Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA15 [LHR-SIN] in reported ‘near miss’ incident over Turkey

BA15 [LHR-SIN] in reported ‘near miss’ incident over Turkey

Old Jun 16, 22, 10:03 am
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Posts: 39,158
Pity Boy George wasn't on the flight.
mikeyfly and LCSinTexas like this.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 2:28 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cambridge
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,460
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Pity Boy George wasn't on the flight.
That one's gone right over my head!
TedToToe is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 3:00 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 200
So the only story here of this non-story is how/why the ATC could not/did not see BA on the radar?
Cris is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 3:10 pm
  #19  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 14,890
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
So the only story here of this non-story is how/why the ATC could not/did not see BA on the radar?
Perhaps BA were trying to cut costs and switched off the transponder to save on the fuel bill? 😁
HIDDY, PETER01, the810 and 2 others like this.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 3:29 pm
  #20  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,876
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Pity Boy George wasn't on the flight
Originally Posted by TedToToe View Post
That one's gone right over my head!
https://www-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampp...-aircraft.html
HIDDY and TedToToe like this.
PETER01 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 3:56 pm
  #21  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,876
I had a near miss once at Heathrow T5 which gave me a slight fright.

I was in the

CCR1 - Floor level 1

and was heading out with the intention to go along and down the escalators to catch my flight when suddenly out of the corner of my eye I saw a Silver card holder on the same trajectory as me coming down at a rapid speed from Floor Level 2 from GCS.

Thankfully, I took a wide separation to the standard 2-3 metres separation required amongst status holders to avoid actual physical contact but..... it was a close one

(This is in jest just to confirm any doubts!)
simonsmith, dcmike, SKT-DK and 9 others like this.
PETER01 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 4:11 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 38,636
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
So the only story here of this non-story is how/why the ATC could not/did not see BA on the radar?
Pure speculation, but the story says that the climb instruction was given to UL soon after it entered Turkish airspace, and that the BA was behind the UL. So perhaps the BA hadn't yet been handed off to the Turkish controller and wasn't in his mental picture, so it was overlooked?
Globaliser is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 4:17 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cambridge
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,460
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I had a near miss once at Heathrow T5 which gave me a slight fright.

I was in the

CCR1 - Floor level 1

and was heading out with the intention to go along and down the escalators to catch my flight when suddenly out of the corner of my eye I saw a Silver card holder on the same trajectory as me coming down at a rapid speed from Floor Level 2 from GCS.

Thankfully, I took a wide separation to the standard 2-3 metres separation required amongst status holders to avoid actual physical contact but..... it was a close one

(This is in jest just to confirm any doubts!)
Many a true word is spoken in jest!!
PETER01 likes this.
TedToToe is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 5:27 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat
Posts: 453
Originally Posted by fluffymitten View Post
I always find the term 'near miss' interesting.

If you nearly miss something, that suggests you intended to hit it. We really should be saying 'near hit' which is a more accurate description of what nearly happened.

It was a miss, but it was near to being a hit. makes send to me either way
BRITINJAPAN4 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 5:51 pm
  #25  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 42,304
Originally Posted by fluffymitten View Post
I always find the term 'near miss' interesting.

If you nearly miss something, that suggests you intended to hit it. We really should be saying 'near hit' which is a more accurate description of what nearly happened.
If you nearly miss something, doesn't that actually mean that you hit it ( ie that you didnt actually miss it , just nearly missed )
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 7:44 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Posts: 4,923
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I had a near miss once at Heathrow T5 which gave me a slight fright.

I was in the

CCR1 - Floor level 1

and was heading out with the intention to go along and down the escalators to catch my flight when suddenly out of the corner of my eye I saw a Silver card holder on the same trajectory as me coming down at a rapid speed from Floor Level 2 from GCS.

Thankfully, I took a wide separation to the standard 2-3 metres separation required amongst status holders to avoid actual physical contact but..... it was a close one

(This is in jest just to confirm any doubts!)
shocking, everyone knows the lower status cardholder is obliged to take the evasive action

If anybody wants to read my 10,000 word manifesto on how BA needs more red carpets, rose petals and trumpets to accompany CCR card holders it’s available at…
the810, LCSinTexas, plunet and 1 others like this.
lorcancoyle is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 11:47 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 947
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle View Post
shocking, everyone knows the lower status cardholder is obliged to take the evasive action
How is one expected to know another’s status unless luggage tags are prominently displayed on carry-ons?
plunet likes this.
WickedStepMother is online now  
Old Jun 17, 22, 1:41 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,610
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Seems like "an incident", but perhaps not a "serious incident" ?

And there are a lot of "incidents" we never hear about. Even fairly minor things can be classed as an incident (and I wouldn't consider this minor - if the UL had followed the climb instruction, both aircraft might have had their TCAS activate and tell them to take sudden action, and no-one wants that if they can avoid it).
Just in case some people reading all this are nervous flyers, a TCAS manoeuvre is an immediate but gentle manoeuvre, typically 700-1300 feet per minute, which is often less than a normal climb or descent.

It is not a harsh or violent thing, even a reversal where the TCAS advises a greater degree of climb or descent is typically 2000-2500 fpm which would be quite normal in the lower to mid levels and perfectly normal for a descent at upper levels.

I agree we don't want to do a TCAS manoeuvre if possible, but please don't think it is harsh or violent action. Most people onboard would not even notice it happening.

As an aside most minibus aircraft are being fitted with AutoTCAS where the machine flies the manoevre, at least the initial bits.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Jun 17, 22 at 2:45 am
Waterhorse is offline  
Old Jun 17, 22, 2:19 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cambridge
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,460
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother View Post
How is one expected to know another’s status unless luggage tags are prominently displayed on carry-ons?
I believe it's a well known fact around these parts that Silvers are more likely have their tags on prominent display. As to whether this is true or not, I couldn't possibly comment!
TedToToe is offline  
Old Jun 17, 22, 2:53 am
  #30  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 36,863
Originally Posted by Waterhorse View Post
As an aside most minibus aircraft are being fitted with AutoTCAS where the machine flies the manoevre, at least the initial bits.
i have seen it in action on a full motion sim and it’s very impressive. The aircraft basically can fly the whole manoeuvre on autopilot, and returns the aircraft back to the original level once the conflict is passed, with the pilots monitoring.
ExpatExp likes this.
KARFA is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread