Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

No drinks run before dinner in CE these days?

No drinks run before dinner in CE these days?

Old Jun 15, 22, 3:00 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 14
We've done a few CE flights recently and had similar experiences. Most surprising was TFS route which was the same thing.

On the outbound from LHR was a good 45+ minutes after departure until we got a drink in row 2 -we were gasping!

#toflytoserve[nodrinks]
jbee36 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 5:15 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK - South Coast & London
Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Posts: 2,265
My experience over the last couple of months is that service is notably less consistent than it was pre-Covid. Appears to be a combination of poorly trained / less experienced staff, minimum cabin crew and some CC who just cant be bothered.
AAL2887 likes this.
krispy84 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 5:53 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Bloomfield, MI, USA
Programs: DL Silver peon
Posts: 629
Originally Posted by chriswiles View Post
One thing I've learned from American flyers is they don't hesitate to ask.
Yep, many's the time I've flagged down an FA passing by in the aisle, held up my glass, and said, "I'd really love another G&T please." Being politely pro-active works (mostly).
Detroiter is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 6:15 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Posts: 594
Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
Yep, many's the time I've flagged down an FA passing by in the aisle, held up my glass, and said, "I'd really love another G&T please." Being politely pro-active works (mostly).
The record remains 6 no. G&Ts on a LCY - BHD CE route, specifically with 09 take off at LCY and an 04 landing at BHD according the longest possible flight time, significantly longer than LHR - BHD by at least 2 G&Ts. That said, plastic glasses were deployed on landing on BHDs shortish runway prone to crosswinds.
blurt91 and AAL2887 like this.
bd95 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 8:04 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Bloomfield, MI, USA
Programs: DL Silver peon
Posts: 629
Originally Posted by bd95 View Post
The record remains 6 no. G&Ts on a LCY - BHD CE route, specifically with 09 take off at LCY and an 04 landing at BHD according the longest possible flight time, significantly longer than LHR - BHD by at least 2 G&Ts. That said, plastic glasses were deployed on landing on BHDs shortish runway prone to crosswinds.
6???? Between London and Belfast??!! Good Lord! And I thought I could power them down! Are you by any chance full-blooded Irish? I'm only 1/4 Irish, and so am comparatively a lightweight I suppose (damned American mongrels!).
Stephenk82 likes this.
Detroiter is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 11:39 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue.
Posts: 11
Cityflyer is the way to go. ALC - SOU last month I asked for a lager and a white wine, served with a smile with an additional six wines delivered without asking! Roughly one drink ever 15 mins or so .....I know but I was on holiday 🍾🍾🍾
​​
Mojacarman is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 12:14 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: EDI/GLA
Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 2,012
Originally Posted by bd95 View Post
The record remains 6 no. G&Ts on a LCY - BHD CE route, specifically with 09 take off at LCY and an 04 landing at BHD according the longest possible flight time, significantly longer than LHR - BHD by at least 2 G&Ts. That said, plastic glasses were deployed on landing on BHDs shortish runway prone to crosswinds.
I did manage to enjoy four Singletons on LHR-EDI but we had to wait 2h for a gate in EDI so the CC served us another round of drinks totaling 6 by the time we deplaned.
Intl359Widget is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:02 am
  #38  
formerly fdemoulin
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by nozmeister View Post
My Lhr-Pmi flight from a couple of weeks back had drinks runs first before food both ways.

Probably depends on the crew, in my case they were good both ways.
I fly this route monthly and have to admit when they do a drinks run prior to meal service I say how amazing as it is very rare. Cant understand why BA dont have general service standards across the board, always feel it is hit and miss
Robert279 likes this.
fdem is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 3:32 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
Posts: 298
Originally Posted by fdem View Post
I fly this route monthly and have to admit when they do a drinks run prior to meal service I say how amazing as it is very rare. Cant understand why BA dont have general service standards across the board, always feel it is hit and miss
BA do have service standards. Its the inconsistent implementation of them thats the problem.
bafan, krispy84 and jokerjokerj like this.
robertf999 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 4:14 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Glos, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 1,016
If all cabin crew go through the same training school, and presumably have to meet a certain standard in order to graduate, why does the level of service vary so wildly from one flight/route to another?

If pilots have to go back to school once in a while to ensure they are up to standard, does the same not apply to cabin crew?
bafan and AAL2887 like this.
wb1969 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 4:46 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 1,839
Reading through this, I think some members ought to consider going with AA in the future. And I don't mean the airline
ratechaser is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 4:49 am
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 17,397
Reading through this thread greed comes to mind!
Can I help you is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 5:08 am
  #43  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: London, UK and Southern France
Posts: 17,748
Originally Posted by wb1969 View Post
If all cabin crew go through the same training school, and presumably have to meet a certain standard in order to graduate, why does the level of service vary so wildly from one flight/route to another?

If pilots have to go back to school once in a while to ensure they are up to standard, does the same not apply to cabin crew?
Maybe it is just me but I would have thought that a pilot making a mistake in operating the aircraft is of a somewhat different order of importance to cabin crew missing a step in the service standard.
pythonisman likes this.
NickB is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 5:21 am
  #44  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 17,525
Originally Posted by ratechaser View Post
Reading through this, I think some members ought to consider going with AA in the future. And I don't mean the airline
If true then I would not wish to announce how many G&Ts I had consumed in such a short time. Were that my husband, he and I would have a real heart to heart as clearly something would be the matter, We are talking 30 centilitres of gin which is on the way to being half a bottle. Frankly I would be amazed if anyone got off a flight and could walk up a jetway. Stairs might be a challenge. I am old-fashioned and tedious, but races to see who can drink what in the shortest possible time neither do not impress me.

Frankly I find it somewhat irresponsible of the crew member to serve so much to any passenger on such a short flight. I judge no one. I enjoy a drink myself - but whilst they are busy serving this - what if anything is being served to others?
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 5:41 am
  #45  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 30 miles from London
Programs: BA Gold, MUCCI, Fans of MO, Marriott
Posts: 1,356
Originally Posted by Mojacarman View Post
Cityflyer is the way to go. ALC - SOU last month I asked for a lager and a white wine, served with a smile with an additional six wines delivered without asking! Roughly one drink ever 15 mins or so .....I know but I was on holiday 🍾🍾🍾
​​
Yes my BA Cityflyer experiences have been great. In May I did LCY JMK LCY, and the inbound sector in particular was excellent with great service and frequent top ups by the excellent Inflight Manager looking after CE. A Golden Ticket was duly sent to him.
Grande Annee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread