BA16 (SYD-SIN-LHR) monkeypox outbreak

Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
I imagine the crew member noticed a rash developing and was taken for tests, which confirmed it was Monkeypox.

Quarantining the entire crew in Singapore for 21 days is overkill.
The index person had developed blisters (oh and by the by, went to a "massage parlor" in Singapore despite being ill, how reckless is that!) so that the crew rest area is a possible source of infection as Monkeypox, like smallpox can be spread by fomites.

Thus this is not overkill but standard epidemiology by the Singapore health officials.

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeyp...nsmission.html
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:45 pm

Originally posted by 1P:

AS CWS has implied, you would have received the jab at school, not via your GP. I remember having jabs at school in the 1950s, but have no idea what they were — I assume diphtheria, smallpox and polio immunizations, since these were routinely given to everyone.
The only vaccination I recall from grammar school days in the 1950s was BCG for tuberculosis.

Whether or not I had had a smallpox vaccination earlier, I needed one in June 1960 before my first flight to North America.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by RGS5526
The only vaccination I recall from grammar school days in the 1950s was BCG for tuberculosis.

Whether or not I had had a smallpox vaccination earlier, I needed one in June 1960 before my first flight to North America.
You didn't have the polio one on a sugar cube?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:46 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by mnhusker
The index person had developed blisters (oh and by the by, went to a "massage parlor" in Singapore despite being ill, how reckless is that!) so that the crew rest area is a possible source of infection as Monkeypox, like smallpox can be spread by fomites.

Thus this is not overkill but standard epidemiology by the Singapore health officials.

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeyp...nsmission.html
well the Singaporeans are doing their contact tracing for those on the flights…

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.