360
I would very very strongly advise you to go HBO. If checking luggage then you will pretty certainly fail to do it since you will need to go through immigration, over to T4, pick up your bags, check them in, back through security, immigration, and over to T4S.

If HBO you arrive at T4S, just do security, and then back down to the gate for UIO which will depart from T4S. However, even HBO that's quite tight considering the fairly frequent delays for BA atm.
Lefly and RockyRobin like this.
KARFA is online now  
Old Jun 22, 22, 12:22 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: E14
Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I would very very strongly advise you to go HBO. If checking luggage then you will pretty certainly fail to do it since you will need to go through immigration, over to T4, pick up your bags, check them in, back through security, immigration, and over to T4S.

If HBO you arrive at T4S, just do security, and then back down to the gate for UIO which will depart from T4S. However, even HBO that's quite tight considering the fairly frequent delays for BA atm.
The luggage part isn't relevant if it is booked as one through ticket, it would also be a protected transfer, but that means they would put you on the flight the next day (they might hold the flight but ...)

It really is tight - Id get an earlier flight to Madrid if possible
KARFA, MatJarosz and Lefly like this.
E14 26C is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 12:27 pm
  #4  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 36,360
Originally Posted by E14 26C View Post
The luggage part isn't relevant if it is booked as one through ticket, it would also be a protected transfer, but that means they would put you on the flight the next day (they might hold the flight but ...)

It really is tight - Id get an earlier flight to Madrid if possible
Yes good point, I had incorrectly assumed separate bookings.
KARFA is online now  
Old Jun 22, 22, 12:42 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 4,218
If this is on one ticket the despite it being tight it is legal. Any misconnect you would get rebooked.

If there is any significant delay before you leave lhr then you might even get rebooked there
Lefly likes this.
scottishpoet is online now  
Old Jun 22, 22, 12:48 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 22,499
IBís luggage handling is pretty slow - any delay to your inbound and luggage is likely to be left behind. HBO if you can. Transfers IME arenít too bad but it has been a while.
jonkx likes this.
Swanhunter is online now  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:32 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Programs: BA
Posts: 7
Iíve connected many times in Madrid to Buenos Aires in the morning and only missed the connection once. I would however get the earlier flight that lands at 0945 as Iíve always had plenty of time for the connection with this one. Terminal 4s is huge and I have lost count of the number of times Iíve had to run from one end of the terminal, clear security and then run to the other end for the connection. That extra hour can really help.
jonkx likes this.
rwbarrett is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:37 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London Stratford, E7
Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Posts: 3,063
I’ve connected in MAD on a through ticket at that time but I took the earlier flight. You just need to go through transfer security which is very quick. The lounge is relatively busy then as you have IB and AA transatlantic flights leaviNg
KeaneJohn is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:01 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,899
I have done MCT connections (or very close to) at MAD many times and have not once had my bag miss the onward flight. It’s actually a very impressive set-up. Terminating bags are often painfully slow to arrive, mainly due to the distance they have to travel from T4S to T4, but this doesn’t apply to transfer bags, which are injected directly into T4S and the underground system works very quickly.
Confus is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:55 pm
  #10  
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: London, UK
Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Posts: 11,348
It was 45-60 minutes in the transfer immigration queue last week, with the arrivals queue even longer.
I would suggest maximum time possible at MAD.
Markie is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:51 am
  #11  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 36,360
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
It was 45-60 minutes in the transfer immigration queue last week, with the arrivals queue even longer.
I would suggest maximum time possible at MAD.
why would the op be going through immigration at MAD?

EDIT: the OP will be doing T4S to T4S.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 24, 22 at 6:27 am
KARFA is online now  
Old Jun 24, 22, 4:23 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Posts: 651
We transferred through MAD the other week from 4S to 4, our connection time allocated was 55min, we made it in about 40mins with no queue at passport control or security.

That said if you can I would leave longer, it made for a bit of a worry for me but I’m not a seasoned transferee in fact it was only my second ever!

I wasn’t truly relaxed until my bag popped out on to the carousel at the final destination
RockyRobin is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 9:29 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kent, UK
Programs: BA Silver; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Posts: 506
Thanks for the replies. The earliest flight with BA on a Saturday is 07.20 departure, Friday is 06.20. I have looked at rebooking with AA to the Friday for that earlier flight but there is no availability in Business from MAD-UIO on the Friday booking with AA miles. I might have to resort to paying for a ticket after all!
higham44 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 2:03 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kent, UK
Programs: BA Silver; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Posts: 506
Have finally managed to book my flights going out a day earlier to get the 06.20 from LHR to give me (hopefully) sufficient transit time in MAD.

The next question is how do I go about selecting seats as I booked using my Advantage miles, but I have no status with AA? I have Silver status with BA. LHR - MAD is on BA, MAD - UIO is Iberia and same return.

Not sure how I go about securing the seats. Help requested, please. Thanks.
higham44 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 22, 4:23 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by higham44 View Post
Have finally managed to book my flights going out a day earlier to get the 06.20 from LHR to give me (hopefully) sufficient transit time in MAD.

The next question is how do I go about selecting seats as I booked using my Advantage miles, but I have no status with AA? I have Silver status with BA. LHR - MAD is on BA, MAD - UIO is Iberia and same return.

Not sure how I go about securing the seats. Help requested, please. Thanks.
Try using QR, AY or RJ to change the FF number in your booking to BAEC number.
Once done hopefully it will allow to select seat on Iberia.
c001lh202 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread