Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Priority screening at LHR as BA Gold/OWE vs VS Upper Class?

Priority screening at LHR as BA Gold/OWE vs VS Upper Class?

Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:48 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Yes the security staff are Heathrow staff and are I believe (as with all UK airports) tested every so often by the Department For Transport (aka DAFT) for their competency. Somebody goes through with banned items in their carry on bags and if these aren’t spotted by security then those people lose their jobs.
Not at all.

Where failings are identified, the member of staff is subject to a progressive performance review process, with the opportunity to receive further training / coaching and for a period to be monitored on the job to varying degrees. This process can eventually result in termination, but that's quite rare and the whole point of the process is to help the individual concerned reach the agreed performance targets.

We do not have the "fire at will" culture of the USA !
MatJarosz likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Yet
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
+ VS UC wing has kerbside drop-off, the bag lugging distance is mere feet
+ VS UC wing is quieter
+ VS UC wing available to all J pax, not just elite status

+ BA F wing has more natural light
+ BA F wing goes direct to F lounge

On balance, and given the superior lounge, I would give it to VS.
sau54 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CKBA
Although things change, there wasn't fast track available for T5-T3 transfers when I went through there a few weeks ago (it was a nightmare with many pax made late for their flights).
Is there fast track though? What was transfer time with fast track like pre-COVID? I wish Heathrow would have a more seamless ways to move between the terminals airside!

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
If transit security at t3 was closed then any passengers transiting to VS at t3 would also not have been able to use it, so the 'elite' passenger experience that the OP is trying to compare would have been the same between VS and BA
Sorry, but I'm confused.

Not at all.

Where failings are identified, the member of staff is subject to a progressive performance review process, with the opportunity to receive further training / coaching and for a period to be monitored on the job to varying degrees. This process can eventually result in termination, but that's quite rare and the whole point of the process is to help the individual concerned reach the agreed performance targets.

Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
Yet
lol! I don't think the US have subway strikes like what is happening in London at the moment! Seems like there are more of a concept of job security in the UK than in the US. Workers' rights!

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
+ VS UC wing has kerbside drop-off, the bag lugging distance is mere feet
+ VS UC wing is quieter
+ VS UC wing available to all J pax, not just elite status

+ BA F wing has more natural light
+ BA F wing goes direct to F lounge

On balance, and given the superior lounge, I would give it to VS.
How does one use the curbside drop-off? Never heard of it before. Yes, I do remember seeing that the entrance to the security entrance is really short, which is awesome!

I thought UC Wing is available only to VS and DL J passengers? BA can use it too?

Once I become OWE, I would like to try CX and BA F in T3 so I can compare. The VS lounge was absolutely fantastic! My only regret was not waking up earlier to go to Heathrow! I was staying at the Hilton T4, which is absolutely inexcusable for me to get to VS lounge so late! I actually got up at 6 AM and wasted too much time having breakfast at the Hilton T4! Big mistake! Hopefully, it won't happen again! When flying VS or DL, I'm going to make as much effort to spend as much time at the VS lounge prior to the flight! Absolutely an amazing lounge that I recommend everyone to try one day!
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by sau54
Is there fast track though? What was transfer time with fast track like pre-COVID? I wish Heathrow would have a more seamless ways to move between the terminals airside!

Sorry, but I'm confused.

lol! I don't think the US have subway strikes like what is happening in London at the moment! Seems like there are more of a concept of job security in the UK than in the US. Workers' rights!

How does one use the curbside drop-off? Never heard of it before. Yes, I do remember seeing that the entrance to the security entrance is really short, which is awesome!
a question best asked on the VS forum

I thought UC Wing is available only to VS and DL J passengers? BA can use it too
you are correct, ba cannot use UC Wing

What the poster was saying is VS J can use UC Wing

BA J cannot use BA First Wing unless they are OWE. BA F can use BA First Wing. BA J use regular fast track
sau54 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Yes the security staff are Heathrow staff and are I believe (as with all UK airports) tested every so often by the Department For Transport (aka DAFT) for their competency. Somebody goes through with banned items in their carry on bags and if these aren’t spotted by security then those people lose their jobs.
That's not correct, a failure to spot contraband on an audit will result in a potential disciplinary and retraining, as well as potential increases in the percentage of bags/people that need to manually screened at that terminal for a while. There would need to be several failures by an individual for it to escalate to losing their job.
MatJarosz likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Not at all.

Originally Posted by stifle
That's not correct, a failure to spot contraband on an audit will result in a potential disciplinary and retraining, as well as potential increases in the percentage of bags/people that need to manually screened at that terminal for a while. There would need to be several failures by an individual for it to escalate to losing their job.
Yeah I should reread my sources before I post. What I originally wrote was based on this

Originally Posted by LHRGoon
The DofT only care when the one bags goes through the security machines. Once past you are allowed to take them out. ICTS is the company that used to do the FCC. They were fired for being incompetent.
from this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7651556-post104.html

My memory conflated the ICTS with staff, apologies for any confusion caused.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by sau54
How does one use the curbside drop-off? Never heard of it before
Details here, basically your taxi drives up to a barrier, the driver gives your destination and name, the bollard drops, they drive up the ramp and you get out a few feet away from a dedicated check-in desk. It's pretty rock star!
sau54 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Details here, basically your taxi drives up to a barrier, the driver gives your destination and name, the bollard drops, they drive up the ramp and you get out a few feet away from a dedicated check-in desk. It's pretty rock star!
Wowsers! That's awesome! Let's hope VS never goes out of business and maintains a tight relationship with DL!
EDIwanderer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.