Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does AA check-in upgrade post as Business or original cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB+, BAEC

Basically the title of the thread. I've been given a few upgrade offers on AA recently and I've been thinking of taking them up on the offer but I was wondering how it posts to FF. I actually use IB as my primary program but figured there'd be more depth of knowledge here. I know with IB and QR, you only get points for original cabin booked so was just wondering if there was any experience with it here.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
AA is the same, you only get the original points, their equivalents to POUGs and AUPs don't get extra Tier or Elite Points.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Is that the same for in app upgrades? Jfk to lax business to first, $700? Would that get 210 or just the 140 tp?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That's what I regard as AA's version of POUG, and that's 140 TPs.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Seems like the best strategy is schedule a double short connection and take the upgrade so you might get rerouted into full J. Of course if you only care about status getting a reroute into full Y is still pretty helpful for no extra money.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Interestingly I did an in-app upgrade with AA a few weeks back and it posted as J with 40 points and the Avios for the higher cabin. This was $194 for LAS - ORD.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Interestingly I did an in-app upgrade with AA a few weeks back and it posted as J with 40 points and the Avios for the higher cabin. This was $194 for LAS - ORD.
On a rare occasion there is a Monopoly-like bank error in your favor just as BA UuA would sometimes credit in the avios upgraded class.
Jerry Love likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I have done $74 in-app upgrades LGA-DCA a handful of times over the past year and they have always posted as business with the 40 points - not sure what the rhyme or reason is to when that happens.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: QF WP
I am 1/1 for them posting at the higher rate (LHR-MIA)
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Interesting. If you're in the AA program you get nothing but the upgraded seat. Not even Loyalty Points for the $ spent on the upgrade. Probably the main reason I've never taken up the offer.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:01 am

For the in-app upgrades with AA, I’ve tended to get the upgraded TP when purchasing in the days and weeks before. After check-in is open, the same process gets the originally booked TP.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by River in Sight
I have done $74 in-app upgrades LGA-DCA a handful of times over the past year and they have always posted as business with the 40 points - not sure what the rhyme or reason is to when that happens.
Indeed... did BWI-CLT the other week and took advantage of an online $40 upgrade to 'First'. It didn't post, but a quick call to BA (yes, it was quick) got the full 40TPs credited.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Well the anti-climactic resolution is....I wasn't offered an upgrade.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:55 am

Similar question but about on BA and BAEC.
​Airport upgrades are the new (higher cabin) Avios /TP?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Similar question but about on BA and BAEC.
​Airport upgrades are the new (higher cabin) Avios /TP?
Yes, if it's a paid for upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.