FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA15 [LHR-SIN] in reported ‘near miss’ incident over Turkey (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2083288-ba15-lhr-sin-reported-near-miss-incident-over-turkey.html)

Hotcat1970 Jun 16, 2022 6:40 am

BA15 [LHR-SIN] in reported ‘near miss’ incident over Turkey

Unlikely I know, though reported as factual in this less than stellar piece in Singapore today relating to a ‘near miss’ over Turkey. Make of it what you will….
https://mothership.sg/2022/06/srilan...tCMmCPxPraE64M

ajeleonard Jun 16, 2022 6:48 am

FR24 data does appear to match up with the description in the article

At 23.50 GMT on Monday both aircraft are over Northern Turkey

UL504 33,000ft 482 knots
BA15 35,000ft, 503 knots

Jon MilnerMatthews Jun 16, 2022 6:50 am

Isn't a near miss defined as 3-5 miles separation, not 15 miles separation? Whilst not ideal, it was not a near miss.

Globaliser Jun 16, 2022 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Jon MilnerMatthews (Post 34341113)
Isn't a near miss defined as 3-5 miles separation, not 15 miles separation? Whilst not ideal, it was not a near miss.

From these media articles, it seems not to have been much of anything at all.

As I read the reports, it was something like this: The UL is at FL330, and the BA is at FL350 15 miles away. ATC tells the UL to climb to FL350. UL doesn't start the climb, and says to ATC: um, there's another aircraft at FL350. ATC says no, there isn't. Then ATC says oh yes, so there is, and cancels the climb instruction.

Does that look about right?

alex67500 Jun 16, 2022 7:50 am

The BA flight was going to Dubai and then onto Singapore??

ajeleonard Jun 16, 2022 7:53 am

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 34341275)
The BA flight was going to Dubai and then onto Singapore??

No it was nonstop to Singapore. I imagine it is just casual reference to the routing

fluffymitten Jun 16, 2022 7:57 am

I always find the term 'near miss' interesting.

If you nearly miss something, that suggests you intended to hit it. We really should be saying 'near hit' which is a more accurate description of what nearly happened.

Jon MilnerMatthews Jun 16, 2022 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 34341160)
Does that look about right?

That was pretty much my take on it, a complete non-story.

flatlander Jun 16, 2022 8:00 am

Seems like "an incident", but perhaps not a "serious incident" ?

And there are a lot of "incidents" we never hear about. Even fairly minor things can be classed as an incident (and I wouldn't consider this minor - if the UL had followed the climb instruction, both aircraft might have had their TCAS activate and tell them to take sudden action, and no-one wants that if they can avoid it).

TedToToe Jun 16, 2022 8:05 am

Originally Posted by fluffymitten (Post 34341296)
I always find the term 'near miss' interesting.

If you nearly miss something, that suggests you intended to hit it. We really should be saying 'near hit' which is a more accurate description of what nearly happened.

Much the same as why missiles are so called, when they are intended to 'hit' the target. Though, in this instance, it's from the Latin 'miss' meaning to send!

Oxon Flyer Jun 16, 2022 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Jon MilnerMatthews (Post 34341298)

As always when these threads appear on FT, it’s quite a while before we know whether reported ‘airprox’ incidents, once properly investigated, are serious or not.

Globaliser Jun 16, 2022 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 34341332)

Originally Posted by Jon MilnerMatthews (Post 34341298)

As always when these threads appear on FT, it’s quite a while before we know whether reported ‘airprox’ incidents, once properly investigated, are serious or not.

To be fair, I think that Jon MilnerMatthews' comment was (like mine, to which he was responding) expressly based on the clutch of media articles referred to.

Of course, if those media articles contain anything resembling the core of what happened, I suspect that hell might freeze over before anyone launches any form of official investigation into it.

Sigwx Jun 16, 2022 9:05 am

A total non story. I have seen what is alleged to be the Mandatory Occurrence Report form for this ‘event’. Neither aircraft deviated from cleared or previously cleared level and no loss of separation ever occurred.

DYKWIA Jun 16, 2022 9:05 am

Wow, that report beat The Sun one from yesterday for errors :D

flatlander Jun 16, 2022 9:21 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe (Post 34341323)
Much the same as why missiles are so called, when they are intended to 'hit' the target. Though, in this instance, it's from the Latin 'miss' meaning to send!

There's a story that Kelly Johnson (F-104, U-2, SR-71, etc) had a very dim view of having Lockheed make missiles because he thought they were a waste of time: "If they were good, they'd be called hittles"