Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No more priority check-in for Bronze at T5?

Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / oneworld Emerald

I passed by Zone H in Terminal 5 yesterday and noticed a change. Tall blue signs for "Priority Check-In" were replaced with black ones. The signs displayed "Club World / Europe" and "Executive Club Silver" along with the OW Emerald and Sapphire ovals. No mention of Bronze or Ruby. I found this to be a bit curious, but I didn't ask about it as I was travelling HBO at the time. No mention of it on the website, and earlier this month there were definitely blue signs referencing Bronze and Ruby.

Given the queue in Zone H when I used it on 1 June, I wouldn't be surprised if BA felt the need to restrict it. Not all that fussed myself as I'm planning to go for Silver this year, but nevertheless interesting.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:28 pm

Bronze check in is now on Zone C with World Traveller Plus.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:46 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
BA need to remove Bronze check in at Club in outstations....(id argue Silver as well, but that wont be popular)
SKT-DK, T8191, Thomathy and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Originally Posted by JL41
The signs displayed "Club World / Europe" and "Executive Club Silver" along with the OW Emerald and Sapphire ovals. No mention of Bronze or Ruby..
BA should not be doing this. How would I know I need to head to some other zone? I may as well assume the perk is gone and take the long queue.

One of the benefits of Bronze I enjoy is I can walk to any Business Class check-in for AA, AY or BA (?) and avoid the long lines. Ironically I should be silver already if it was not for BA failing to credit my J QR ticket for soon to be 4 months.
ttama and citiflyerUK like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
BA need to remove Bronze check in at Club in outstations....(id argue Silver as well, but that wont be popular)
I tend to agree; check in at Cape Town a couple of days ago the 'priority' lane was barely shorter than the economy line. Some do it well - generally the ones that put a line each for gold/first, silver/club, bronze/WTP & economy & have a member of staff police the front of the queues - but where it's just one big pile & they only open one or two desks, it's a mess.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by xxxxx
Bronze check in is now on Zone C with World Traveller Plus.
Thanks, makes sense. Seems it's been that way at Gatwick for a couple of months already. Tbh, it seems sensible now that there are dedicated WTP desks.

Originally Posted by OGG flyer
BA should not be doing this. How would I know I need to head to some other zone? I may as well assume the perk is gone and take the long queue.

One of the benefits of Bronze I enjoy is I can walk to any Business Class check-in for AA, AY or BA (?) and avoid the long lines. Ironically I should be silver already if it was not for BA failing to credit my J QR ticket for soon to be 4 months.
BA website still says "business class check-in whenever you fly". Seems that this change has been in the works since Feb so they should really update it. Would be mildly annoying if you walked over to H as WTP check-in is on the opposite side of T5.
umgowah and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by drwook
but where it's just one big pile & they only open one or two desks, it's a mess.
Gatwick south terminal last month. A total mess.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:41 am

I haven't flown BA during the recent chaos but the last few times I did need to check a bag on BA out of T5 it was quickest to use the self service machines anyway - Club check in always had a queue whereas they were empty. Not that it seems to make much difference but the tags do print out with "priority" on them and I can't think of any other potential benefit of going to a CW desk!

Otherwise I would also concur with an outstation policy of Gold + J only. Somewhere like a Tenerife where you've got 48 CE passengers + all status passengers in one "priority" line is silly. Especially as in my experience these passengers spend much longer at the desk vs statusless ET passengers just dropping off bags
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
longer at the desk due to to DYKWIA?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Im quite relaxed about this. Given no WTP on short haul and big Club cabins, and the fact that by definition while there are more Bronze card holders they fly less often than Silvers, I can well imagine less people eligible per day than Club. Obviously slightly depends on the relative size of the check-in zones.
SxMan and JL41 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
MLA ... QED ...

Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Maybe you need a PGberkshire only check-in line with your own sign?

All joking aside, there have been a lot of threads recently (including this one) where the argument seems to be that anyone with a status lower than oneself should be in a separate queue, should have a lower boarding priority etc. It's starting to get a little tedious, but that's just my view on it. Others will no doubt disagree.
NickB, Jimmie76, bmiStar and 20 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
OW states that Ruby members have access to "Business Class priority check-in," so if BA wants to play rogue by degrading the benefit (by sending pax to WTP check-in) or denying it altogether, I hope OW comes down with some sort of enforcement.

The simple solution is to adjust the staffing ratio between priority and non-priority counters/areas, e.g., in the MLA photo above, BA should reallocate counter 26 for J so that it has two J counters and one Y counter.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Last time I was at Gatwick, there was no one in the WTP queue, and about a dozen in the Club+ queue. 🙄
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Maybe you need a PGberkshire only check-in line with your own sign?

All joking aside, there have been a lot of threads recently (including this one) where the argument seems to be that anyone with a status lower than oneself should be in a separate queue, should have a lower boarding priority etc. It's starting to get a little tedious, but that's just my view on it. Others will no doubt disagree.
Of course, if there is a GGL check in that would be great, gets me away from Club check in in SH and First/Gold in LH

On a serious note, there is a big difference between Bronze and GGL - thats a big gap, especially at an out station where its that or blue. Having another level of segmentation isnt a bad idea. Lets face it, you dont get to GGL by not flying, and loyalty should be rewarded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.