Search

Air Baltic Code Shares ex LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL For Life: Hilton Diamond: IHG Platinum
Air Baltic Code Shares ex LGW

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have experience of the above?

Am flying LGW - RIX (Riga) in a few weeks on the Air Baltic operated BA Code Share (BA 2240 / 2243) and had the following specific questions

1. I assume that as a BA Gold I can access the South Terminal Lounge as well as Premium Gatwick security?

2. Will OLCI open as normal on the BA APP or website 24h before departure?

Keen on this as currently MMB says I can’t select my seats until Check In and would be nice to bag seats on the “twosome” side of the A220 (am travelling with my wife).

Also we’ll only have Hand Luggage.

Or would I be able to check in at that time via the Air Baltic website?

I haven’t tried asking the GGL line if I can preassign seats - anyone know if they can for the Air Baltic flights?

if anyone has any other info or anomalies would be very much appreciated 😁.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL, Marriott Bonvoy TfL
I *sort of* did this a couple of months ago, in that I'm BA Gold but booked via Air Baltic directly. What I can say for certain is that you'll get into the BA Lounge, as they let me and my guest in there - although the guy on the door seemed to think that was a bending of the rules.

Iirc, Air Baltic charges for advance seat selection (amongst other things) so not sure how that would work if you've booked as a BA code share. Does your reservation show an Air Baltic reservation code as well? If it does, login via the Air Baltic website and I imagine you would be able to pay for your seats, and choose meals etc (paid for, of course).

Enjoy though, they were an impressive airline and Riga is a great airport (with huge overcapacity).
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Steve74
I *sort of* did this a couple of months ago, in that I'm BA Gold but booked via Air Baltic directly. What I can say for certain is that you'll get into the BA Lounge, as they let me and my guest in there - although the guy on the door seemed to think that was a bending of the rules.
He was correct. Had you booked on BA.com under codeshare rather than prime you would be ok but the guest is still a rule bend.

For the OP's questions, I think the website may allow OLCI but won't give you a seat choice, the app will not work. You could try playing with Royal Jordanian's MMB, but I know know that it works. So if you don't get the seats you want the easiest will be at checkin in LGW. I can't see BA being able to select the seats.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
He was correct. Had you booked on BA.com under codeshare rather than prime you would be ok but the guest is still a rule bend.

For the OP's questions, I think the website may allow OLCI but won't give you a seat choice, the app will not work. You could try playing with Royal Jordanian's MMB, but I know know that it works. So if you don't get the seats you want the easiest will be at checkin in LGW. I can't see BA being able to select the seats.
Many thanks for both the responses.

I did book on BA.com under the codeshare and as my wife is also Gold in her own right we’ll have no issue with Lounge Access I guess.

I did think Air Baltic charging for advance seat selection would be the issue so I’ll just try my luck via BA.com 24h before take off as advised.

Would the Air Baltic website offer more choice of seat selection at that time ? (I have no idea if my BA Locator would work there)
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve74

Iirc, Air Baltic charges for advance seat selection (amongst other things) so not sure how that would work if you've booked as a BA code share. Does your reservation show an Air Baltic reservation code as well? If it does, login via the Air Baltic website and I imagine you would be able to pay for your seats, and choose meals etc (paid for, of course).

Enjoy though, they were an impressive airline and Riga is a great airport (with huge overcapacity).
As a follow up question how were Air Baltic on hand luggage? I note from their website they allow 8kg but with an option to “upgrade to 12kg”. Was this strictly enforced in your experience?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:14 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Is this HBO fare though?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SxMan
Is this HBO fare though?
No - each pax has 1x 23kg allowance as booked on BA.com. Not HBO fare
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by travelswithmybriefcase
As a follow up question how were Air Baltic on hand luggage? I note from their website they allow 8kg but with an option to “upgrade to 12kg”. Was this strictly enforced in your experience?
Wasn't weighed. We went for three nights, and each had a sports bag with a few changes of clothes and not a lot else. I did actually weigh my bag and it wasn't remotely close to 8 kg. I suspect it may be an issue if the flight is full and/or space becomes limited, but they rather over played the draconian baggage weight regs in my experience.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:22 pm

Would the Air Baltic website offer more choice of seat selection at that time ? (I have no idea if my BA Locator would work there)
If you are willing to pay for it, you can choose whatever seat you like on Air Baltic! A very pragmatic airline.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

I did think Air Baltic charging for advance seat selection would be the issue so I’ll just try my luck via BA.com 24h before take off as advised.
I doubt OLCI will work on the BA site.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Did it pre Covid. Lounge was no issue but if I remember I olci’ed on the air Baltic website. I was able to pick my seat not sure if that was fare related. I was also able to pre book a paid meal on the air Baltic website.

i remember the flight was great: plane was then brand new and very comfy, paid meal was very good and great value
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
I doubt OLCI will work on the BA site.
Yes, that seems logical so the next question is (at the risk of getting on everyone’s nerves and belying my status as someone who has actually flown quite a lot in my lifetime 😁 But there is a first time for everything for all of us &#128513

Would Airport check in be with BA or Air Baltic?

(I wouldn’t be able to check in on the Air Baltic website as my BA locator - remember I booked direct with BA under the code share - is not recognised)

If Airport Check In was with Air Baltic would it recognise my BA Gold status and thus grant Premium Gatwick entry?

(As I will be flying on a Saturday morning in the middle of the peak holiday period I am am keen maximise my benefits !)

So many questions I know …
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have experience of the above?

Am flying LGW - RIX (Riga) in a few weeks on the Air Baltic operated BA Code Share (BA 2240 / 2243) and had the following specific questions

1. I assume that as a BA Gold I can access the South Terminal Lounge as well as Premium Gatwick security?

2. Will OLCI open as normal on the BA APP or website 24h before departure?

Keen on this as currently MMB says I can’t select my seats until Check In and would be nice to bag seats on the “twosome” side of the A220 (am travelling with my wife).

Also we’ll only have Hand Luggage.

Or would I be able to check in at that time via the Air Baltic website?

I haven’t tried asking the GGL line if I can preassign seats - anyone know if they can for the Air Baltic flights?

if anyone has any other info or anomalies would be very much appreciated 😁.
I flew this route recently in business class booked through ba.com. In business class only one person is seated on the 'twosome' side of the aircraft while 2 persons are seated on the 'threesome' side of the aircraft with the middle seat free (similar to how Swiss arrange their business on the a220). Not sure what class you're booked on though.

Last edited by BarelyBAGold; Jun 22, 2022 at 9:53 am Reason: typos
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Would Airport check in be with BA or Air Baltic?
Air Baltic. Check-in is almost always with the operating airline.

If Airport Check In was with Air Baltic would it recognise my BA Gold status and thus grant Premium Gatwick entry?
No status recognition from BT, as they aren't part of oneworld or IAG.

You should be able to ask BA for the BT operating PNR, and see if you can use that on BT's website instead.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Air Baltic. Check-in is almost always with the operating airline.

No status recognition from BT, as they aren't part of oneworld or IAG.

You should be able to ask BA for the BT operating PNR, and see if you can use that on BT's website instead.
correct on both counts. Air Baltic check in and regular queue if flying y. I don’t remember needing a different pnr though it was a long time ago!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.