Wiki Posts
Search

BA free seat selection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:39 am
Original Poster

BA free seat selection

Hi,

I’m wondering why BA is allowing me to now select seats on 4 flights (one booking) for free over two months out. I’m not a Bronze/Silver/Gold member. I actually paid for seat reservations months ago on one of the connecting flights (UK-US) and only went in to check the price for the return, and even the internal flights says “you can choose any available seat for no extra cost” which I’ve done and it’s confirmed. They’re all BA flights, no AA or anything. I’ve never had that before.

I have a bit of a weird history and experience with BA with a lot of free unexplained upgrades and this is adding to the twilight zone I feel I’m living in. Maybe I’m completely missing something.

Last edited by lemmiwinkles; Jun 21, 2022 at 2:45 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Some tickets (class / fare dependent) come with free seat selection.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by lemmiwinkles
Hi,

I’m wondering why BA is allowing me to now select seats on 4 flights (one booking) for free over two months out. I’m not a Bronze/Silver/Gold member. I actually paid for seat reservations months ago on one of the connecting flights (UK-US) and only went in to check the price for the return, and even the internal flights says “you can choose any available seat for no extra cost” which I’ve done and it’s confirmed. They’re all BA flights, no AA or anything. I’ve never had that before.

I have a bit of a weird history and experience with BA with a lot of free unexplained upgrades and this is adding to the twilight zone I feel I’m living in. Maybe I’m completely missing something.
You're eligible for complimentary seat selection when booking certain fare types and booking classes. Y for Economy example can be secured at time of booking. B & H classes can be secured 48 hours out of travel regardless to status.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
You're eligible for complimentary seat selection when booking certain fare types and booking classes. Y for Economy example can be secured at time of booking. B & H classes can be secured 48 hours out of travel regardless to status.
Both internals are K and long-hauls are T. Any ideas on those? It was a BA Holiday booking.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Child under 2 on booking or anyone with status on booking?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rolandrat
Child under 2 on booking?
No, just two adults and zero status (Blue members).
rolandrat likes this.

Last edited by lemmiwinkles; Jun 21, 2022 at 3:16 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
No, just two adults and zero status (Blue members).
Has anyone in the party requested special assistance (disability etc), either for this series or flights (or in the past and/or asked the BA website to save the assistance information)?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
Has anyone in the party requested special assistance (disability etc), either for this series or flights (or in the past and/or asked the BA website to save the assistance information)?
No, nothing at all. Again, the seats were chargeable up until yesterday. We did pay off the balance at the weekend but I’m not sure why that would matter, there was no promotion or anything. I’ve never had that in the past with similar bookings, it’s always been paid selection or 24-hours before for free.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:37 pm

Is it a corporate fare? Many have free seat selection as part of their negotiated package.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Confus
Is it a corporate fare? Many have free seat selection as part of their negotiated package.
It’s not, no. Just a regular BA.com Holiday booking.

appreciate the help so far
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Sometimes BAs IT is frustratingly bad.

Sometimes BAs IT faults work in your favor.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pacenotes
Sometimes BAs IT is frustratingly bad.

Sometimes BAs IT faults work in your favor.
It seems I got quite lucky!

Last edited by lemmiwinkles; Jun 22, 2022 at 6:01 am
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Both internals are K and long-hauls are T. Any ideas on those?
T is the lowest fare class in World Traveller Plus and does not come with free seat selection. I suspect you got lucky with an IT malfunction when you paid for a seat on one of the other sectors. Hopefully it will stick through to departure but no guarantees.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
T is the lowest fare class in World Traveller Plus and does not come with free seat selection. I suspect you got lucky with an IT malfunction when you paid for a seat on one of the other sectors. Hopefully it will stick through to departure but no guarantees.
I technically didn’t pay for my “paid” one. I had paid for seats on a flight that was changed to this one. They moved over my seat booking to the wrong seat. When I went in to change it, it was asking me to pay again to move. I contacted BA who moved me to the seat I should have been in. I wonder if they left the keys in the lock, so to speak.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I technically didn’t pay for my “paid” one. I had paid for seats on a flight that was changed to this one. They moved over my seat booking to the wrong seat. When I went in to change it, it was asking me to pay again to move. I contacted BA who moved me to the seat I should have been in. I wonder if they left the keys in the lock, so to speak.
Yes, I think that's quite likely. "Knock yourself out" as they say over here.
lemmiwinkles and lotte like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.