Wiki Posts
Search

"Our Cellar Selection"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
"Our Cellar Selection"

My CW flight this week had a wine list where every white / red was from "Our Cellar Selection". Our Cellar Selection has gone from 1 of the 4 wines to now all 4.
A total random mix of Australia / South Africa / USA (most at about £5 a bottle), and a total range of production year (2018/19/20)
The quality of the Bordeaux / classic French reds has also taken a turn for the worse...and sometimes missing altogether.
Not so long ago, would have said the BA Club World wines were not half bad.

What is the point of offering a wine list if they dont know what actually print what wines they are going to offer?
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Family member who is Somellier for a 5 star hotel in Greece tried one of them last month. He told me that you will get better wines at LIDL. But, to be objective he did say that one red and one white in GF lounge are quite good. I am afraid I don’t remember which ones.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA (GGL-GFL); AC (SE)
Not much better in F. One of the whites is a cellar selection. The one red and white I could find reviews of by Jancis Robinson were given rubbish reviews. The champagne - LPGS - is very good! But overall you’ll find better wines on Air France business.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
As posted on the food thread I'll be sticking to shorts, beer, or champagne. £5 red is hopefully a thing of the past for me. Similar if I go to a restaurant were the mark ups are huge.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by ermis177
He told me that you will get better wines at LIDL.
I take your point and I assume this was meant as a slight on Lidl as well as BA, but Lidl are well known for their excellent selection of wine, and at a very varied price point. Although I confess the first time I bought a decent and fairly pricey wine from them it did seem somewhat counter-intuitive! Bargains to be had… (although none will beat the bargain this week at a restaurant in Prague…2016 Sassicaia at 40% less than UK retail. And, yes, it was ready to drink!)
Old Jun 17, 2022, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
I take your point and I assume this was meant as a slight on Lidl as well as BA, but Lidl are well known for their excellent selection of wine, and at a very varied price point. Although I confess the first time I bought a decent and fairly pricey wine from them it did seem somewhat counter-intuitive! Bargains to be had…
Totally agree. I'm a bit of a wine snob (and also had a bit of oenology training in a previous life) and whilst there is plenty of bad wine at Lidl, there are also a few really interesting and sometimes very good bottles. In fact, I first went to Lidl because of a wine festival flyer I found from them, and that is still one of the things I look for when I go (with Lidl France having a much nicer selection than Lidl UK incidentally, but some interesting bottles at the latter too).
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
BA has less than no clue about wine which is why you see the odd very laudable bottle spring up randomly in Costa coffee Galleries Club.

I also believe that they used to know rather a lot about wine and the exciting drops we are teased with are vestiges of the halcyon days.
endoman and AAL2887 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: BAGA Gymnastics 4.
So which are the really good ones at Lidl? Enquiring minds wish to know!
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
BA has less than no clue about wine which is why you see the odd very laudable bottle spring up randomly in Costa coffee Galleries Club.

I also believe that they used to know rather a lot about wine and the exciting drops we are teased with are vestiges of the halcyon days.
Yes, Chateau Batailley Pauillac being served in North Galleries today. Approx £60 a bottle RRP.
endoman, Gastrocnemius and drwook like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Tootall33
Yes, Chateau Batailley Pauillac being served in North Galleries today. Approx £60 a bottle RRP.
Well that’s the most acute demonstration I’ve seen of no-one having a clue which wine should feature where. Not that I begrudge any lucky visitors to that lounge today, BA customers of late deserve some special treatment, but I would be staggered if the airline is buying such wines these days, so the limited stock should be deployed a little more appropriately - in my view.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tootall33
Had that in F in March, may divert to galleries north on tuesday instead of the F Lounge while Mrs endo is shopping.
Will100 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Well that’s the most acute demonstration I’ve seen of no-one having a clue which wine should feature where. Not that I begrudge any lucky visitors to that lounge today, BA customers of late deserve some special treatment, but I would be staggered if the airline is buying such wines these days, so the limited stock should be deployed a little more appropriately - in my view.
Quite. And most magnanimous of you - in my heady Gold days I would surely have been terribly chagrined to have been informed of such misallocation but nowadays…how the mighty have fallen etc etc
Old Jun 18, 2022, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by endoman
Had that in F in March, may divert to galleries north on tuesday instead of the F Lounge while Mrs endo is shopping.
grab an empty (and hopefully clean) glass from your lounge first btw!
endoman and AAL2887 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:27 pm

Not sure if it's still the case, but a few years ago in training we were told that the lounges get whatever leftover stock of a cycle we have onboard (before being sold off in staff sales)- so not surprising that the lounge selection is a bit random, especially given supply chain issues I suppose it's whatever our suppliers can get their hands on at the moment.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
I take your point and I assume this was meant as a slight on Lidl as well as BA, but Lidl are well known for their excellent selection of wine, and at a very varied price point. Although I confess the first time I bought a decent and fairly pricey wine from them it did seem somewhat counter-intuitive! Bargains to be had… (although none will beat the bargain this week at a restaurant in Prague…2016 Sassicaia at 40% less than UK retail. And, yes, it was ready to drink!)
loads of fake sassicaia around, buyer be aware

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.